Thread: Stroker GTO

04 pontiac GTO GONE

Stroker GTO

I was thinking of maybe stroking my GTO, but Im not real good with all this comp. stuff in the new cars. So what would it take to stroke my 04 GTO? Do I need to send my comp out to get it tuned or is my diablo tuner enough? what else would I need to look into? And also Im only wanting to do a 383 but these are good up to 427 right?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

If your planning on stroking your motor the Diablo Predator will not handle the amount of changes required for your ECU to run properly.

Since you stated your pretty much a newb to ECU's and fuel injection (carb guy eh?) then it would be best to take your ride to be dyno tuned.

Call up some local performance shops and find one that has a dyno and uses HPTuners or efilive as their tuning software.

04 pontiac GTO GONE

Not much here in oklahoma for dynos. But Is it worth stroking it or would it be better to just bolt on some heads and cam or procharger?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_J View Post
    Not much here in oklahoma for dynos. But Is it worth stroking it or would it be better to just bolt on some heads and cam or procharger?
    Well what are you aiming at?

Heads and a cam can put down some power but mostly only at the high end. Not going to be a killer at the track but still faster than stock. A Diablo can handle this.

I would prefer going with the Magnacharger Supercharger kit if your looking for bolt on power. Comes with everything you need and will lay down good power throughout the entire curve. This needs to be professionally tuned too but may come with a base map but still is prefered to get it tuned since every vehicle is different.

Stroking is the best route for NA. You just gain gobs of power all around.

So street use go with #1 but for track rep you got the other two which involve tuning professionally in your case. Unless you want to pick up a book on tuning, read up, buy HPtuners, and tune yourself on the streets?

04 pontiac GTO GONE

on summit the supercharger comes with the tuner for it so it says. So are you still needing to put it on a dyno?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_J View Post
    on summit the supercharger comes with the tuner for it so it says. So are you still needing to put it on a dyno?
    Yes. You are given what is called a "base map". This reflashes the ECU so you can run the supercharger BUT it is always recommended you have it tuned SPECIFICALLY for your car.

We know that every vehicle is different. You can't build cars identical due to all the manufacturing tolerances and so forth.

You can drive with the base map but I would not run it hard/abuse it cause that could lead to a problem with the reliability.

White
    09 G8 GT

What if any transmission upgrades need to be done for mods like this? In other words, how tough is the stock T56 and 4L60/80E?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

The 4L60 is going to fall on it's face at some point ... mine did and I went with a Rossler rebuild.

Thread Information