Thread: Stabil

Qucik Silver Metalic
    2004 GTO - M6

Stabil

Bessie's been sitt'in for 2 1/2 months on a trickle charge and we've had more snow up here in the last five weeks than I've seen in 25 years. I haven't gotten her out to fill her and put stabil in the tank. Nor have I started her.

Therefore my question is; how long before I may experience fuel breakdown?

I don't want to gum up my injectors...

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

I would get some stabil in the tank asap. Gas doesn't stay good for very long. You'll want to run the engine for a while to get the stabil into the fuel lines also.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

I would do the same,better safe then sorry,let her run for long enough to cycle the fans,this burns off condensation in motor as well.

Nero
    2006 gto

I'll probably get blasted for mistreating my GTO, but here's my story. I filled up with 93 grade Sunoco on Nov. 2nd, and was pulled over for expired registration Nov 4th. Needless to say, the local municipal court screwed up and said I never paid a ticket for front license plate display, so my registration was tied up for 2 months. I started the car twice in that 2 month period, and never moved it more than a few feet in the driveway. Now its January and I have a new registration, and I can say that Ive seen ZERO detrimental effects from leaving the gas in the engine. All I did was burn through it quick and refilled it the same day I got it back on the road. Shes behaving beautifully now, albeit a 3-4mpg drop thats slowly going back up to normal ranges.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I've read on this before and there's really not a lot of credible information out there on how long before gas starts to degrade to the point of causing trouble. I can only tell you what I've taken from the stuff I've read. Gas in a sealed container out of direct sunlight will last quite a while. That would lead me to believe that in our non-vented gas tanks you could get a month or two out of it before you had to start worrying about it. I've read that you lose 1 octane point a month but I also read somewhere a few years ago that it was non-linear meaning you lost, and I'm going by half ass memory here, 3 points the first 4 weeks then 1 point a month after that for a certain number of months then half a point and so on. I just pulled those numbers out of the air as an example.

Some links to read through on the subject:
    http://chemistry.about.com/gi/dynami...e%2Dfaq/part1/

http://chemistry.about.com/gi/dynami...Gasoline6.html

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm
    Last edited by 0rion; 01-12-2009 at 05:21 PM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Rule of thumb is gas is good in a sealed environment for 90 days. The it starts to degrade (losing power/BTU) for the next 45 days. After that it starts to breakdown (jelly).....after 6 months you are going to have issues.
    Some "knowns"....if the gas is stirred ( started and allow the fuel pump to "stir" the tank)....it delays the process for 30 days......

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    I'll probably get blasted for mistreating my GTO, but here's my story. I filled up with 93 grade Sunoco on Nov. 2nd, and was pulled over for expired registration Nov 4th. Needless to say, the local municipal court screwed up and said I never paid a ticket for front license plate display, so my registration was tied up for 2 months. I started the car twice in that 2 month period, and never moved it more than a few feet in the driveway. Now its January and I have a new registration, and I can say that Ive seen ZERO detrimental effects from leaving the gas in the engine. All I did was burn through it quick and refilled it the same day I got it back on the road. Shes behaving beautifully now, albeit a 3-4mpg drop thats slowly going back up to normal ranges.

I don't think you will have a problem.
    My buddy had his 2000 Silverado impounded for a year he wasn't able to do anything to it. Just look at it through a fence. When he got it back he put a new battery in it changed the oil and filled the tank up. Once he ran that tank of gas through it he changed the fuel filter. All has been good no engine issues in the 6 years after this happened.

Ryan

Qucik Silver Metalic
    2004 GTO - M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Rule of thumb is gas is good in a sealed environment for 90 days. The it starts to degrade (losing power/BTU) for the next 45 days. After that it starts to breakdown (jelly).....after 6 months you are going to have issues.
    Some "knowns"....if the gas is stirred ( started and allow the fuel pump to "stir" the tank)....it delays the process for 30 days......
    Thanks Sarge - I've waiting for you to chime in...

Thread Information