Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

To supercharge or turbocharge ls2 goat?

everyone is telling me to turbo it, but i always thought a supercharger was better cause you dont have to wait for the lag ad the power is right there.. im not talking about getting like 1000rwhp fro the car just like 500-600 rwhp. what would you guys suggest and why? thanks

I went to Playboy Mansion FantaZGuy28's Avatar

YJ
    04 GTO M6

Get a Maggie and call it a day.

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

Research it, I went with a maggie for a few reasons. The Turbo setups now don't have the "lag" of Old, however they do have some. I went with a s/c because of the low-end torque, and No tapping the oil pan, and several reasons. You can make "more" power from a turbo, but I don't want a Dyno queen and I want reliability, and drive-ability. However look @ my mod list anytime you start modding you need the supporting mods as well. You can just "slap" a power adder on and make it work however you will start finding "weak" links in your drivetrain ect. If you have any ? I'll be happy to help.
    Brad
    '04 gto M6 slp ceramic coated headers,B&m sport shifter,harrop cover,3.5"aluminum BMR driveshaft, BMR axle stubs, BMR Half shafts, BMR SFC's, loudmouth2 exaust,90mm FAST T/B,Magancharger(high helix upgrade)......other misc. suspension,Cross drilled, slotted rotors. Meth Kit, spraying @ 3psi and up

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I prefer a roots blower versus a turbo. Torque wins races not horsepower.

Impulse Blue
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I prefer a roots blower versus a turbo. Torque wins races not horsepower.
    Very true about torque but I think you'll find that a turbo will produce more

I'm a turbo guy. Even if you did have lag, who cares? Makes it that much easier coming out of the hole. From a roll, no lag at all.

My TTA didn't have any lag when rolling. At the track, you just build boost while staging and no lag there either

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I agree...both deliver more torque than a NA car is what I meant to say....I prefer the torque curve of a roots blower versus a turbo.....lower in the RPM band....but folks can argue a roots blower is parasitic...and it goes on and on....but I like the torque produced at lower rpm's from a roots blower myself....
    Last edited by Sarge; 11-29-2007 at 08:19 AM.

Impulse Blue
    2004 GTO

Yes, they do come on early. I like the table top torque of a turbo. Once it hits, its all there and stays there.

Both definitely get the job done

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I also believe a turbo can boost your MPG if you keep your foot out of it...

white

turbo charger all the way

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

There really isnt a better way to go, if you want to make 500rwhp, its just where do you want the power, as for low end torque there are alot of quick spoiling turbos to help you with that. But turbos are always more work. For a 500rwhp v8 i would go supercharger, less headache and that kinda of power is easy to reach. Now a 1200rwhp track car, turbo all the way.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Allen Nelson and I are putting a turbo on my 07 Solverado....does that count.....he is getting retarded RWHP and RWTQ numbers out of stock 5.3's.....running 6lbs of boost.....

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Such as what 450-500rwhp?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Shit no....All stock except the turbo is something like...
    Stock 228 RWHP and 240ish RWTQ.....
    With the turbo and a tune....he got like
    360RWHP and 390ish RWTQ.....now that aint half bad

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Oh i thought we were talking about the ls2 for some reason, instead of 5.3liter i read 6.0 cause im crazy

Impulse Blue
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I also believe a turbo can boost your MPG if you keep your foot out of it...
    This is true but it also needs a good tune. My TTA would run low 11's and still knock down 29-30mpg on the highway. With 50# injectors no less

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Thats a lie right there, there is no way you are getting that kind of gas mileage with 50lbs injectors. Ill say a turbo running small psi with a stock injectors and a good tune will get better, but once you start upgraded injectors you wont and if you want to argue with me go ahead i have ugraded injectors 3 times now in my supra and each time i lost gas mileage.

Impulse Blue
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    Thats a lie right there, there is no way you are getting that kind of gas mileage with 50lbs injectors. Ill say a turbo running small psi with a stock injectors and a good tune will get better, but once you start upgraded injectors you wont and if you want to argue with me go ahead i have ugraded injectors 3 times now in my supra and each time i lost gas mileage.
    Why would I lie? Let's see, a V6 that is tuned, not getting good gas mileage? Mine was tuned great and running lean cruise definitely helped. 3.27 gears also helped. Size of turbo has nothing to do with it either.

Also, after doing all the mods to that car, it ran cleaner than when it was completely stock. IM240 test proved that.

I did this coming back from the 35th F-Body show in Bowling Green where my car was displayed inside the museum. Just normal highway cruising. Nothing special.

Maybe you should get a better tune. Changing the injectors shouldn't affect the mpg if they are properly programmed for. IE; flow rate, offset, pulse width, etc.

Qucik Silver Metalic
    2004 GTO - M6

super charger - long tube header (1 7/8) - an extra fuel pump along the line - increase the size of injectors...get the right guy to tune it.

you won't starve the motor of fuel or oil on the high end with a super charger if done right.

I've seen a lot of these young guys with 4 bangers on woodard ave. waste their motors with turbo's...oil starved on the top end.

my neighbors got a 95 cobra making 450 rwhp and 430 rwt with combination above - thing screams

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

turbo will make more peak power
    M6, Lid, Ported and Polished Throttle Body (By Me!), LT, Custom Catted Y, Electric Cutout, PHB, LCA13.21@108 with a 2.3 60'

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

I wouldn't see where injector change would alter gas mileage when properly tuned. If the pulse with etc are changed correctly they shouldn't be squirting more than the stockers under normal conditions. Just WOT would be the biggest difference. Sure if you changed the injectors and didn't tune accordingly the computer thinks their stock and gives the same pulse to a much bigger injector. Tuned though I can believe it.

Thread Information