40 hz Equalizer Seemingly Doing Nothing

I finally have new speakers on my '99 TA and decided to play around with the equalizer, which I probably hadn't done in a long time. Everything affects the sound, except for the 40 hz slider. I checked and the new speakers don't go down that far and probably neither do the factory speakers (still have two of them). I'm assuming that setting only affects frequencies below 40. Edit: except maybe for the subwoofer? If the system doesn't go below 40, then why does the head unit even have that slider? If it should make a difference, then I have to worry about the equalizer being broken, installation error, or hearing loss in me.
    Last edited by clovenhooves; 02-01-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

40Hz is a relatively low frequency so I'm guessing that's the low by-pass cut-off for the sub/s. If that's the case, you wouldn't hear the sound effect difference from the front/rear door speakers, only the rear hatch speaker.

This is all assuming your system is set-up similar to that of 01/02 Camaro's. We don't have an equalizer though so I'm just throwing around ideas right now.

That makes sense. I don't hear any difference in the hatch. I confirmed there's audio there, but maybe the bottom end was disconnected. If the hatch subwoofer (there's just one?) were blown, there would be noise, but it would be muddled, right?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

In most cases a blown speaker still has sound.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Okay. I suppose if it were blown when I brought it in, the installer would have tried to sell me a new one.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by clovenhooves View Post
    That makes sense. I don't hear any difference in the hatch. I confirmed there's audio there, but maybe the bottom end was disconnected. If the hatch subwoofer (there's just one?) were blown, there would be noise, but it would be muddled, right?
    I don't know what your set up is but the hatch speakers are not the subs from the factory. The oem subs are in your sail panels in the back seat.

Sent from Motorola ATRIX 4G on Tapatalk
    2000 T/A-DMH Cutout, SLP Cold Air kit, FTRA/SLP Upgrade, SLP Bilstein, LT1 Eibach ProKit, Kuhmo PA31 Tires ,SLP Fan Switch, UMI Double Adj PHB w/ Roto-Joints, UMI LCARB, Strano 35/22mm Sway Bars , Magnecor KV85 Wires, Hurst Shifter, Lou's Short Stick.

Ah. Thanks. So there's no powered subwoofer in the car? Then maybe the new speakers don't go as low as the old ones, which stinks if true.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

So, the EQ doesn't make any difference on the 40Hz scale. Even when I had the factory sail panel subs, the 40Hz slider had a decent effect on the ultra-low bass. These factory 6.5'' subs were never known for outstanding low frequency power, but did ok. They actually have a voice coil built in as well. But, they would either rip the foam surround for the cone (making them sound horrible), or quit altogether (which I think has happened to you). So what I think is happening in your case is both the OE subs are not working, and your remaining 4 (actually 8) speakers are still ok, in that case giving you almost no bass.

You say you replaced some speakers, were they the hatch speakers? These are not the factory subs. Factory subs (in the sail panel) have a crossover that won't let them play fequencies over ~500 Hz. I fixed mine by removing the OE sail-panel subs, connecting the wiring from them into a RF Punch amp, powering (2) 10'' subs, and have all the ass-kicking, forearm hair vibrating bass I need now. This way I still have the low filter for the subs going into the amp, and still have the remaining OE speakers. Anyone who has ridden in Too Fast is always impressed with the sound quality, and my ears are ringing right now from the volume from my drive home. Wait, what did I just say? I can't hear anything!

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Ah. Thanks. So there's no powered subwoofer in the car? Then maybe the new speakers don't go as low as the old ones, which stinks if true.
    Think of speakers as highs, mids and lows. Instead of tweeters, subs, etc. You have should have highs and mids in the doors and rear hatch and then sail has the lows. If you replaced speakers and didn't match the ohm impedance, it can through off the speakers response. Its also possible your hu is shot. But would check the sail panel speaker out first, especially if its the one you didn't replace.

The sail panels are the ones just behind the doors? Those were shot and replaced with a brand commonly recommended here and a model (2 ohms) stated by the installer himself as the right choice - and then I find out it doesn't go below 50 hz

Black
    2000 Trans Am

The sail panels are the ones just behind the doors? Those were shot and replaced with a brand commonly recommended here and a model (2 ohms) stated by the installer himself as the right choice - and then I find out it doesn't go below 50 hz
    The subs are dual voice coil
    6.5" (4- ohm + 4- ohm) in Firebirds not 2-ohm like the Camaro's.

Sent from Motorola ATRIX 4G on Tapatalk

?! One blown speaker - it's become an absolute nightmare

Thread Information