Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temp OVERHEAT!!

Black
    2004 GTO

Temp OVERHEAT!!

Damn today as i will getting home from work...the damn Temp in my car went so high..I got the alert on the dash that the engine was hot..I pulled over and just turned off my car, then turned it right back on and the temp was normal..I was scared it was over heating, but it wasnt...that was strange, any idea what could have cause the sensor to go off!!

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by pmolina0436 View Post
    Damn today as i will getting home from work...the damn Temp in my car went so high..I got the alert on the dash that the engine was hot..I pulled over and just turned off my car, then turned it right back on and the temp was normal..I was scared it was over heating, but it wasnt...that was strange, any idea what could have cause the sensor to go off!!
    It's NOT the sensor. It is a small problem with the gauge cluster. There is a sticky here on that subject. My car does that too sometimes, then when the car gets moving the temp goes down. Same thing with the fuel gauge not going all the way to full on a fill up. Small shit. Right now I have a black spot on the odometer. Kinda like when a watch cracks and the liquid leaks out. Debating on taking the car in for warranty service or buying a new cluster and installing it myself.

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    It's NOT the sensor. It is a small problem with the gauge cluster. There is a sticky here on that subject. My car does that too sometimes, then when the car gets moving the temp goes down. Same thing with the fuel gauge not going all the way to full on a fill up. Small shit. Right now I have a black spot on the odometer. Kinda like when a watch cracks and the liquid leaks out. Debating on taking the car in for warranty service or buying a new cluster and installing it myself.
    cool..cool..wwell i guess nothing to worry about at this time..

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

this has happened to many people if you have access to a programmer just delete it ,if not try the battery cable,mine used to do that all the time after first tune(mail order) then i got my own HP tuners turned it off.the neg battery terminal and a 10mm wrench is your freind,the computer will relearn how you drive and with luck all will be fine.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

for this reason [I] have two extra dashes..

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    this has happened to many people if you have access to a programmer just delete it ,if not try the battery cable,mine used to do that all the time after first tune(mail order) then i got my own HP tuners turned it off.the neg battery terminal and a 10mm wrench is your freind,the computer will relearn how you drive and with luck all will be fine.
    on the programmer what should i look for to delete?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

for this reason [I] have two extra dashes..
    I have thought about doing the same thing. Maybe a red or gray 05-06(slanted font) cluster swap?

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

I have three red ones,they dont make em anymore,so i gotz me some extras..

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

on the programmer what should i look for to delete?
    I would start by just clearing the codes.

Black
    2004 GTO

I would start by just clearing the codes.
    what codes..are you talking about setting it back to stock>???

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I have three red ones,they dont make em anymore,so i gotz me some extras..
    FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU....well, I will either call the dealer OR hit up EBay.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Look up in the stickies...there is a TSB....print it off and take it to the dealer...

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Here ya go buddy......save you a step or two
    Speedometer Erratic Movement, Fuel Gauge Does Not Go to Full After Filling, Engine Coolant Temperature Gauge Reads Hot and Coolant Temperature Light Illuminates (Reprogram IPC) #05-08-49-003 - (Jan 20, 2005)

2004 Pontiac GTO

Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint 4L296011

Condition
    Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions:

• Speedometer jumps erratically. Gauge may go up to 200 MPH or not return to zero.

• Fuel gauge does not move off empty when tank is full.

• Engine coolant temperature gauge reads hot and coolant temperature light illuminates.

These conditions may be intermittent.

Correction
    Technicians are to reprogram the IPC with an updated software calibration. This new service calibration was released with TIS satellite data update version 1.0 available January 10, 2005. As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version.

Important: Vehicles built after the VIN breakpoint must have the IPC replaced to correct these conditions

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Here ya go buddy......save you a step or two
    Speedometer Erratic Movement, Fuel Gauge Does Not Go to Full After Filling, Engine Coolant Temperature Gauge Reads Hot and Coolant Temperature Light Illuminates (Reprogram IPC) #05-08-49-003 - (Jan 20, 2005)

2004 Pontiac GTO

Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint 4L296011

Condition
    Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions:

• Speedometer jumps erratically. Gauge may go up to 200 MPH or not return to zero.

• Fuel gauge does not move off empty when tank is full.

• Engine coolant temperature gauge reads hot and coolant temperature light illuminates.

These conditions may be intermittent.

Correction
    Technicians are to reprogram the IPC with an updated software calibration. This new service calibration was released with TIS satellite data update version 1.0 available January 10, 2005. As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version.

Important: Vehicles built after the VIN breakpoint must have the IPC replaced to correct these conditions
    NICE!! ill check on this during the weekend...thnaks!!

Nero
    2006 gto

Well just a thought, but I had a problem like this. My temp gauge was going crazy, so I brought it to the dealer. Turns out my water pump had a crack in it. Might not be the same as your problem, but I felt it would be good to mention just in case. After they replaced the water pump, its been fine.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU....well, I will either call the dealer OR hit up EBay.
    theres no need to buy a new one it can be updated...opps should have said that,what I meant by clearing code..lol

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

theres no need to buy a new one it can be updated...opps should have said that,what I meant by clearing code..lol
    LOL. I don't know what caused the LCD to leak though.

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    Well just a thought, but I had a problem like this. My temp gauge was going crazy, so I brought it to the dealer. Turns out my water pump had a crack in it. Might not be the same as your problem, but I felt it would be good to mention just in case. After they replaced the water pump, its been fine.
    thats what i had thought at first...but then when it said it was overheating, i turned the car off then on right away and then it was back to normal...so yea i dont think it would have cooled down that fast if there iwas a leak or something..but yea good thing it wasnt anything big..WARRANTY EXPIRED!! and out of cash for anything right now..

Nero
    2006 gto

Gonna bring this back up, since Im having another issue and cant seem to find an answer through the Search. Was sitting in the drive thru line at Taco Bell last night, and I noticed my temp gauge started to climb. Usually its a notch below halfway, but I watched it climb up to halfway. At this point, I turned on my heater to full blast, and heard the radiator fan come on. (Not sure which happened first, I think the fan came on THEN I put the heater on) The temp stayed at halfway up until I got back on the road, then went down to its normal position. Outside temps were low to mid 40's, about 98% humidity ('twas foggy) This same situation happened almost a month ago while sitting in my car waiting for it to warm up, but it went to the warning zone before I noticed and shut the car down.

My question is this.... How do I bleed air out of the system on an 06? Do I just use one of those Lisle funnels and do it normally, or is there some special procedure required for these? I've read that doing it the traditional way can cause huge air pockets to enter the system, which I dont want.

I trust you guys on LS1.com more than the dealers and mechanics around here by leaps and bounds. Thanks for reading.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Let the car cool and then let it run with the radiator cap off for a few mins to let any air bubbles escape. Let the car run til the needle climbs to normal operating temp and put the cap back on and drive it around for, I would say, 10-20 mins to see if the issues return.

Thread Information