Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Should I buy GTO w/Cams?

This is a discussion on Should I buy GTO w/Cams? within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; You might say its rediculous, but I dont think its ridiculous at all. I came out of it with the ...

Nero
    2006 gto

You might say its rediculous, but I dont think its ridiculous at all. I came out of it with the warranty, all service records, and the knowledge that I wasnt buying someone else's possible mistakes. ~$9000--to me--is a small price jump to pay for what I got. Oh, and that included all taxes, registration, and insurance charges. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    You might say its rediculous, but I dont think its ridiculous at all. I came out of it with the warranty, all service records, and the knowledge that I wasnt buying someone else's possible mistakes. ~$9000--to me--is a small price jump to pay for what I got. Oh, and that included all taxes, registration, and insurance charges. Sorry I forgot to mention that.
    I just think its ridiculous since both had the LS2, both had descent mileage (yours DAMN low), the cheaper one had EXPENSIVE modifications, and was priced DAMN low by the sound of it. I would hope you didn't pay over 20k for the 06 though. Even if you had problems with the 05, you would still come out way ahead. Hell, sell the supercharger, and theres damn near 12 grand difference. Hell, you could build a damn good motor, put it in, along with a LOAD of other upgrades and STILL come out ahead or at least break even. If you don't do your work, or whatnot, I can somewhat understand, but still, thats a huge price difference. Hell, I only paid 9k for my car, and it came with a 7k motor (aside from the one in the car), STS turbo, Moser 12 bolt, and a bunch of other stuff. I got lucky in finding such a good deal, and I took it. I think the 05 would have been a wiser choice, at least for me. 9k is alot of difference, and NOTHING could cost that much to replace, granted something went wrong. Just my opinion though. You must have a damn good job to spend that much extra though.
    Last edited by squee; 11-06-2008 at 05:28 PM.

Nero
    2006 gto

squee, I totally see what you're saying. A little back info... This all went down in October of last year, and GTOs were damn hard to find in this area. The Almighty Internet found 11 that fit my criteria within 500 miles, and 7 of them had been sold already. I bought the car from a dealership, whereas the other car was being privately sold by someone I didnt know. IMO, if I was gonna s/c a GTO, I was gonna drive it like it was stolen. Also IMO, a 2005 GTO with 40K+ on it and a possibility it was thrashed on wasnt worth the risk. I understand I could have done the work to get it where I wanted it to be, but I wasnt looking for a project car. I wanted something I could drive off the lot with and not have to worry "Is this supposed to feel this way?"

It really all comes back to personal preference. I was lucky enough to be able to afford paying MSRP for the car I wanted; and thats the car I got. Granted I didnt pay MSRP (not that stupid) And not once have I wondered "what if I gotten the 05 instead..?". All I can say is, I hope the OP has the same feeling with his Goat.

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

I would have no problem buying it, if you can get it for 18-19k. Make sure you look it over or take it to a mechanic you trust.

It seems like all the GTOs 2006 in my area are all listed for $22,000-24,000. None of which are selling. I know the KBB is about $18500 for normal mileage. How do you guys find good deals? Would you ever consider purchasing off eBay?

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyv View Post
    It seems like all the GTOs 2006 in my area are all listed for $22,000-24,000. None of which are selling. I know the KBB is about $18500 for normal mileage. How do you guys find good deals? Would you ever consider purchasing off eBay?
    Were you live makes a BIG difference. I would never pay over blue book unless it's a collectable. Just got to look around. Took 20 seconds and did autotrader. got 52 hits from 20k and under.

Quote Originally Posted by adam3566 View Post
    Were you live makes a BIG difference. I would never pay over blue book unless it's a collectable. Just got to look around. Took 20 seconds and did autotrader. got 52 hits from 20k and under.
    Must be a Texas thing, but within 200 miles of my zip, I pulled 2 listings and one of those is an auto; which isn't even a consideration for me...so 1 listing...

Ray Charles blue

There is a 06 QSM6-speed near me with around 30k miles for 19.9k. This place will actually deal so I am sure you could walk out with it for around 19 or less.

Elmira, NY is where, Elm Chevrolet. I just looked at the car last week online.

Quote Originally Posted by adam3566 View Post
    I did a search on autotrader and only pulled 2 within 250 miles and one of those was an automatic...something that I am not even considering as an option

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    There is a 06 QSM6-speed near me with around 30k miles for 19.9k. This place will actually deal so I am sure you could walk out with it for around 19 or less.

Elmira, NY is where, Elm Chevrolet. I just looked at the car last week online.
    I'd prefer to not fly and buy, unless its a drive that can be done in one day. I don't want to start getting into hotels and finding someone to watch my dog...blah blah blah.

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyv View Post
    I'd prefer to not fly and buy, unless its a drive that can be done in one day. I don't want to start getting into hotels and finding someone to watch my dog...blah blah blah.
    I understand and agree, just saying there are decent deals out there. Check LS1GTO.com there are some good ones for sale RIGHT NOW in Texas.

awesome, ill check that out right now, thanks for that info TLS!!

Ray Charles blue

I have the same name over there too. They are a good bunch of guys.

I created an account with bobbyv. I wish there was a way to search just the classifieds for texas cars. Any suggestions?

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Hey Bobbyv, Google- texas 06 gto for sale, Then when they come up try Texas Pontiac GTO cars for sale. They have tons all in Texas and there are also other ones I did'nt check out, Good luck, Jack

Ray Charles blue

Bobby.......there is only 1 for sale section. Should be pretty easy to find the Texas cars. I think they were all 06's so you could probably search by that or Texas.

I'm thinking my desired GTO is too rare. Even though when I do searches, I just run 2006 GTO 6m and see what comes up. I will just keep checking sites daily. I can't want to get my GTO!!!!

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Mods

Just what kind of mods does it have? Are internals stock?
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    Just what kind of mods does it have? Are internals stock?
    Its all in the first post of this thread..

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Bobbuv, the info I sent you was of no help?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information