Mr.GTO

black
    2004 pontiac GTO

Stock driveshafts are they all the same?

Are the 04, 05 and 06 stock driveshafts all the same automatic or stick? I have a 04 6 speed and i just bought a spare driveshaft and i didnt even ask if it was from a 04 6 speed. I just assumed they would all be the same but the more i thought about it and thought it would probally be a good idea to know before i try and put it in.

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

Did you buy a stock one? I believe they are all the same, however they are a 2 piece, pieace of junk with bushings and not even u-joints, It's the weakest link on the drive train. But hey, WE it should fit.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO Maggie Blown

Quote Originally Posted by superchargedblackgto View Post
    Did you buy a stock one? I believe they are all the same, however they are a 2 piece, pieace of junk with bushings and not even u-joints, It's the weakest link on the drive train. But hey, WE it should fit.
    Actually I don't know whats weaker.....The stock DriveShaft OR the stock Axles and Stubs! lol

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 1badcobravert View Post
    Actually I don't know whats weaker.....The stock DriveShaft OR the stock Axles and Stubs! lol
    This is true, I am on my third rear-end, thats why I went with BMR axel stubs and Half-shafts, and a BMR Drive-shaft
    '04 gto M6 slp ceramic coated headers,B&m sport shifter,harrop cover,3.5"aluminum BMR driveshaft, BMR axle stubs, BMR Half shafts, BMR SFC's, loudmouth2 exaust,90mm FAST T/B,Magancharger(high helix upgrade)......other misc. suspension,Cross drilled, slotted rotors. Meth Kit, spraying @ 3psi and up

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

This is true, I am on my third rear-end, thats why I went with BMR axel stubs and Half-shafts, and a BMR Drive-shaft
    Your third..... Sh_t how fast is your car....Low 10's.
    I know the 04's rears are suposed to be weaker but damn 3 already.
    Also what kind of 60' are you doing?
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Impulse Blue
    2004 GTO

Driveshafts are the same. Rears are the same except '05 and '06 got heat treated gearset. Axles are the same also. I have spares of everything from all 3 years and they are all the same.
    Rob
    04 GTO
    96 WS6

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Your third..... Sh_t how fast is your car....Low 10's.
    I know the 04's rears are suposed to be weaker but damn 3 already.
    Also what kind of 60' are you doing?
    The first time it was the axel stub on the drivers side, GM fixed it, and the second time I broke the bolts out of the drivers side half-shaft. I think the tech that installed it left a few outIDK, so I just ordered the BMR half-shafts and axel-stubs just in case, I already had the Harrop rear dif. on it and the BMR Drive-shaft. so the stock parts are in the garage. However after thos mods and the sfc's I have NO wheel hop what so ever. BTW, never had it @ the track, only an 1/8 MI. around here and it's about an hr and 1/2 away. It's just a daily driver....LOL

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

The first time it was the axel stub on the drivers side, GM fixed it, and the second time I broke the bolts out of the drivers side half-shaft. I think the tech that installed it left a few outIDK, so I just ordered the BMR half-shafts and axel-stubs just in case, I already had the Harrop rear dif. on it and the BMR Drive-shaft. so the stock parts are in the garage. However after thos mods and the sfc's I have NO wheel hop what so ever. BTW, never had it @ the track, only an 1/8 MI. around here and it's about an hr and 1/2 away. It's just a daily driver....LOL
    God I would have to buy a G Tech then!!! That's what we had to play with back in Indiana. Track was 1 1/2 hour drive.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/G-Tec...spagenameZWDVW

I was just curious cause I was doing 1.56 60's and running low 11's pedaling it due to wheel hop.
    O'h and the wheel hop issue your only see at the track when it tries to dead hook.
    What are you running for tires?

Black
    2004 GTO

God I would have to buy a G Tech then!!! That's what we had to play with back in Indiana. Track was 1 1/2 hour drive.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/G-Tec...spagenameZWDVW

I was just curious cause I was doing 1.56 60's and running low 11's pedaling it due to wheel hop.
    O'h and the wheel hop issue your only see at the track when it tries to dead hook.
    What are you running for tires?
    I had BAD!!!!!!! Wheel hop from day 1....and with some mods it got worse...hey how accurat is that thing? Stock tires, don't have DR 17" Id have to go look @ the brand

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I had BAD!!!!!!! Wheel hop from day 1....and with some mods it got worse...hey how accurat is that thing? Stock tires, don't have DR 17" Id have to go look @ the brand
    I have done LOT's of testing with them!
    They are actually Very accurate. Almost always within a half a tenth.
    And on the hp # within 25 usually.

I will tell you first hand it is hard with stick cars that hook good to keep them steady on the windshield.
    I found that some 200mph duck tape was the key.
    Nothing all crazy big. Just two pieces in a X over the suction cup to the windshield. then trim the excess with a razor blade.

Very fun and productive tool! You can make changes and then go test with it. After download into computer to see what kind of gain or losses the changes made. You can't feel 5-10 hp but you can see it on a graph.

Black
    2004 GTO

I have done LOT's of testing with them!
    They are actually Very accurate. Almost always within a half a tenth.
    And on the hp # within 25 usually.

I will tell you first hand it is hard with stick cars that hook good to keep them steady on the windshield.
    I found that some 200mph duck tape was the key.
    Nothing all crazy big. Just two pieces in a X over the suction cup to the windshield. then trim the excess with a razor blade.

Very fun and productive tool! You can make changes and then go test with it. After download into computer to see what kind of gain or losses the changes made. You can't feel 5-10 hp but you can see it on a graph.
    Oh, I know where abouts my #'s are before a few mods I was @ 447.2 rwhp with a FAT tune, should be a little more now and Im installing a Methanol kit next week that should be good for a few....Thanks I will try one out.
    Thanks again,
    Brad

Black
    2005 GTO

For any body interested the drive shafts are not the same. 04 is different from 05-06. The GM part # for the '04 is 92078604, for the 05/06 it is 92161752. Now if you have been thinking of getting a one piece from either BMR or the Driveshaft Shop, but haven't because the cost may be too much, check this out.

GM list price
    92078604-$1155.56
    92161752-$1649.57

BMR and The Driveshaft shop(this is what i have) look like quite a bargan now.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I got 2 stock 05/06 if anybody wants a spare or needs them.
    And NO they are NOT bent or damaged. Both were removed from cars with under 10,000 miles on them for Inland 1 piece.
    http://www.iedls.com/driveshafts.html

Mr.GTO

black
    2004 pontiac GTO

Different part numbers from 04s to 05/06s for the driveshafts? Well that being the case Rob pointed out they are still the same, so does that mean the 05/06 driveshaft should bolt right into my 04 even though the part numbers are different? Thanks agian for all the helpfull input and yeah 1500 bucks for a stock driveshaft is just plain wrong thank god for aftermarket driveshafts even though i cant even afford one of thoughs yet thats why iam trying to see if this will work.

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by starcheif View Post
    Different part numbers from 04s to 05/06s for the driveshafts? Well that being the case Rob pointed out they are still the same, so does that mean the 05/06 driveshaft should bolt right into my 04 even though the part numbers are different? Thanks agian for all the helpfull input and yeah 1500 bucks for a stock driveshaft is just plain wrong thank god for aftermarket driveshafts even though i cant even afford one of thoughs yet thats why iam trying to see if this will work.
    Yes. It will bolt up ok. stock shaft for 05-06 is a little wider on the rear section than the 04 so exhaust clearance may or may not be an issue, i don't
    know.
    I would still look into a one piece from the aftermarket.

Mr.GTO

black
    2004 pontiac GTO

Smile

Cool thanks well at least i know it will work. But yeah iam definatley going to be looking into a one piece driveshaft it would be a good investment and give me a good piece of mind.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Man I can tell you the one piece DS made a big difference in the "response" of getting the power to the ground.....

Thread Information