Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thinking of buying GTO, some questions..

This is a discussion on Thinking of buying GTO, some questions.. within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Hey everyone, This is my first time posting on this board, at least under this username. I lost my old ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Newport, RI
    Posts
    1,550

    Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

    Thinking of buying GTO, some questions..

    Hey everyone,
    This is my first time posting on this board, at least under this username. I lost my old login years ago.

    Anyway, I'm thinking of picking up a GTO, and I have a few questions.

    First, are there any major issues with '04's? I know alot of the times there are a lot of bugs in a car during it's first model year. Any of these that I should be aware of?

    Oh, and I'm looking used, btw. Probably an '04 or '05. I've been looking and I'm seeing quite a few of them with less then 30k miles in the 18-20k range.

    20k is about my max for a car these days, and I know dollar for dollar I won't find a faster car.

    Besides the lack of the LS2, are there any other downfalls to the earlier cars? I'd love the 400hp, but then again, 345 ain't too shabby. My 98Formy had 40 less, and that car was a rocket. So I think I can deal with "only" 345hp.

    How's the reliability? Any major issues?

    This would be a daily driver for me, I drive 60 miles round trip to work. Are these cars good for commuting? With an auto, could I get at least 23 or 24mpg with a light foot, mostly highway? This doesn't seem unreasonable, my M6 Formy got 28 on the highway.

    And lastly, could I get away with using 89 (for commuting), or do they require premium fuel?

    Thanks alot, I really appreciate any input.

    edit: Just did some research. Turns out the '04 is 350hp, not 345, and the LS2 came out in '05. Sweet, maybe I CAN get into a LS2 then.
    Last edited by StuntmanMike; 04-28-2007 at 03:49 PM.

  2. #2
    Member 05gtoautoX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    riverton
    Posts
    556

    Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

    There was some front strut problems, But I'm sure if you buy a used one it'll be already taken care of, go for the LS-2 goat, the goat is about 300 lbs heavier than your formula so with the LS-1 it runs like low 14s, high 13s, but other than that I don't think there were any real reliability issues, also I get 23-25MPG
    on the highway, it's an M-6 though.

  3. #3
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    your formy had the same rating of hp and tq as a ls1 goat..they where under rated. plus i agree with what 05 says..with all the threads i have posted in..i think maybe 3 where about stock problems with a gto...they are solid

  4. #4
    Senior Member snaggeltooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    7,203

    Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

    Yea Shady I knew you would come around .... Get a 05 .. If you dont you will wish you did .....

  5. #5
    Ebaaaaaaaaa Speedy_Gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,019

    Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

    do all the gto's have the bad wheel hop ????

  6. #6
    Senior Member snaggeltooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    7,203

    Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

    they all have IRS ...

  7. #7
    Ebaaaaaaaaa Speedy_Gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,019

    Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

    Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    they all have IRS ...
    i test drove one and it bounced like a basketball when i dumped the clutch...but on take off was frigin wicked out of the hole but for some reason at a 55 mph roll it seemed slugish...could that be due to being brand new ???

  8. #8
    Wahoo jung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra Va.
    Age
    57
    Posts
    34

    Black
    2006 GTO M6

    Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    they all have IRS ...

    +1 Some have bad wheel hop and others don't have it as badly.

  9. #9
    Member 05gtoautoX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    riverton
    Posts
    556

    Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

    Quote Originally Posted by rrgray8 View Post
    i test drove one and it bounced like a basketball when i dumped the clutch...but on take off was frigin wicked out of the hole but for some reason at a 55 mph roll it seemed slugish...could that be due to being brand new ???

    It has the same gears as an F-Bod, so it should be the same if not better from a 55mph. roll, it seems the LS-2s have better mid-high rpm power, and will walk around an f-bod on the highway,The sweet spot for a goat with an M-6 is about 65 in third and then punch it, 55 is a dead spot.I've only raced one f-bod and it was from a dig, I did beat him, but not by much. I could be wrong here but I don't think these engines really have a break in period anymore, and if they do it's very short, so I doubt it was from being new.

  10. #10
    Ebaaaaaaaaa Speedy_Gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,019

    Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

    Quote Originally Posted by 05gtoautoX View Post
    It has the same gears as an F-Bod, so it should be the same if not better from a 55mph. roll, it seems the LS-2s have better mid-high rpm power, and will walk around an f-bod on the highway,The sweet spot for a goat with an M-6 is about 65 in third and then punch it, 55 is a dead spot.I've only raced one f-bod and it was from a dig, I did beat him, but not by much. I could be wrong here but I don't think these engines really have a break in period anymore, and if they do it's very short, so I doubt it was from being new.
    i test drove an 06 that had a m6 and from a 55 roll my 01 ss with a a4 would walk away from the one i drove

  11. #11
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    wheel hop can be over come easily. From what I hear, it is a totally different beast when launching.

  12. #12
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    wheel hop can be over come easily. From what I hear, it is a totally different beast when launching.
    awww hi-po

  13. #13
    Senior Member GOT1GOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Newcastle,De.
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,048

    04 GTO QuickSilver
    95 MarkVIII wifey white

    I really don't know what mpg mine would get because I can't stay off the go pedal long enough to see. The LS1's have 350hp by the way but both are premium recommended and I know that the 1 time I used 87, My mpg went down significantly. Both are capable of mid 20's mpg and an m6 would get you more but in either one, this would require a light right foot.

    If your budget is @ $20k, you will most likely be getting an 04.

  14. #14
    HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    BURBANK
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by rrgray8 View Post
    i test drove an 06 that had a m6 and from a 55 roll my 01 ss with a a4 would walk away from the one i drove
    stock for stock a ls2 goat will eat a ls1 f-bod from a roll
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    rochester,ny
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,667

    pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

    get a 6 speed 05 if your planning on driving a ways for commuting....the A4's have 3.42's ?? or 3.73s in them i belive....and your NOT gonnna get great highway milage out of one.....definitly enough improvements in the 05s vs 04s to pay the extra 1 or 2k there sellin for.........your formula was faster than an 04 goat is....and proly close to as fast as an 05 goat......get a used ss or ws6 instead..save some money

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    rochester,ny
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,667

    pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

    what are the A4 goats rated at guys???? 16 city 20 highway or somthing??? i know its somthing horrible

  17. #17
    Senior Member snaggeltooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    7,203

    Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

    Quote Originally Posted by GOT1GOAT View Post
    I really don't know what mpg mine would get because I can't stay off the go pedal long enough to see. The LS1's have 350hp by the way but both are premium recommended and I know that the 1 time I used 87, My mpg went down significantly. Both are capable of mid 20's mpg and an m6 would get you more but in either one, this would require a light right foot.

    If your budget is @ $20k, you will most likely be getting an 04.
    it depends my GTO , a 05, was 23k OTD and that was almost 6 months ago... If you can buy one from a individual 20k is possible ...

  18. #18
    Ebaaaaaaaaa Speedy_Gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,019

    Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

    Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    stock for stock a ls2 goat will eat a ls1 f-bod from a roll
    the one I drove wouldnt

  19. #19
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    awww hi-po
    Havnt seen you in a long time.

  20. #20
    Resident SRT-4 ambassador
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    121

    Black
    2005 SRT-4

    I reaaaally, really want a Silver goat. I don't know why. I used to have a Silver 68 Goat that I was attempting to restore. Never did finish her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. thinking of buying 02 t/a
    By brendan.9 in forum Mid-West Members
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2010, 03:38 PM
  2. Thinking of buying a Mac...
    By Tonik in forum Computers / Gaming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-20-2010, 05:07 PM
  3. i'm thinking of buying a pre-01'-02' TA
    By kawguy21 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 05-11-2007, 09:10 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-08-2006, 07:09 PM
  5. Thinking of buying a 98 SS
    By Calico in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-09-2006, 10:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •