Thread: Shift Light?

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Shift Light?

I've got an'04 GTO. It's got the six speed and I havn't figured out how the shift light works. Seen it on some vids on the web and figure I've just missed something. Also, can't decide. Should I go with a Corsa single tip oval outlet or Borla twin outlet (single side) exhaust system? Any opinions would be appreciated!

BadBlueBuggy
    I thought you had to have the cluster reprogrammed for the shift light to work.

GTO shift light

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO Maggie Blown

Quote Originally Posted by BadBlueBuggy
    I thought you had to have the cluster reprogrammed for the shift light to work.

GTO shift light
    YOU DO........

Torrid Red
    05 GTO

Wonder why its there then.....

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO Maggie Blown

to make us want it turned on and then piss us off when it costs a fortune to......

Silver

Wonder what would happen if you took it in under warranty and told the dealer that the shift light stopped working and asked them to fix it. It's there it does light up so who's to say that it didn't work.

txcosmos
    It's a Holden option that wasn't activated in the GM product.

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

So....... If it's a Holden option would all the mechanics be in place to activate it? Regardless, I'll call the dealership and pursue the "malfunction". I'll get back to you guys on that one.

Torrid Red
    05 GTO

I think I may find an instrument cluster off of ebay or something and send it in to get turned on. Its there-might as well use it!

Actually, it was never a Holden option. GM designed the cluster to include the shift light for the North America market, and right before production, GM's attorneys axed it and GM disabled it. Go to gtoshiftlight.com, and you can get the light activated. They figured out how to hack the cluster and found the "switches" in the software....along with a ton of other options like activation rpms, start up displays, personalization features, etc. The dealerships don't have the ability to activate the light because their software doesn't even see the "switches." So yeah, its either White Automotive or nothing at this point. I had mine done and I am pleased with the results. Alot of people have talked about how easy it should be to do and why pay someone whatever the charge is- I think its 150, but I cant remember for sure - to do it for you, but I have yet to see anyone else that has been able to activate the shift light.

Impulse Blue
    2004 GTO

As CCM said, it was supposed to be a working shift light but got axxed at the last minute.

Even on Pontiac's website before the launch of the '04, there was a video of the gauges going threw 1st and 2nd gear with the shift light working. Then they revised it so the light didn't come on but was the same video.

I've had mine working for about a year
    Rob
    04 GTO
    96 WS6

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

So...... I guess I have to ship off the CPU? Is that the process? Oh yea. About that exhaust. I'm still leaning towards Corsa. Any suggestions there?

Impulse Blue
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby D.
    So...... I guess I have to ship off the CPU? Is that the process? Oh yea. About that exhaust. I'm still leaning towards Corsa. Any suggestions there?
    Chris will go around the country if enough people are interested. Or you just pull your cluster out and send it to him. I think all the info is on his website.

It only takes a couple of minutes to get it working. I think we had 23 cars when he came to Delaware. He knocked them all out in a few hours. Just hooked his laptop up and did the deed.

I also had the daytime running lights turned off along with the light. He can change the start up logo and add what gear you are in if wanted. I didn't opt for those though.

I had mine done before he started doing the color changing options, so mine is still stock. He does a lot of neat things with the cluster and radio now also. Pretty nice guy also

Thread Information