Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

Suspension upgrades

I just installed a Harrop differential mount and a full Pedders bushing kit. I was going to get the Lovells bushing kit but PayPutz had an issue.
    Its feels like a different car. Flat through turns with very minimal body roll. That F'n knock in the rear under a hard launch is GONE! The rear end used to feel shifty in turns . . . no more. There is a lot less rearend squat under takeoff also.
    I put the kit and mount in myself in the driveway in 90* heat, it wasn't fun. Took me 5 days to do the job but pussies pay a real man to do the work for them. The reward is sweeter when you do it yourself IMO plus I learned more about the car. I am all around very pleased with the results.
    Taking the front radius rod bolts off is a real MFer. The strut bearings were toast. The front sway bar bushings were a joke material wise and the rears were an SOB to put on. I could not for the life of me get the old speed sensors out of the stock differential cover so I had to buy new ones for $410 from AutoZone.

IBM
    04 GTO

I'm getting a Harrop this winter, as for the bushings the only thing I noticed with my car is the braking and feeling every damn dump in the road lol but the the funny thing my stock rr bushings looked brand new when I took em out. Doing it yourself you really get to see how messed up the design is on our cars.

Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by derbs View Post
    I'm getting a Harrop this winter, as for the bushings the only thing I noticed with my car is the braking and feeling every damn dump in the road lol but the the funny thing my stock rr bushings looked brand new when I took em out. Doing it yourself you really get to see how messed up the design is on our cars.
    Oh yeah, but once you do the upgrade it's like a whole other car. I posted this before I went to the alignment shop. My rear cradle is . . . DEAD ON! (how you like me now Sarge?!) I marked everything with a silver sharpie and installed the Harrop first so as to keep everything in line. The owner of the shop told me I am the MAN and said he's never seen anything like it. (They've worked on several modded GTOs) FYI if you replace the Radius Rod bushings use the stock spacer on the drivers side along with the Pedders suggested shimming and then move the 4mm shim to the back on the passenger side and put a thin washer in front of the passenger side front bushing collar.
    Last edited by Goat-E; 11-06-2009 at 06:28 PM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yup...suspension upgrades add so much to these cars...an often overlooked enhancement opportunity for sure.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Goat-E View Post
    Oh yeah, but once you do the upgrade it's like a whole other car. I posted this before I went to the alignment shop. My rear cradle is . . . DEAD ON! (how you like me now Sarge?!) I marked everything with a silver sharpie and installed the Harrop first so as to keep everything in line. The owner of the shop told me I am the MAN and said he's never seen anything like it. (They've worked on several modded GTOs) FYI if you replace the Radius Rod bushings use the stock spacer on the drivers side along with the Pedders suggested shimming and then move the 4mm shim to the back on the passenger side and put a thin washer in front of the passenger side front bushing collar.
    Great Job! Glad you like the results.

Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by PartsGedder View Post
    Great Job! Glad you like the results.
    The difference is quite dramatic. I used a straight edge and a silver sharpie and made some marks between the cradle and the body so that when I reinstalled the cradle it went back into it's original position. I ordered clevis bolts but since I was doing the full boat kit I dropped the struts off at the control arms and never used them. I also disassembled those crappy strut bearings and packed them with some HP graphite grease. It's pretty lame that those are the only bearings that are available. I dare to wager that they are shot after 30k miles. Plus if you take out the strut bushing they fall apart, hence my motivation to pack them with more grease.
    Other than that I'd say great product and customer support.
    PS My buddy told me I should have done the springs while I was at it and I promptly stuck my hand out and nothing appeared in my palm. I really should have gotten replacement lower spring pads though. I rotated them so they would rest on the uncompressed parts.

Thread Information