Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

black

sts turbo vs pro charger....any takers

Just want to get peoples thought on the forced induction, what is the best. Feel like the most expensive, but best quality is the procharger. After said and done you have about 8000 invested. StS you have about 5000 invested and about the same results, but maybe not as consistint.

Nero
    2006 gto

IMO the ProCharger would be the way to go. I did a lot of research on the D1SC and P1SC for my GTO, and really liked the info I found. I have nothing against turbos whatsoever, but if I remember correctly, the STS is a rear mount that goes underneath the car, whereas the ProChargers are in the engine bay. You'll get a little bit of heat soak with the SC, which will undoubtedly hurt performance, even if its barely noticeable. On the roads around here, potholes are so bad I wouldnt even think of having anything expensive mounted underneath the car.

Either way you go, you'll be pleased. My personal preference would be the SC, though.

Or you could just spend around $1000 and get the spray....
    Anyone without a gun and a knife and a handkerchief and a chapstick get the F%$# out of here!

black

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    IMO the ProCharger would be the way to go. I did a lot of research on the D1SC and P1SC for my GTO, and really liked the info I found. I have nothing against turbos whatsoever, but if I remember correctly, the STS is a rear mount that goes underneath the car, whereas the ProChargers are in the engine bay. You'll get a little bit of heat soak with the SC, which will undoubtedly hurt performance, even if its barely noticeable. On the roads around here, potholes are so bad I wouldnt even think of having anything expensive mounted underneath the car.

Either way you go, you'll be pleased. My personal preference would be the SC, though.

That was a thought to cause my understanding the ls1's love the spray.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post

Heat soak is very noticable when its bad and you know what your car should feel like. But you wont get heat soak unless your in rush hour traffic, as logn as your moving it wont effect your power.

Turbos are a better more efficient way to make power. Its the perfect FI, using wasted gases to make power. Turbos have almost no limits as where superchargers do but that wont really play a factor since your limit on those stock size head units is 8psi eitherway.

Now that I am done praising turbos I just have to say I would never buy a STS kit. Too much piping and the fact that the turbo is under the car in a very vunerable spot scares the living crap out of me. It could get damaged and beat up. Your turbo is in direct link with your engine, you get anything in that piping and there is a chance its gonna go in your engine. On stock cars even if a cat in the up pipe falls apart that has been known to get in engines and kill them on stock cars that come with turbos. I like to keep my FI units under my hood where they are safe.

IBM
    04 GTO

Put a maggie on it, the fit on them are real nice lol

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Heat soak is very noticable when its bad and you know what your car should feel like. But you wont get heat soak unless your in rush hour traffic, as logn as your moving it wont effect your power.

Turbos are a better more efficient way to make power. Its the perfect FI, using wasted gases to make power. Turbos have almost no limits as where superchargers do but that wont really play a factor since your limit on those stock size head units is 8psi eitherway.

Now that I am done praising turbos I just have to say I would never buy a STS kit. Too much piping and the fact that the turbo is under the car in a very vunerable spot scares the living crap out of me. It could get damaged and beat up. Your turbo is in direct link with your engine, you get anything in that piping and there is a chance its gonna go in your engine. On stock cars even if a cat in the up pipe falls apart that has been known to get in engines and kill them on stock cars that come with turbos. I like to keep my FI units under my hood where they are safe.
    If a cat were to break up it would fall into the turbine side of the turbo not the compressor side. The only link between the turbine and comp. side is the shaft tying the turbine to the impeller. The only way a cat would spit anything into the engine would be if it shelled the turbine and broke the shaft and caused the impeller to fail. I doubt on an sts any pieces would make it all the way to the engine due to the distance between them and the fact that with no impeller there would be no air to push the pieces to the engine. I would go turbo all the way if they werent mounted under the car. I agree that one pot hole or speed bump and bye bye turbo. Not trying to step on anyones toes, just trying to share info.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

magnacharger! +1!

sounds awesome.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*shift*WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEE*shift*WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*ZINGGGG(thats me misshifting-.-)*

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO M6

I went with the Procharger unit vs. a turbo. I like the fact that the PC has a self contained lubrication system and it doesn't have 9 miles of duct work like the STS setup.
    I had to add 60lbs. injectors and have New Era tune it due the H/C kit. He managed 547 rwhp, but there was some detonation. So Mike turned things down a bit (515 rwhp). I think if I added a meth injection kit we could wind it back up but I think the stock bottom end won't handle much more than it has now.
    All in all I'm very happy with the PC.
    04 Cosmos Purple M6, SAP Grills & Spoiler, '05 Hood, Procharger, TrickFlow 515 HP H/C Kit, SLP LT Headers/LM II, '05 Big Red Brake upgrade, Drag bags, Holden CV8R wheels, GMM Ripshifter. Tuned by New Era: 515 rwhp/471 ft.lbs. Retuned by J&J Speed: Speed Density tuned 586rwhp/ 492 ft.lbs.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by TmaxicanA View Post
    magnacharger! +1!

sounds awesome.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*shift*WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEE*shift*WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*ZINGGGG(thats me misshifting-.-)*

But I agree on the Maggie. I love that sound.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

i like too watch those videos of gtos on youube with the magnacharger...i wish my dad could afford one so i...mean he could have a cool sounding and roided out GTO too drive.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Procharger > STS

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

This is what I like about a Maggie:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TPHXVtblWw[/ame]

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

wwish we could have had that for our last year of production....

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Imagine having a blower that sounded like THIS:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z91Inqh1Pp4[/ame]

blue
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Imagine having a blower that sounded like THIS:

can i make my trans am sound like that just with out the blower noise?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Longtube headers and most likely a Spintech or Flowmaster catback would work IMO.

blue
    1999 trans am

yeah thats just the exact sound i want my car to have....loud and still had depth

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I have heard the Spintech and IMO that is the closest you will get to sounding like that Monaro.

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

That was one bad to the bone ride and a hell of a show!!!!

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    This is what I like about a Maggie:

If GM brought that over here I would buy one brand new. Every time I watch top gear it makes me want to move to australia.

Thread Information