98 Formula
    06 duramax

***sponsor recognition for February***

Hey guys, My name is Steve Williams and I post as
    Frost. I was asked to write a little about who I am and what I do, so here goes...

About 3 years ago I first got HPTuners to take care of the turbo f-body that I had underway, and to tune my (then) daily driver 99z. I am in a 4th-gen F-body club in Richmond Va known as RPM who are a great bunch of guys. Before I knew it, I had tuned many of their cars, and others outside of the club began contacting me and were looking for tuning as well. After 8 years of controls engineering (automation, robotics), the sensors and IO used in our cars look awfully simple. This combined with an understanding of the engine and hardware in these cars have made me an efficient tuner. Coming from a background of real calibration has led me to pursue the proper methods of ECM calibration rather than quickly hacking up a file on the dyno.

As of the beginning of August, I was weary of the constant last-minute travel and long hours of work (was a robotics intergrator then) and left work to focus on tuning cars. As the winter came, business slowed just a bit, so I went back to work in another field. Currently I work in semiconductor automation, but this work requires less than half of the days out of a year, so it has been ideal time-wise and allowed me to continue expanding my tuning business. I am an independent tuner, and the dyno I use is owned by a shop that builds Ford roadrace cars in the west side of Richmond, Performance Auto Sport. I am meticulous in my work, and NEVER overbook so that I am able to spend as much time as I see fit working on the drivablility portion of tuning.

My positioning in the fine F-body club RPM allowed me to garner a lot of experience in a short time, as well as "getting my name out". I have worked on a large number of forced induction cars in ranges from MAF tunes to 2 and 3 bar speed density, as well as some big-cammed, max effort NA setups. I have experience with swaps and the all of the wiring and configuration that it entails, including troubleshooting.

I have bench harnesses for mail order tuning, and am on the ragged edge of releasing my first product. This product is a small device that goes inline with the IAT, using genuine metripack connectors, and hooks up to your nitrous solenoid(s). Unlike the old method of "IAT tricking", this device, when used with tuning, will allow you to have two completely separate fuel and spark curves at WOT. For wet nitrous tuning, this eliminates buying and swapping fuel jets to dial in your mixture. For dry nitrous, it eliminates moving the nozzle around in front of the MAF to try and get your fueling straight. Also, it allows you to run full timing when not on the jug. So essentially, you get a normal aggressive NA tune, and a perfectly tailored nitrous tune as well with your stock PCM and no fancy special operating systems are required. It has finished testing, and is past prototyping. Currently there are 4 units on cars and working, and a batch of units nearing completion now. Currently these units are only available for purchase when having your car tuned here in Richmond, but they will be added to mail-order tuning as an option as well in the very near future.

I have enjoyed sponsorship on LS1.com and enjoyed being a part of the community. If there is anything I can do to help any of you out, either shoot me a PM here or use the contact form on my site. Here are few pictures of myself; the blue TA is mine, HKE built bottom end, H/C, meth, and 17psi on pump gas. Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Stop by my website for information on getting your car tuned.http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/

Or PM me (Frost)
    Last edited by 0rion; 12-30-2009 at 10:59 AM.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Thanks for helping out on the site Steve. Its great to see active sponsors on here daily, and I see you on here each and every day. If there is anything any of us can ever do to help you out, just ask
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

wow...that's a dense write up, for sure...might have to read it a few more times.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    wow...that's a dense write up, for sure...might have to read it a few more times.
    +1...

congrats mr steve!!!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Thanks a bunch guys! I get carried away writing every once in a while

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post

...I have bench harnesses for mail order tuning, and am on the ragged edge of releasing my first product. This product is a small device that goes inline with the IAT, using genuine metripack connectors, and hooks up to your nitrous solenoid(s). Unlike the old method of "IAT tricking", this device, when used with tuning, will allow you to have two completely separate fuel and spark curves at WOT. For wet nitrous tuning, this eliminates buying and swapping fuel jets to dial in your mixture. For dry nitrous, it eliminates moving the nozzle around in front of the MAF to try and get your fueling straight. Also, it allows you to run full timing when not on the jug. So essentially, you get a normal aggressive NA tune, and a perfectly tailored nitrous tune as well with your stock PCM and no fancy special operating systems are required. It has finished testing, and is past prototyping. Currently there are 4 units on cars and working, and a batch of units nearing completion now. Currently these units are only available for purchase when having your car tuned here in Richmond, but they will be added to mail-order tuning as an option as well in the very near future. ...

here are some pics:

-EDIT-
    Here are logs of it in operation on my bud's H/C B4C down in Emporia VA this weekend:

The pull is through first and part of second gear. His nitrous is sprayed manually and he basically hit it during the 1-2 shift (or there abouts). Since the fueling was WAY off in Jason's wet kit, we used the module to add fuel for the nitrous when the module was activated as well as pulling timing. Since the module is only active WITH THE NITROUS SOLENOID, you get to keep your PEAK N/A TUNE (spark AND fuel) until the split second the nitrous comes on.

The first pic shows 6K RPMs in first with the timing at 27deg advance and the injector time being 10.8mS. The following spike in injector duty cycle and the tiny spot where the O2s drop low lasts only 0.2 seconds and comes from pulling that healthy shot's worth of fuel from the rail. In the second picture with the NITROUS ACTIVATED, you can see, also at 6K RPMs that the timing is down 3.5deg for the shot and the injector time is up to 12.8mS to help feed it since the fuel jet was not enough. You can see a 30-40mV jump in the NB O2s as well indicating the car is running richer on the spray, as it should.

Last edited by Frost; 02-12-2008 at 05:32 AM.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

http://www.ls1.com/

look for future companies to be recognized on the homepage later! [note; click-throughs on the home page are not reported]

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

very nice; thanks, and the page looks good

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

edited picture post and added log shots

NBM
    98 formula

Ive seen you taking an active role on this site. It has certainly made this site more enjoyable since you have been so active in it offering your opinions and advice. Keep up the good work

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by john5632 View Post
    Ive seen you taking an active role on this site. It has certainly made this site more enjoyable since you have been so active in it offering your opinions and advice. Keep up the good work
    Thanks a lot John!, shoot me a PM if there is anything I can do for ya.

-Steve W

Thread Information