12 Disc Player Problems

This is a discussion on 12 Disc Player Problems within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; I have 1998 monsoon system in my Z28. Ihave a 12disc player and when I load the discs and turn ...

Cherry Red
    1998 Z28 Camaro

12 Disc Player Problems

I have 1998 monsoon system in my Z28. Ihave a 12disc player and when I load the discs and turn on my head unit I get a "ERR" message. Iv'e tried everything-disconnect power,turn the discs up or down but i still get that dreaded message "ERR" My radio works perfect, good sound . I bought the car with the factory unit in it . AM/FM Cassette and 12 Disc Changer. I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem.

triple black
    02 z28 m6

are you certain that the holding piece is rightside up and the cds are upside down?

Cherry Red
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Thumbs up 12 Disc Problems

Thanks for the reply: I 've tried different things with the disc player. I have loaded the player with 12 discs,removed cover from player and viewed operation. The player goes through the normal operations-checks for discs and indicate on the head unit that the disc is loaded and number of tracks
    to play. When I press to play , I get a "err" message on the head unit.The unit plays cassettes with no problem and receives AM/FM stations with no problem. I hate to get another disc player unless I'm postive that the unit is bad. Does anyone out there know where I could get detailed information on the Monsoon with cassette and 12 disc player. I believe this was a option in 98 with the Z28. The car is a "HOSS" of a car for cars nowadays. I've had 57 chevy,68 Super Sport Chevelle and rebuilt a 55 chevy. I really like this Camaro with the LS1 engine. Everything works perfect except that disc player. What would be a good replacement for the 12 disc player? Thanks for the help.

First thing to do is make sure you are installing the discs upsidedown. What I mean is the disc has to go in with label facing down.

If these are installed as you would in a typical CD player,,,then you will get an error,,,,,if the problem were more severe then you would actually get error codes flashed at you,,,which makes me think you simply don't have the CD's in the carriers in the "upsidedown" position.

If that is not the problem then I have found that taking the case/cover off and cleaning/servicing the inside usually cures most error problems.

those things get so dirty from being in the trunk it's unbelievable,,,and the things some people put in the trunk don't help. Some of those CD players get pretty nasty inside. A good cleaning usually has them working good as new in my experience. I take mine apart for a clean every couple years, works like a champ.

After a good cleaning and you still get an error code,,,,then you have some problems. Since parts are no longer available for them,,,,some company bought the rights to everything,,,so GM can no longer sell the parts.
    All they can do is take yours in exchange for a remanufactured unit, something I hate to do. Since the reman ones only come with the new style face which is not correct for the older units. Only seperate part available from GM for the CD player is the actual cartridge that holds the CD's for around $60.00

Only other option would be to buy a used one from ebay or some other place,,,,but it's risky at best,,,as usually they are being sold for the same reason. Generally they go in the $100 range regularly,,,alot to spend on a used unit that may or may not work.
    Hope that helps,,,cheers, Larry.

Cherry Red
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Smile Fixed CD Changer Problem

Thanks for info -Firebird. I took your advise and cleaned the unit and everything is back to normal. I was really surprised how dirty a player can get in the back of the Camaro. Again thanks for the help. Knightryder Z28

Good to hear, glad I could help with something, cheers.

Thread Information