Thread: 62.9i install

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

62.9i install

I just purchased a set of the infinity 62.9i's wit the crossover. For some reason the writeup is not displaying the pics up top... What wires on the speaker are the tweeter and the woofer? Also I heard some people had problems with these distorting, should I just return them and get the 3ohm kenwoods as I'm told it wont really hurt the amp.
    Dan-

RED
    2001 CAMARO ss

the speakers in our cars with the twitter only are the rear . i would not install speakers with twitter in the front or middle because the oem amp is not made that way .

sponsor kee audio has speakers for our cars how good are they do not know

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Can you post a pic of the speaker?

RED
    2001 CAMARO ss

i myself do not have the speakers from Kee Audio and if you go to the website they do not show them either . i have been looking into speakers myself and price them between $ 250.00 to $400.00 some that will work with the oem amp .

as long the front , middle speakers do not have the twitter you should be fine

Impounded

'00 Z28 M6 NBM
    I piss excellence.

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    I just purchased a set of the infinity 62.9i's wit the crossover. For some reason the writeup is not displaying the pics up top... What wires on the speaker are the tweeter and the woofer? Also I heard some people had problems with these distorting, should I just return them and get the 3ohm kenwoods as I'm told it wont really hurt the amp.
    Dan-
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this is a good idea with the factory amplifier. Replacement speakers or a package from Kee Audio is about all that's gonna sound decent from the factory wiring+amplifier.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

The ohm rating may be different which will throw everything off horribly. For example, I think the woofers in the rear panels are 8ohm dual voice coils- if you purchase a 4ohm single, then you have extra wires and your woofer will sound distorted and really loud. Best bet is to either go with the same ohm setup or just scrap the whole thing and build from scratch.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

OK let me try to clear all this up for anyone who wants to do this install as it sounds fantastic. ^First off if you have a camaro the speakers in the front and sail subs are 2ohm impedance the firebirds have 4ohms. On the 62.9's there is a cross over box with 4 wires coming out of the back 2 wires go on top of the magnet under the label these are the tweeter wires I cut them and soldered them into the factory tweeter wires then simply connected the midrange wires from the car to the crossover box that now only goes to the woofer part of the speaker. The stock amp handles them just fine I believe the monsoon system works by only amplifying midrange the tweeters are powered by the head unit. As far as kee audio goes they are good replacements if you just want to splice and go however you simply cant compare them to these infinitys.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

I definitely agree that you can't compare- Infinity and MB Quart are my top two mid-up speakers. Been using them for years (have a 12 year old set of MB Quarts that still sound awesome).

NBM
    1998 Z28

I went to Ebay and bought a pair of 62.7i speakers and installed them. I think they sound Good as in Better than stock. Much simpler to do.

red
    2002 ss camaro

My 02 ss has all the speakers powered by the amp, the doors,including the tweeters, sails and the rear 4''.I replaced my sails with 4 ohm full range twins, took the wires that were for the rear hatch which are full range and switched them at the ampfor the sails,i then put 4" 4 ohm in the rear hatch and took the feed off the 4 ohm sails, which gave me a 2 ohm load, my original sail sub amp output is now in the back, i plan on putting a converter in to hook up a amp for my 2-
    4 ohm subs, the amp is 4 channel, can bridge the frt and rear to run each spkr. Not sure if this will work, but i had all the stuff, i do need to buy frt door spkrs, "blown", jbl makes a 2 ohm 6.5, probably anything would work
    though off the relatively low output monsoon amp.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Found this on the web....

Camaro time bomb
    Written by Brian on February 9, 2009 – 7:42 am -

My wife’s Camaro just went into self-destruct mode. It seems like all at once, everything broke. The thing is 8 years old but it has low miles, and we take good care of it. The windshield cracked, the brakes warped, the differential’s making noise, the speakers blew, and the battery gave up the ghost.

The most challenging repair was the speakers. She has the premium Monsoon sound system, and it has some crazy components. The front 6½” speakers have separate inputs for the woofer and tweeter, with the crossover in the head unit. My first thought was to simply frankenstein together some aftermarket speakers by bypassing the crossover in the speaker, but I was horribly wrong. It turns out that they used 2Ω woofers and 4Ω tweeters! Most aftermarket speakers have 4Ω voice coils, which would mean crappy bass response. I looked up the price of the factory replacement speakers, and they were $90 EACH!

A quick internet search found that many people had suffered this situation and found a solution with Infinity’s Kappa speakers, which have 2Ω voice coils. I picked up a pair of 60.9cs component speakers, and wired ‘em up. The main dilemma came when I read a little on impedence matching. It turns out that most amps can easily drive speakers with higher impedence than rated, but using a lower impedence speaker can damage your amp. I was worried that the 2Ω tweeters would cause problems. The increased power would also mean overwhelming highs. You could solve this by going to your local RadioShack and wiring a couple 1Ω – 10 watt resistors in series with the tweeter, but I chose to just hook up the included crossover to the tweeter and use the -6dB button to reduce the output (RadioShack was out of the resistors I needed).

The Kappas sound awesome, and they’re loud enough to drown out the horrible noise coming from the rear end! Let’s just hope nothing else breaks!

Thread Information