Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Thinking about buying a 2006 GTO

I am thinking of buying a 2006 GTO how fast are they....1/4 and top end ? Is top speed limited ? How much hp ? How would it compare with my 01 SS ? Whats the going price for a new one ? Lastly what year is the fastest ?

...is orange a rare color ?
    Last edited by Speedy_Gonzales; 02-14-2007 at 04:36 PM.

o6 GTO

HEY man Im almost positive the 06 with the LS2 was the faster of the two meaning earlyer being the LS1, which were aboat320/330hp as compared to the 400 hp LS2 unless you stick my 600 to 700hp package in ha ha HOPED this helped guyGOOD LUCK ED

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by rrgray8 View Post
    I am thinking of buying a 2006 GTO how fast are they....1/4 and top end ? Is top speed limited ? How much hp ? How would it compare with my 01 SS ? Whats the going price for a new one ? Lastly what year is the fastest ?

...is orange a rare color ?
    0-60 high 4's. 1/4 mile low 13's. Top speed i think is pretty high like 170+
    Stock for stock it will be close in the 1/4 mile, but top end like from a highway roll the GTO should take the SS. They go for about 30k new. 05-06 have the LS2 400hp, and the '04 has the LS1 350hp. So the '05-'06 are the fastest.

Black
    06 Chevy Caprice HT (RIP)

Good things come to those who wait

I have seen on my end the new 2007 Lumina SS which is like the four door GTO. Honestly i would wait for it, it is so bad ass...Mind you the trim on the inside is a bit basic, but i would think GM would plush it up for yall a lot more then us over here...

Its lighter the its 2006 counter part, and comes with wide body look...

Just my 2 cents...

Take care

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Low 13's high 12's bone stock on street tires. Variables of course are driver/weather/track.....damn unreal for a 4000lb "sedan"

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Naf....we won't get that car here.

rrgray8....stock for stock, and equal drivers, an 06 GTO should outrun your 01 SS, though it will be closer than some might think. HP ratings are a bit deceiving. As we all know, the LS1 in the F-body was quite underrated (especially 01/02). An M6 SS should put down ~310-320 RWHP stock. An 05/06 GTO M6 will be in the neighborhood of 340-350 RWHP, so there is only about a 30 RWHP difference - mostly made up by the difference in weight.

The GTO is certainly a better overall car.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

thanks for all the input on my way to look

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

I drove the GTO today....here are my opinions

1. GTO was faster 0-60 but didnt smoke the tires any better than my a4 that was a surprise since the GTO is a m6
    2. Top end from a 50 mph roll no way it beats my 01 ss
    3. My SS sounded much better @ full thottle
    4. GTO rode more smoother
    5. SS looks better
    6. SS monsoon system sounded better
    7. GTO interior looked better, much more high tech.

Overall very nice sports car could have got it for 29,000 but since performance is close and the SS has t-tops think I will just stick with the camaro

Impulse Blue Matallic
    2005 GTO

There is a lot more to it I personally believe then just eh acceleration figures. The GTO will out handle the SS in just about every way shape and form. The drive train is also a much newer design that benefits from more R&D and that is always a step in the right direction IMHO. Also I am not sure why you think your SS is as fast or faster from a roll. I think it might be because the GTO is a much better insulated car that is very isolated from road noise so it might not seem like you are accelerating as fast as you really are. As an example, my '05 will pull a C5 on the freeway. The extra weight that my car is hauling around is not really a big factor at freeway speeds. The insurance is also less on the GTO.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by jacobyb View Post
    There is a lot more to it I personally believe then just eh acceleration figures. The GTO will out handle the SS in just about every way shape and form. The drive train is also a much newer design that benefits from more R&D and that is always a step in the right direction IMHO. Also I am not sure why you think your SS is as fast or faster from a roll. I think it might be because the GTO is a much better insulated car that is very isolated from road noise so it might not seem like you are accelerating as fast as you really are. As an example, my '05 will pull a C5 on the freeway. The extra weight that my car is hauling around is not really a big factor at freeway speeds. The insurance is also less on the GTO.
    compared to my ss the gto was sluggish from a 50-60 mph roll .....i had the windows down. from a dig the gto was faster but the gto had bad wheel hop....in my opinion the ss is much better all around and most of all better looking....dont get me wrong the gto is nice

Nothing special
    Nothing special

Quote Originally Posted by rrgray8 View Post
    I drove the GTO today....here are my opinions

1. GTO was faster 0-60 but didnt smoke the tires any better than my a4 that was a surprise since the GTO is a m6
    Tire smoke is wasted forward momentum.

2. Top end from a 50 mph roll no way it beats my 01 ss
    How often do you run flat out?

3. My SS sounded much better @ full thottle
    But how does it compare at every other throttle position.

4. GTO rode more smoother
    Without a doubt.

5. SS looks better
    Looks are subjective. SS looks dated to me.

6. SS monsoon system sounded better
    Subjective, but I'll probably agree with you since the Blaustink in the GTO does stink.

7. GTO interior looked better, much more high tech.
    Subjective, but I'll definately agree. The GTO has the interior fit and finish of a BMW.

Overall very nice sports car could have got it for 29,000 but since performance is close and the SS has t-tops think I will just stick with the camaro
    They're two totally different cars, IMHO, despite Pontiac trying to sell and market it as a muscle car. The GTO is, in my mind, a two door Mercedes with a good old fashioned American V8 pushing it around.

Junior Member 2001SSCamaro#2516's Avatar

Black
    2001 SS Camaro

SS vs GTO ?

If the GTO didn't look so much like a Grand Am, I might like it better.
    I actually was thinking about importing a Holden but then the GTO came out.
    I am glad they made it and I think it help push every other mfg into the HP race. I will wait and see how the new Camaro and the new Challenger compare....

Black
    2002 Z28 M6

same problem: keep Z28 vs. new GTO

Local dealer is advertising 06 GTO M6 around 28,800...I'm thinking my kids would have more room in the GTO backseat than the Camaro, but I'd miss the t-tops, and of course, it's paid for.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    i dunno i have a 04 gto...and the ride quality, and overall smoothness of the car cannot be matched by any f-bod....however the sportiness of my z def takes the cake from the gto

Black
    2002 Z28 M6

"however the sportiness of my z def takes the cake from the gto"...

sounds like I'll do well to stick with the z, thanks for your info.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kkollwitz View Post
    "however the sportiness of my z def takes the cake from the gto"...

sounds like I'll do well to stick with the z, thanks for your info.
    yeah but u will get an all around luxury with the goat that the z cannot compare??...thats why i have both of best worlds,lol

Iraq money well spent. TRY ME GT's Avatar

Black on Black
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I was gonna buy a goat as a daily driver and use my SS as a weekend car. I really like the GTOs interior, and it rides really smooth. If you just want performance i think youd be much better off working on the SS. I had the same basic impressions as you about the GTO. it def wouldnt turn heads like a SS though unless the person knows cars well. Very cool car and I would still consider one as a daily driver if i didnt just get a free car last year

There still going for too much money...

Red
    66 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by TRY ME GT View Post
    I was gonna buy a goat as a daily driver and use my SS as a weekend car. I really like the GTOs interior, and it rides really smooth. If you just want performance i think youd be much better off working on the SS. I had the same basic impressions as you about the GTO. it def wouldnt turn heads like a SS though unless the person knows cars well. Very cool car and I would still consider one as a daily driver if i didnt just get a free car last year
    yea personally thats my reason for liking the GTO's so much, they look like sleepers unless the people looking know what it is. and if there not lookin they will once you roll by haha

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

whatever you do if youre going to jump from an f-body do not get an 04 goat. this is of course if youre motivation is speed and performance for your money. they are chubby. but the ls2 is a different story. i test drove one, thought about it but ultimately had to think about my financial situaition in college. the goat isnt too plainly styled, we are all just so used to the aggressive styling of the camaros and the t/a. the goat is way more subtle but still packs the nasty. plus you cant really compare a modded f body to a stock gto. it isnt even because the f body is going to have suspension mods that tone down wheel hop, maybe different gears and tires. its all subjective. 05 06 goats are nothing to fuck with, nothing with an lsx is. now if we could just get gt owners to understand this.......

Thread Information