Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

6.5" Components in Hatch?

Is it possible/feasible to install 6.5" components in the hatch area?

The reason I ask, is that I can get much better 6.5" components for LESS than crappier 4" components....

unless someone can point me to some cheap, high-quality 4" components... I was eyeing the CL-41s from CDT... but they are expensive... moreso than the 6500s I'm looking at from eD..

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Why even bother with components for the rear? Rear mounted speakers that don't have delay added (like in a true surround sound setup) are a waste of money. Do the install of the front speakers right and you will never miss the hatch speakers. The only speakers I have in my car besides the subs are the components in the doors yet whenever I demo my setup for people they never fail to ask me what kind of speakers I have in back. Often times I have to pop off the grills just to prove to them that there are no speakers behind them.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

well, I will have delay... I haven't had a stereo in years without time delay...

and mostly I have the hatch speakers for tailgate parties... which is why I'm not concerned with getting the highest quality components... like the edi6000s would suffice...

but every car I've been in, with just the components up front, seem to be 'missing' something... just an overall 'fullness'... I don't know why, and maybe it's just a personal preference...

so, to squeeze 6.5" woofers back there, I would probably need to go custom, or do you think there is enough room?

otherwise, what 4" components do you recommend?

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

A 6-1/2" is too much speaker to be mounting into a flimsy panel like those in the hatch area. The bass will no doubt cause it to rattle and sound terrible. On top of that mounting it to such a flimsy surface would result in lost bass reproduction since the energy from the speaker would be getting transferred into vibrating the panel instead of the air. Just a 4" mid should be all the speaker you need really. I wouldn't even worry about having a tweeter to go with it.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

well, I'd need the tweeter for the tailgate parties...

someone suggested I just make my own component setup from parts at madisound.com... but I wouldn't know which tweeter would match with which 4" woofer... which is why I'd prefer to find a decent 4" component prebuilt...

I wonder if I could possibly power the exhisting rear 4" and tweeter off of my 4ch? I'd have to build a crossover though, since all that was built into the monsoon amp...

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

I'd be willing to bet that if you and your friends are outside of the car talking and what not you wouldn't be able to tell whether there was a tweeter being used or not. I just can't see anyone in that situation doing "critical listening" to the sound system.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

well the tweeter is so cheap anyhow... not that it's such a big deal.. may as well have the whole setup...

I've noticed in these cars, that the rear tweeter really doesn't bother me that much, because of the way the seats tend to block them... I never get distracted by the rear...

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Bro I dont know what kind of system you plan on putting in your car but if you replace all four 6.5's in the front and back seat areas..with decent speakers and have a nice amp on them .. You should be able to hear them more than clear and loud for your "tailgate" parties with the trunk up or down..

I can have my trunk closed and windows down and you can hear my system clearly words and all a few hundred feet away .. its equipment .. sound setup .. and quality ... if you have an eq or good DSP then you can set your speakers equally so the bass doesnt drown them out .. if you set your system up properly... I play mine at the beach .. parties all sorts of things outside ... and have never put speakers back in the rear side panels ..

like the other guy said there too flimsy, nothing behind them and they would do nothing but rattle .. get two good sets of 6.5s for the front kick panels and the rears beside the back seats and your done

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

I was thinking of going with some 6.5" subs for the sails again, because I used to have the 6x9s in my old firebird right there, and it pulled the image back too much...

and you're right... the hatch speakers definitely are not for bass... so I'd probably stay with a 4" component... unless I reinforced the area enough to hold a 6.5"

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

I'm interested in the 4" components in the rear sails as well I have no clue how to even begin. So far I have the stock head unit, replaced the front and mid panel monsoon speakers with Alpine S components in the front and 6.5 alpine S in the mid panels I just bought a JL audio e6450 to power them I bought the 6 channel for the rear speakers later, but right now I have an Xtant A6001 connected through a rca transistion box that's connected to the rear speakers pushing a JL Audio 10W3V2 sub. The Xtant amp has RCA outputs to link up amps so Im just going to run that over to the JL amp. Im just going to split the power with a block and ground the new amp and jump the turn on lead from the xtant over to the JL amp. I have all new speaker wire ran to the back for when the amp gets here. Well see how it sounds I'm also going to see how it sounds to push everything off of the jl amp - if it sounds good I'll just sell the Xtant - that's my plan at least. I'm new at this so we'll see how it turns out... If anyone sees a major issue with this setup functionality wise let me know I'll take all the advice I can get. It's what I can afford for now so please no return the alpine and get focal comments - not rich yet and there already installed. thanks.

Thread Information