Red
    '97 Z28 M6

* final INSTALL PICS of custom single 12" partial well box enclosure *

Decided a new thread would be best for this since the other one was loaded with progress pics that probably take forever to load for some people -- just need the new amp for now -- the other one mounted here is for my front components (note that nothing is wired).

- In short, the reason I did this was so that I could run a single 12", maintain trunk space, and have a stealth look by allowing the well cover to cover it when I want to hide it.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

whoa man...thats pretty damn cool. its really niclely done. awesome craftsmanship and skills on that. id almost say id take one but i want dual 12's so im out but ayways, awesome job, keep up the great work

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

I have 2 12"s and it no cake walk, cant even get the spare tire out, even if i take the sub box out...

Regards,
    Todd

#cajunhotrodder on instagram

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

you know...they sell stealth boxes that fit in the little cubby-you didn't need to fab one?

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    you know...they sell stealth boxes that fit in the little cubby-you didn't need to fab one?
    Why does everyone tell me that?

1 - I don't have $112+ shipping to pay for a box I could make for under $30 (given I had glue, silicone, etc at hand and mainly just needed MDF and carpet).

2 - I wanted a 12" sub -- there is not enough volume in the cubby for a 12" sub (.6 cu.ft) and I didn't want a box visible in the hatch since I plan on having my car down on campus next year.

3 - I have another amp I hid there (yes I know there were other options for this, rear amp rack, etc....) that powers my front components (well...I'm putting those in right after I type this).

4 - I wanted to try something different and felt that this was the best way to have a 12" sub and still maintain trunk space under the sub and amp rack.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

very nice

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Box and amp board possibly for sale soon -- would need 2 boards/rails/whatever you can think of to run across the well for them to sit on to make this work.

Reason: I was not satisfied with the TC-9 driver and will be getting a TC-2000 instead, thus needing/wanting a larger box.

Quick Details: sealed, ~.85 cu.ft without a driver installed, fiberglass included if desired, 11" cutout diameter

PM if interested or if you have questions -- more build/install photos available here: http://picasaweb.google.com/fredmr

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

How is the Bass? I found if my subs are pointed like that, bass sounds like doo. With my flip up box I have to put a board under the side closest to the seat to direct sound back toward the hatch, then it sounds good again.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

I found myself in the same predicament. I wanted a lot of bass, but wanted to sacrifice as little trunk space as possible; I also wanted to keep a place to store my t-tops. I also didn't want to spend a lot of money, but I wanted a clean look, as well as little or no hassle getting at the trunk space. The cover I fabbed looks good, too; not like that OEM flapper-thing.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

thanks I guess......I'm well aware of the stealth boxes though...and also the fact that they are almost $100 more than my box and can't house a 12" sub

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by rotwiler View Post
    How is the Bass? I found if my subs are pointed like that, bass sounds like doo. With my flip up box I have to put a board under the side closest to the seat to direct sound back toward the hatch, then it sounds good again.
    really? My old sub box fired at the hatch, and this one sounds much better IMO. I did try this one up above firing at the hatch though and it didn't sound as good... There are probably some angles it sounds good and bad regardless of positioning -- just due to the angles of our hatches. The next one I build will be in the same location -- but will go to the bottom of the well instead....I think that might help with sound, as I've heard boxes entirely in the well sound the best.

Thread Information