Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

IBM
    04 GTO

went to get the LTs put in

I took the GTO to get my LTs installed and was told it would be $800 plus tax!!! The shop told me it would be around 10+ hours worth of work. What am I missing here? Does it take that long to do the install?

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Not at all. I had a shop quote me $750 + tax, so I did some shopping around. Found a shop that installed them $350 and they did a great job. Just look around and you'll find someone to do it cheaper

Awaiting Activation 5.7literMustangEater's Avatar

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Yea it'll take some time to do the install. It took my brother and I a full day to install the LT's on my '04. $800 sounds a little outrageous if I do say so myself. He's probably just gouging you becuase he thinks you're not mechanically inclined or have never had work done on your car by mechanics. Anyways...I'd do it yourself, the experience and confidence is worth it, but make sure you get someone to help you, it just makes it a little easier when you have a second set of eyes when you run inot a little problem. Just my 2 cents.

IBM
    04 GTO

Thats what Ive been hearing is around $350 to $500 for the install. Thats the frist place I went so far only because they do alot of vette work so Ill be looking around thats for sure.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by derbs View Post
    I took the GTO to get my LTs installed and was told it would be $800 plus tax!!! The shop told me it would be around 10+ hours worth of work. What am I missing here? Does it take that long to do the install?
    I have done several of them in less then 2 hours,normal shop rates $450 to install them,most people have a problem geting the lines back on .those power steering lines are a real pain at times but like most things theres a trick to it all.If you were closer id help you out.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

IBM
    04 GTO

Ive went to acouple more places and gave them the write up that came with the Lts and they all say it would be around 9 hours to get it done so I guess Im going to be paying outta the ass to get this done.

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

do it your self. just do it, like stated already, the experience is worth the time. then if something goes wrong or if you wanna change them, you know how. just dig in one weekend and dont look back. if you went with pacesetter, expect to need another set of hands. they usually have some fitment issues but nothing to terrible. nothing you and another person cant do. its not rocket science. its like 6 bolts per side if im not mistaken. and the power steering shit. piece of cake, do it YOURSELF!

IBM
    04 GTO

I'm still looking into doing that I just need a place to do it and the tools also.

Nothing special
    Nothing special

Do it yourself. It's really not that hard, and there's a ton of room to work with. Just take it slow, don't get in a rush. Have everything you need on hand before you start.

And just for emphasis: Take it slow, don't rush.

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO M6

Me and my friend installed mine in about 3 hrs. It's not really tough. Just follow the istallation instructions and don't rush.
    04 Cosmos Purple M6, SAP Grills & Spoiler, '05 Hood, Procharger, TrickFlow 515 HP H/C Kit, SLP LT Headers/LM II, '05 Big Red Brake upgrade, Drag bags, Holden CV8R wheels, GMM Ripshifter. Tuned by New Era: 515 rwhp/471 ft.lbs. Retuned by J&J Speed: Speed Density tuned 586rwhp/ 492 ft.lbs.

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Mich's04 View Post
    Me and my friend installed mine in about 3 hrs. It's not really tough. Just follow the istallation instructions and don't rush.
    true..and you will be saving alot of money..then you can buy something else for the car...

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

^^^^^^^^^^^^Like a cam and install, i would not recomend doing that yourslelf if your begining into the world of modifing.

White
    09 G8 GT

do longtube headers remove the cats?

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by ls1fan74 View Post
    do longtube headers remove the cats?
    Longtubes do remove the stock cats. you'd need to buy either a catted Y-Pipe, or an Off-Road Y-Pipe to go along with them.

edit: actually, i could be wrong. I was thinking F-Body. I'm not 100% sure on the GTO's, but I'm figuring its somewhat the same setup.

QSM
    04 gto

yea i would shop around.

IBM
    04 GTO

Thats what Im doing now never knew shops here in cedar rapids would freak out on me when I say I want them to put catless midpipes on lol if I cant find anyone in the next week Im doiong it myself.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Thats what Im doing now never knew shops here in cedar rapids would freak out on me when I say I want them to put catless midpipes on lol if I cant find anyone in the next week Im doiong it myself.
    thats the best choice,do it yourself,there plenty of good guys on here that will give you hand if you have any questions,its a simple install.

White
    09 G8 GT

what about shorty headers? they leave the cats on but dont give much power right?

black
    2004 Pontiac GTO

LOL WTF man I wouldn't pay that

but wait... is that for install and a tune?

if it's for install and a tune then it's not "that" bad

Dyno tune will run you anywhere from 350-500 and header install with midpipes run around 400

so 800 for install and tune is not too bad

But $800.00 for just the header install is flat out stupid. Has the shop installed headers for a goat before, i mean it's much easier to work on a goats motor vs working on an fbody. But 800 for just the labor is goofy

IBM
    04 GTO

No its for just the install I was told 10 hours of work at 80 dollars anhour. I have no idea if they have done any gtos before but they had 4 vettes in the shop. Im still looking tho if nothing by next week im doing it myself.

Thread Information