Nothing special
    Nothing special

Ugh. Balls needed.

I'm trying to get up the guts to take a whack at my rear bumper cover to cut out the passenger side exhaust outlet. I personally hate the same side exhaust treatment that it has stock. Anyway, I've got a nice shiny new Borla catback sitting its box. But everytime I put the template for the inserts up to my bumper and start going about making the lines to cut, I chicken out.

I've got no problems tearing a motor down, but wet my pants when it comes to body work. Go figure.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Rip into it. Seriously....rip into it.

Nothing special
    Nothing special

I think my problem is that if I fuck it up, other people will undoubtably see it. And as spotless as I keep my car, I simply cannot have a butchered rear fascia.

I'm tempted to buy the 3 piece rear from the '05 or '06 and have it put on.

QUICKMFNSILVER
    2004 GTO

ive been wanting to do the same thing, i just dont trust anybody to do it. Other than buying a 05 06 rear kit, ive seen a rear that has two cut outs and gto embossed into the center... i know its out there if anybody has seen this let me know

04 GTO QuickSilver
    95 MarkVIII wifey white

Nothing to it but to do it. However, after making your template lines,use a dremal and cut slightly smaller (inside of the line but close) and finess it.

Nothing special
    Nothing special

Quote Originally Posted by GOT1GOAT View Post
    Nothing to it but to do it. However, after making your template lines,use a dremal and cut slightly smaller (inside of the line but close) and finess it.
    That's the plan. Just waiting on a nice sunny day to do it. I won't be using a saws-all or anything to butcher it up. I figure if I fuck it up enough, it will be the perfect excuse to buy the '05-'06 rear fascia. I am, however, seriously thinking about taking it a body shop and having them do it.

Yellow
    2004 Pontiac GTO

if you mess that passanger side up then do the same to the drivers side and no one will notice cause they will match...haha

98 Formula
    06 duramax

If it worries you that much I would at least swing by a few body shops and show them the template and what needs done. You may find someone that'll do it dirt cheap since there's really not a lot of labor involved. Just an in and out type of deal.
    I probably wouldn't cut into mine either. I look at body work as an artform. The guys that do that stuff are like talented artists in my opinion. I was talking to my wife about this very subject yesterday. I can read and learn to do pretty much anything but I don't think you can just "learn" body work. There has to be a certain amount of artistic talent there to begin with.

Junior Member Phantom&RedGoat2004's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Wade M View Post
    ...I am, however, seriously thinking about taking it a body shop and having them do it.

That's what I'd do. I know when I'm in over my head, and this is it. Whatever you decide, good luck with it.

Nothing special
    Nothing special

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    If it worries you that much I would at least swing by a few body shops and show them the template and what needs done. You may find someone that'll do it dirt cheap since there's really not a lot of labor involved. Just an in and out type of deal.
    I probably wouldn't cut into mine either. I look at body work as an artform. The guys that do that stuff are like talented artists in my opinion. I was talking to my wife about this very subject yesterday. I can read and learn to do pretty much anything but I don't think you can just "learn" body work. There has to be a certain amount of artistic talent there to begin with.
    It's not so much that it worries me in as much as I am completely anal about my car's appearance. My wife accuses me of washing and waxing the paint off our cars. To that point, I have absolutely NO problem taking it to a body shop to pay to have it done RIGHT.

But yeah, really good body guys are artists, in my opinion. I believe you either CAN do body work, or you can't.

Thread Information