Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

4 subs in one box

I've got a 'secret' project i just started today. Going to try and fit all 4 of my 10" subs in one box in the back of the bird. Only problem is, I don't have the space for 4 separate chambers inside. the rough dimension inside of the box will amount to about 2.7 cubic feet, which is right around .67 or so for each sub, which falls within the 'tight' parameter for ONE sub in a sealed box. Only question I have, is will they work properly in one big chamber, or should I port it? Am I out of my mind? Trust me,they fit, it ain't bad lookin either, just cramped :-P

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

.67 cubic foot per sub is too much of a compromise IMO. I'd go with a pair of 12's instead. And since a properly designed ported enclosure is always gonna be larger than a sealed enclosure simply porting the box you're thinking of isn't gonna cut it. There's a lot more to it than just sticking a port in the box.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Well, I'm pretty sure i decided against all 4 and I'm going to go with 3 instead. However, once I get the rest of the box built I'm going to look into maybe putting all 4 in there. We'll see what happens. "Properly" done or not, it's going to be something.

Another Black
    02 Z28

Can't even wedge a sheet of quarter inch plywood in there between them? I know it's not the best but if you're dead set on the setup then that could help prevent the subs from over powering each other. Because they're be pressure on both sides of the board. I did this when a friend insisted his two twelves just had to fit under the seat in his suburban. Cranked it up and nothing blew. I think the key is balanced pressure on both sides of the chamber preventing deflection of the thinner material and so that it won't cause standing waves and can focus the sound back out the cone. Not sharp on the physics of how it worked but that's my best stab and it's been running strong for a couple years now.
    The incredible X

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Well, i wired up all 3 as to put a 4ohm load on the amp and the DVC sub in the middle hit harder than the other two, so I'm going to make 4 chambers in the box, run two amps and run all 4 subs, 3 up top a-la subthump style, and one on the very bottom of the box facing down.

Another Black
    02 Z28

I assume that you wired two in series and then ran them in parallel to the third one. Of course the single parallel one will hit harder. It has more current going to it. Voltage is divided in series, current is divided in parallel. One speaker is getting half the current while the other two are getting just a quarter. This will make a very serious sound difference as you have found out. Glad you didn't smoke the third leg. Good way to wire a pair of 6x9 with a single 10 or twelve sub. Well, not exactly good, but it works with the different power handling capabilities. Just in case you ever want to try it again.

White/Black
    1999 Camaro z28

4 is just stupid.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

Two 10's or 12's would be more than enough. I have seen 2 15's score a little over 168 db. I am only going to run 1 Fi Q 10" on a Rockford P1000db and it will probably be a little too much at times. What kind of subs/amps/caps, will you be running? Factory style batter and factory alternator?

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I try not to get hung up on details. I'm not doing it for competiton or sound quality, I'm just doing this to say that I did it, thats all, nothing more, nothing less. The way I look at it, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Stock alternator, Stock style battery. 4 Xtant 10" subwoofers (2-4ohm SVC, 2-4ohm DVC), One Pioneer 760w (bridged @ 4ohms) amp, and a hand-me-down Jensen '200w' (bridged@4ohm) amp. Going to run the DVC subs off the pioneer and the SVC off of the jensen. Panasonic HU (not installed yet, going to order HUmount), stock door/sail speakers (will be upgraded with Blaupunkt component set at least in front, probably in sails too). 4 Gauge wire from battery back to dist. block, then powering each sub individually. Anything else?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

4x10's in that poor car! DO YOU HATE YOUR HATCH THAT MUCH!!!

Black
    1998 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    4x10's in that poor car! DO YOU HATE YOUR HATCH THAT MUCH!!!
    Yeah man, with my 2 12's back there it sounds like my car is going to fall apart.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I put 2 10" Pioneers in the back of mine, I have so much bass now my teeth rattle. Have an amp for them also. The rest of the stereo is stock. The rear rattles so bad now unless I flip them up (the subs) to load the t-tops. Then I still have great bass without the whole back of the car rattling.

last of the breed... urstolendesire's Avatar

Red
    2002 Transam

i was in your boat man, in my camaro i had 2 10"s, 2 12"s, 3 amps, and 2 capacitors. ya thats a bad idea...it sounds awsome, but now that i've take the box out to sell it everything has rattled loose back there and it sounds like its fallin apart...

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

have you bought the 4x 10"
    If not, why not get a high-end 10" that will sound better and have plenty of power.
    something like the:
    http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...n_US&p_status=
    or
    http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=5

Would be more than enough... and sound better, plus save space.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I've had all 4 of these subs for a few years now, they are getting dated but for what I have they work fine.

Thread Information