Thread: 1999 z28 audio

White
    1999 Z28

1999 z28 audio

Are the door speakers 6.5 inch? I would like to take the grill off but I tried and am afraid I will crack the door panel. In that case, what is the safest way to take off the door panel? Any help would be awesome. Thanks guys. (2 part question I know)

victory red
    2002 z28

well i just did my 02 z28 door speaker and i did break one of the tabs on the grill.you just got to be care ful with it but when you put it back on throw a bit of glue on the corners and your good.mine has been for a while now.as far as the door pop out the window switch and the panel behind the door handle with a screw then the door panel should slide off upwards.like i said just be care full with it when you do it and go slow.also the door panel has clips that go in. probably your best bet might be get a haynes manual.i just kinda figured mine out........the speakers i believe are 6.5 but if you have the stock unit and wiring a regular after market speaker will not work.i tried. i have the 500 watt monsoon system in mine and it takes 2 connections with 2 wires a piece.real wierd set up. hope that helps you at all.

White
    1999 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by myzisbetter View Post
    well i just did my 02 z28 door speaker and i did break one of the tabs on the grill.you just got to be care ful with it but when you put it back on throw a bit of glue on the corners and your good.mine has been for a while now.as far as the door pop out the window switch and the panel behind the door handle with a screw then the door panel should slide off upwards.like i said just be care full with it when you do it and go slow.also the door panel has clips that go in. probably your best bet might be get a haynes manual.i just kinda figured mine out........the speakers i believe are 6.5 but if you have the stock unit and wiring a regular after market speaker will not work.i tried. i have the 500 watt monsoon system in mine and it takes 2 connections with 2 wires a piece.real wierd set up. hope that helps you at all.

Well damn. I do indeed have the monsoon system as well. It does sound good, but I was looking into getting an alpine setup. Being it wont work, do you have to re wire the whole thing? That sounds like a pain?

victory red
    2002 z28

well if your gonna replace the whole system wiring and all then it shouldnt be to hard.just be patient with following the harness under the dash and get good speaker wire thats all.

Bright Red
    99 Z28 M6, 03 Gixxer 1000

I replaced my whole system in my 99 Z28. There is good write up with pictures on how to remove the door panels. They are not that hard if you use the write up. I am not 100% sure, but I think you have to remove the door panels to get out the speaker. I wouldn't try to get them out without taking it off. I have Alpine 6.5" speakers in my front door panels and in the sail panels. They fit perfect.

victory red
    2002 z28

yeah you definetly gotta take the door panels off cause you cant get to the speaker screws opther wise.unles you feel like breaking stuff

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

also, on my car atleast, the tabs for the speaker grill were plastic welded from factory, so these grills arent coming off

Thread Information