1.5 DIN Power Acoustik DVD/TV

This is a discussion on 1.5 DIN Power Acoustik DVD/TV within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; I found a Power Acoustik DVD player with TV tuner that has a single DIN chassis, but a 1.5 DIN ...

Red
    1998 A4 TA

1.5 DIN Power Acoustik DVD/TV

I found a Power Acoustik DVD player with TV tuner that has a single DIN chassis, but a 1.5 DIN faceplate. It doesn't look nearly as tacky as some other double DIN stereos I've seen IMO. I've never heard of Power Acoustik, so if anyone can let me know what kind of quality they are, I might just order one. It scares me that it's under $300.

Here's a link, check it it:
    Power Acoustik PTID-4300TV In-Dash DVD/TV

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrad2 View Post
    I found a Power Acoustik DVD player with TV tuner that has a single DIN chassis, but a 1.5 DIN faceplate. It doesn't look nearly as tacky as some other double DIN stereos I've seen IMO. I've never heard of Power Acoustik, so if anyone can let me know what kind of quality they are, I might just order one. It scares me that it's under $300.

Here's a link, check it it:
    Power Acoustik PTID-4300TV In-Dash DVD/TV

Power Acoustik is a cheap brand. I would say sound quality would be not too good. Would probably look ok though. I think the other day I seen a single din with LCD dvd player for about the same price made by dual. Thing is, for $300, you can't expect great sound.

red
    1999 WS6

Can anyone suggest a good unit?

2002 Z28

What do you want it to do? I have a 06 model Kenwood x790 cd/mp3 and very happy with the sound and every feature I would need. Just a standard Cd/mp3 player though, no 7 inch screen etc..

Red
    1998 A4 TA

When this comes out for sale, I think I'm going to order one and review it. If it's junk I'll throw it up on ebay.

I've seen people modify their cars to fit double DINs, but are there good instructions somewhere with pictures that shows how they did it? Does someone sell new molding that goes around the stereo or do people just modify those?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

When this comes out for sale, I think I'm going to order one and review it. If it's junk I'll throw it up on ebay.

I've seen people modify their cars to fit double DINs, but are there good instructions somewhere with pictures that shows how they did it? Does someone sell new molding that goes around the stereo or do people just modify those?
    it is seriously a piece of junk!

2002 Z28

You had me thinking though, that it would be cool to have a small video player in dash..not so much for my Camaro, but I have a 03 Dodge Caravan we use to put miles on trips and to the store. Would be a cool thing to have and sound quality wouldn't be a issue as much. I was looking all over ebay and there are about 10 different generic companies that make single din cd/mp3/dvd/with video screen built in players..everything from Boss, Dual, one your talking about etc from $130-$400+ with everything from 2 to 4 inch screens... Then I seen a Jensen single din with a 7 inch touch screen that flips up. I have seen these in person at a local car audio shop and picture quality on the screen was as good as Alpine. Sound quality I am sure is not as good, but overall I think it would be a better value/performance than those really really cheap brands. Plus the price was around $300. If I were going to get any cheap ones like that, the Jensen one would be it. check out the Jensen, you probably be happier with a bigger screen and I know they are nice and clear, really makes a difference when viewing. I have a portable 10.2 inch Philips DVD and picture is excellent..I also had some really cheap 7 inch portables and picture was ok, and I had 1 really really cheap one in 8 inch off ebay and picture was blurry and crap, I used it 2 weeks and was giving me a headache, so has sat ever since.
    Also you have to think, the unit is most likley not a true 1.5 din, just has a adaptor to look like it, which is really a single din with a install kit. They already have those models out, just the 06 version which looks almost the same and some even look better. If hellbent on a in dash one without a flip screen the only way to go and have good sound and video would be the JVC AV models.

Red
    1998 A4 TA

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    it is seriously a piece of junk!
    maybe, but i'm going to try it. I haven't read anything but good reviews on their amps and subs, and poweracoustik's navigation system got best of show in CES 2007, so maybe it won't be so bad.

Red
    1998 A4 TA

Quote Originally Posted by rotwiler View Post
    You had me thinking though, that it would be cool to have a small video player in dash..not so much for my Camaro, but I have a 03 Dodge Caravan we use to put miles on trips and to the store. Would be a cool thing to have and sound quality wouldn't be a issue as much. I was looking all over ebay and there are about 10 different generic companies that make single din cd/mp3/dvd/with video screen built in players..everything from Boss, Dual, one your talking about etc from $130-$400+ with everything from 2 to 4 inch screens... Then I seen a Jensen single din with a 7 inch touch screen that flips up. I have seen these in person at a local car audio shop and picture quality on the screen was as good as Alpine. Sound quality I am sure is not as good, but overall I think it would be a better value/performance than those really really cheap brands. Plus the price was around $300. If I were going to get any cheap ones like that, the Jensen one would be it. check out the Jensen, you probably be happier with a bigger screen and I know they are nice and clear, really makes a difference when viewing. I have a portable 10.2 inch Philips DVD and picture is excellent..I also had some really cheap 7 inch portables and picture was ok, and I had 1 really really cheap one in 8 inch off ebay and picture was blurry and crap, I used it 2 weeks and was giving me a headache, so has sat ever since.
    Also you have to think, the unit is most likley not a true 1.5 din, just has a adaptor to look like it, which is really a single din with a install kit. They already have those models out, just the 06 version which looks almost the same and some even look better. If hellbent on a in dash one without a flip screen the only way to go and have good sound and video would be the JVC AV models.
    I'll definatley check out Jensen and JVC. I haven't seen any others that had a 1.5 DIN size screen. Do the double DIN one's have to stick out an inch to fit? That's what I really don't want, and I like the built-in screen look. I'm trying to find more info on modding the dash slightly to fit a double DIN screen too.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

maybe, but i'm going to try it. I haven't read anything but good reviews on their amps and subs, and poweracoustik's navigation system got best of show in CES 2007, so maybe it won't be so bad.
    Yeah, then a month later they take a shit!

Red
    1998 A4 TA

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Yeah, then a month later they take a shit!
    comes with 1 year warranty, so it better last that long.
    Last edited by Cyrad2; 06-27-2007 at 05:55 PM. Reason: typo

2002 Z28

I'll definatley check out Jensen and JVC. I haven't seen any others that had a 1.5 DIN size screen. Do the double DIN one's have to stick out an inch to fit? That's what I really don't want, and I like the built-in screen look. I'm trying to find more info on modding the dash slightly to fit a double DIN screen too.
    If I seen correctly it didn't have a 1.5 din I thought it said a single din with a adaptor to work with 1.5 din. The others are single din with the screen that comes out and flips up, but much bigger screen. If it is a single din with a adaptor, then it does nothing more than what a single din is with a install kit. I have a flush mount kit and the Kenwood I have doesn't stick out at all. There are different kits available. I had to cut the stock stereo brace behind the HU to make it flush and to fit with the aftermarket hu, but doesn't hurt anything.
    Ok I looked at the specs again and the info on it. Says it is a single din, with a 1.5 din face. So that means you will need a install kit that will make the over size face fit without hitting the dash. What I get out of that, is it is a standard size, but the face must hang over, so it is not a 1.5 size and would stick out no matter how you install it. They are selling the oversize ones already on ebay.

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

I have a jensen 7inch dvd. it's 1 din. and it sticks out. mainly because of the mount i bought. if you get a flush mount for it, you'll be fine. it will still stick out a little. but even a regular radio is going to stick out some.. i have had no problems with the picture, or sound. and it plays mp3, bla bla.. you can hook up an ipod with an adapter too. and they can be had for about $300.

honsetly though, i would look for the double din from jensen. it's pretty sweet looking, and it can be set up for navigation. and if i remember correctly, it's touchscreen.

Thread Information