Thread: Thermo_160

Black
    2004 GTO

Thermo_160

The thermostat 160 claims 5-10 hp...Is this really true..Anyone have this mod in there car???

This is a brand new 160 degree thermostat made by Mr. Gasket This new thermostat is made of copper and brass for trouble free and high flow coolant applications. Replaces the 195 degree stock thermostat for greater performance and horsepower. Gain 5 to 10 horse power with this thermostat.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I hate "claims" so lets stick with a sealed/pressurized cooling environment in an internal combustion engine.
    The coolant cools about 60% of the motor heat generated....Oil cools about 25%...and the rest is blown out the exhaust or radiated through the engine bay and out....
    Op temp for most motors is 212f or 100c. Closed loop expires at around 90-100f.
    So what do we do when we lower a t-stats opening temp? Simply put it opens earlier. Your engine still reaches op temp. But it does not have to tax the coolant system so hard as it got a head start on the cooling process and just cruising around when your t-stat opens earlier it can probably maintain the opening temp without much effort. This will give you cooler engine temps/less chance of "knock" or detonation if your tuned for it. Mine runs around 180-190 just cruising...but much of that is attributed not to a 160f t-stat but I run a big ass oil cooler and my oil temps stay cooler than a stock motor....I rambled....but the bottom answer is I wouldn't make any claims of horsepower.....by installing a lower t-stat...but it will "help" in maintaining a slightly lower temp when just cruising around.....get on it...and your motor is going to 212 or better regardless of what temp the t-stat opened at. Did I make sense?

Black
    2004 GTO

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I hate "claims" so lets stick with a sealed/pressurized cooling environment in an internal combustion engine.
    The coolant cools about 60% of the motor heat generated....Oil cools about 25%...and the rest is blown out the exhaust or radiated through the engine bay and out....
    Op temp for most motors is 212f or 100c. Closed loop expires at around 90-100f.
    So what do we do when we lower a t-stats opening temp? Simply put it opens earlier. Your engine still reaches op temp. But it does not have to tax the coolant system so hard as it got a head start on the cooling process and just cruising around when your t-stat opens earlier it can probably maintain the opening temp without much effort. This will give you cooler engine temps/less chance of "knock" or detonation if your tuned for it. Mine runs around 180-190 just cruising...but much of that is attributed not to a 160f t-stat but I run a big ass oil cooler and my oil temps stay cooler than a stock motor....I rambled....but the bottom answer is I wouldn't make any claims of horsepower.....by installing a lower t-stat...but it will "help" in maintaining a slightly lower temp when just cruising around.....get on it...and your motor is going to 212 or better regardless of what temp the t-stat opened at. Did I make sense?
    yea thats what i actually thought.. yea thanks makes perfect sense..great info

Thread Information