Thread: Stock Stereo!

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Stock Stereo!

Yo!

Not too pleased with the stock stereo. I like things loud when I'm rollin....yes I'm that obnoxious guy with the music too loud at lights haha!

Well I don't want to hinder the stock interior and dig the 6 CD changer and head unit.

So my question is how is the stock stereo set-up?

Does the headunit power any of the speakers or is solely off the amp in the trunk?

If the headunit just controls everything than I'm good to go! Just upgrade the speakers/edead everything and bust a bigger amp to power the speakers!

If not though then I have to cut into to produce RCA outputs for an additional amp .

04 GTO QuickSilver
    95 MarkVIII wifey white

I'm not so much in tune with super loud music anymore but I did turn the boost knob up on the amp and it did make it louder. Are you aware of this knob?

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

heard about it wheres it at again?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by GOT1GOAT View Post
    I'm not so much in tune with super loud music anymore but I did turn the boost knob up on the amp and it did make it louder. Are you aware of this knob?
    Yea I know about the gain knob for the amp in the rear. It's all the way up but gets loud but there is alot of distortion also. Replacing the speakers with ones with built-in crossovers will fix the distortion but aftermarket speakers need more power than what a headunit can give, thus the reason for determing what powers what (amp) in our car.

Don't be a dumb ass Damage Inc.'s Avatar

Brazen Orange Metalic
    '06 GTO

The amp is for the Subs only. All the others are powered through the head unit. Check Crutchfield they sell an interface that should work to help you hook up an amp/speakers.

You mght be interested in this:http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...=182271&page=9
    Page nine post #254. DON"T use 2.2uf use 4.7uf polorized.
    '06 M6 BOM: Pred, Kooks sig LT's, Magnaflow, Volant, Comp Cam 1.85, March UD. PB 12.92 @110.71 w/ 2.07 60' on street tires.
    '02 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 mods-yes
    '78 Cutlass 383sbc w/spray t56-under constuction
    '66 Baja Bug 1835cc-under constuction

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Damage Inc. View Post
    The amp is for the Subs only. All the others are powered through the head unit. Check Crutchfield they sell an interface that should work to help you hook up an amp/speakers.

You mght be interested in this:http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...=182271&page=9
    Page nine post #254. DON"T use 2.2uf use 4.7uf polorized.
    Thanks for the information.

Bummer though the amp only powers the sub. Ah I hate routing wires to an amp!!! Hoping it could be so clean and simple haha!

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 6.0LiterImportEater View Post
    Thanks for the information.

Bummer though the amp only powers the sub. Ah I hate routing wires to an amp!!! Hoping it could be so clean and simple haha!
    I'm right above Hagerstown MD, we will have to hookup some time.
    I replaced all the speakers, and when I had the factory head unit in I ran a line converter off the rear speakers to the amp.
    plus if you put subs in the trunk you can jump off the rear highs speaks and replace the factory 6,5" subs withs highs to keepup with the base

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    I'm right above Hagerstown MD, we will have to hookup some time.
    I replaced all the speakers, and when I had the factory head unit in I ran a line converter off the rear speakers to the amp.
    plus if you put subs in the trunk you can jump off the rear highs speaks and replace the factory 6,5" subs withs highs to keepup with the base
    Word! That is a sick looking beast you got!

Well I do have two 12" MTX Thunder 6000 subs sitting in storage but don't think I will hook them up in the GOAT. Prefer to have some trunk space haha!

I was more just thinking of doing a complete speaker swap and replacing the stock sub with a better shallow depth one, run two amps and use the stock headunit. Just want something to crank louder and be more crisp.

Need to find out where to route all the wires for the speakers though. Not looking forward to tearing the whole interior out just to do it. Thats a weekend gone haha!

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 6.0LiterImportEater View Post
    Word! That is a sick looking beast you got!

Well I do have two 12" MTX Thunder 6000 subs sitting in storage but don't think I will hook them up in the GOAT. Prefer to have some trunk space haha!

I was more just thinking of doing a complete speaker swap and replacing the stock sub with a better shallow depth one, run two amps and use the stock headunit. Just want something to crank louder and be more crisp.

Need to find out where to route all the wires for the speakers though. Not looking forward to tearing the whole interior out just to do it. Thats a weekend gone haha!
    you would be amazed at how quick and easy it is to get the interior panels out, wires run and put back together.....they really did a good job building these cars and the way they put them together makes sense

Thread Information