Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    T/A=LOTS of Vagina =X

Dark Blue
    98 Trans Am =]

Shell Vs. Chevron

What gas would you guys rate better for a 2005 gto right now I use 91 chevron?

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

91 chevron
    I like 76 better

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

I'd say you are just fine. I've seen a lot of people on here run Shell though and say they like the response and gas mileage they get from it. I personally have only used BP 93 in my car since it had 8 miles on the ticker. Never had one issue.

T/A=LOTS of Vagina =X

Dark Blue
    98 Trans Am =]

Yea I'm just trying to see which one will give me the best
    Mpg Cuz chevron seems to burn kind of quick?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by wanna_lS1 View Post
    Yea I'm just trying to see which one will give me the best
    Mpg Cuz chevron seems to burn kind of quick?
    Why don't you just track mpg with Shell one week and then do the same thing using Chevron the next week? That would be a simple test.

T/A=LOTS of Vagina =X

Dark Blue
    98 Trans Am =]

Very true experimental time next week I just filled up the beast last night =O

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I average about 12-14mpg I think I drive it pretty spirited

T/A=LOTS of Vagina =X

Dark Blue
    98 Trans Am =]

Haha yea that's what I'm getting too!! I used to get great gas mileage in my trans am but now I picked up my GTO and my lead foot just got heavier haha

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

It's funny how these cars make our foot heavier
    2002 Camaro SS/M6. Volant CAI, 80mm TB w/spacer, cat delete w/ ory, borla XR-1 w/ cme, custom tune, 3.73's, 8,000k HID headlights and foglights, 19" staggered ruff 278 wheels.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I only run Shell gas in my cars. I havent had any issues with their gas.

spice red
    2006 gto

I run Shell in my cars. Chevron does not sell in my area any longer. BP is the only other major brand in my area now. Shell has preformed better in my cars, and that is what I will continue to run.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

They all use the same base gas from the same providers. The difference is in the detergents and additives each brand adds to the base gas. I've heard that Shell and Chevron are both top rated in the quality of additives they use. My friend says that his Porsche manual recommends Shell gas. I have Chevrons and BPs around me and I've used both for like 10 years and never had a complaint.

Yellow
    2004 GTO

Go online and put TOP Tier fuel any station that sell top tier fuel is good to used and Shell and Chevron sells it

Yellow
    2004 GTO

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers

Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.

Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:
    76 Petro-Canada
    Aloha Petroleum Phillips 66
    Chevron QuikTrip
    Chevron Canada Rebel Oil
    Conoco Road Ranger
    CountryMark Severson Oil
    Entec Stations Shell
    Esso Shell Canada
    Exxon Sunoco Canada
    Kwik Trip / Kwik Star Texaco
    MFA Oil Co. The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
    Mileage Stations Tri-Par Oil Co.
    Mobil Turkey Hill Minit Markets
    U.S. Oil

Yellow
    2004 GTO

Top Tier Gasoline
    Home Retailers Why Top Tier Deposit Control

Top Tier Detergent Gasoline

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is the premier standard for gasoline performance. Six of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.

Since the minimum additive performance standards were first established by EPA in 1995, most gasoline marketers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additive in their gasoline by up to 50%. As a result, the ability of a vehicle to maintain stringent Tier 2 emission standards have been hampered, leading to engine deposits which can have a big impact on in-use emissions and driver satisfaction.

These automakers have raised the bar. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline help drivers avoid lower quality gasoline which can leave deposits on critical engine parts, which reduces engine performance. That's something both drivers and automakers want to avoid.

Yellow
    2004 GTO

Top Tier Gasoline
    Home Retailers Why Top Tier Deposit Control

Deposit Control Standards

The standards developed by the four automobile manufacturers (BMW, General Motors, Honda, and Toyota) for TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline are described below. This technical document describes the deposit control performance of unleaded gasoline at the retail level that minimizes deposits on fuel injectors, intake valves, and combustion chambers. These standards comprise the requirements for TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

Standards

1.1 Retail Gasoline Performance Standards. The deposit control performance of unleaded gasoline conforming to section 1 of this document shall be met at the retail level in all grades of gasoline sold by a fuel company in all marketing areas of a selected nation. In addition, conformance to the standards shall mean gasoline sold in the selected nation shall not contain metallic additives, including methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT).

1.2 Deposit Control Additive Requirements. The deposit control additive used to meet the performance Standards described in 1.3 shall meet the substantially similar definition under Section 211(f) of the Clean Air Act. Also, the additive shall be certified to have met the minimum deposit control requirements established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in 40 CFR Part 80. Lastly, the additive shall be registered with the EPA in accordance with 40 CFR Part 79.

1.3 Deposit Control Initial Performance Standards. Initial deposit control performance shall be demonstrated using the tests shown below.

1.3.1 Intake Valve Keep Clean Initial Performance Standard.

1.3.1.1 Test Method. Intake valve deposit (IVD) keep clean performance shall be demonstrated using ASTM D 6201, Standard Test Method for Dynamometer Evaluation of Unleaded Spark-lgnition Engine Fuel for Intake Valve Deposit Formation. Tests demonstrating base fuel minimum deposit level (1.3.1.2) and additive performance (1.3.1.3) shall be conducted using the same engine block and cylinder head. All results shall be derived from operationally valid tests in accordance with the test validation criteria of ASTM D 6201. IVD results shall be reported for individual valves and as an average of all valves.

1.3.1.2 Base Fuel. The base fuel shall conform to ASTM D 4814 and shall contain commercial fuel grade ethanol conforming to ASTM D 4806. All gasoline blend stocks used to formulate the base fuel shall be representative of normal U.S. refinery operations and shall be derived from conversion units downstream of distillation. Butanes and pentanes are allowed for vapor pressure adjustment. The use of chemical streams is prohibited. The base fuel shall have the following specific properties after the addition of ethanol:

1. Contain enough denatured ethanol such that the actual ethanol content is no less than 8.0 and no more than 10.0 volume percent.
    2. Contain no less than 8 volume percent olefins. At least 75% of the olefins shall be derived from FCC gasoline as defined by CARB (advisory letter, April 19, 2001).
    3. Contain no less than 28 volume percent aromatics as measured by ASTM D 1319 or D 5580.
    4. Contain no less than 24 mg/kg sulfur as measured by ASTM D 2622 or D 5453. At least 60% of the sulfur shall be derived from FCC blend stock.
    5. Produce a 90% evaporation distillation temperature no less than 290F. as measured by ASTM D 86.
    6. Produce IVD no less than 500 mg averaged over all intake valves.

1.3.1.3 Demonstration of Performance. The base fuel from 1.3.1.2 shall contain enough deposit control additive such the IVD is no more than 50 mg averaged over all intake valves. Results for individual valves and an average shall be reported. The unwashed gum level of the fuel containing deposit control additive shall be determined according to ASTM D 381 and reported.

1.3.2 Combustion Chamber Deposit Initial Performance Standard.

1.3.2.1 Test Method. Combustion chamber deposits (CCD) shall be collected and weighed along with IVD using ASTM D 6201, Standard Test Method for Dynamometer Evaluation of Unleaded Spark-Ignition Engine Fuel for Intake Valve Deposit Formation. ASTM D 6201 does not contain a procedure for collecting and measuring CCD. Adapting a scrape and weigh procedure developed by CARB is recommended (see referenced test method dated March 12, 1999). Results for individual cylinders and an average shall be reported.

1.3.2.2 Base Fuel. Combustion chamber deposits shall be measured for the base fuel from 1.3.1.2.

1.3.2.3 Demonstration of Performance. The base fuel from 1.3.1.2 treated with additive at the concentration meeting the standard found in 1.3.1.3 shall not result in more than 140% of the average CCD weight for the base fuel without additive.

1.3.3 Fuel Injector Fouling Initial Performance Standard.

1.3.3.1 Test Method. Fuel injector fouling shall be measured using the TOP TIER fuel injector fouling vehicle test available from GM. GM will run the test on a first-come-first-served basis and shall make the method available to those who wish to run the test on their own.

1.3.3.2 Base Fuel. Two options for base fuel are available:

1.3.3.2.1 Option 1. A full boiling range hydrocarbon gasoline or gasoline blending component, without oxygenates and without deposit control additives, that results in at least five inoperative injectors when tested by the method in 1.3.3.1.

1.3.3.2.2 Option 2. Federal emissions test gasoline specified in DFR 86.113-04, into which 4-methylbenzenethiol (WARNING: Flammable solid; irritant) has been blended at a concentration of 56 mg/L. The blended fuel must result in at least four inoperative injectors when tested by the method in 1.3.3.1. the Federal emissions gasoline, without deposit control additives, available from Haltermann Products (1201 South Sheldon Road, Channelview, TX 77530; tel.: 800-969-2542) has been found to be satisfactory.

1.3.3.3 Demonstration of Performance. A demonstration of injector fouling shall be done first. At least five out of six injectors (with Option 1) or at least four out of six injectors (with Option 2) shall be inoperative for the test to be valid. A demonstration of additive performance shall be done after the fouling tendency demonstration; no other test shall be conducted on the vehicle in the interim. A demonstration of additive performance shall be conducted using the same vehicle (including the fuel drain and flush procedures and installing new injectors) with the same batch of base fuel, but now containing the same amount of deposit control additive as in 1.3.1.3. A pass is defined as no more than one inoperative injector.

1.3.4 Determination of Deposit Control Additive Performance Concentration.

1.3.4.1 Methodology. The concentration of deposit control additive needed to meet the standards in 1.3.1.3 and 1.3.3.3 should be equivalent. However, if the concentration of deposit control additive in 1.3.3.3 is grater than in 1.3.1.3m the higher value shall be regarded as meeting both standards. Also, if the difference between the two concentrations is grater than 15%, 1.3.2.3 shall be repeated using the higher concentration.

1.3.5 Intake Valve Sticking Initial Performance Standard.

1.3.5.1 Test Method. Intake valve sticking tendency shall be determined using either the 1.9 L Volkswagen engine (Wasserboxer according to CEC F-16-T-96) or the 5.0 L 1990-95 General Motors V-8 engine (SWRI IVS test). Two options are available for demonstrating intake valve sticking tendency.

1.3.5.2 Option 1. The valve-sticking tendency of the test fuel by itself will not have to be demonstrated prior to testing the candidate additive. The following shall be required of all tests:

1. Test fuel shall be either the same as in 1.3.1.2 or CEC valve sticking reference fuel.
    2. Concentration of deposit control additive in the test fuel shall be at least twice the amount determined in 1.3.4.1.
    3. Test temperature shall be -20�C.
    4. Three 16-hr cold soak cycles, each followed by a compression pressure check, shall constitute a complete test.

1.3.5.2.1 Demonstration of Performance. A pass shall result in no stuck valves during any of the three cold starts. A stuck valve is defined as one in which the cylinder pressure is less than 80% of the normal average cylinder compression pressure.

1.3.5.3 Option 2. The valve-sticking tendency of the test fuel together with an additive known to cause valve sticking shall be demonstrated prior to testing the candidate additive. The following shall be required of all tests:

1. Test fuel shall be either the same as in 1.3.1.2 or CEC valve sticking test reference fuel.
    2. An additive known to cause valve sticking shall be selected, and, when blended into test fuel, shall demonstrate valve sticking tendency as follows: (a) for the Volkswagen engine, at least two valves shall be stuck; (b) for the GM engine, at least three valves shall be stuck.
    3. Test demonstrating performance of the candidate additive shall be conducted at a concentration that is at least three times the amount determined in 1.3.4.1.
    4. Test temperature shall be -20�C.
    5. One 16-hr cold soak cycle followed by a compression pressure check shall constitute a complete test.

1.3.5.3.1 Demonstration of Performance. A pass shall result in no stuck valves during the cold start. A stuck valve is defined as one in which cylinder compression is less than 80% of the normal average cylinder compression pressure.

That's interesting, the only Shell I see on that list is Canada???

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I provided the website where to find information about Top Tier in my first post....not sure why you felt the need to copy and past it all in here...

I'll post it again. http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

FBJ - Go to that link. Shell is on there. Andy didn't copy and paste correctly

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I provided the website where to find information about Top Tier in my first post....not sure why you felt the need to copy and past it all in here...

I'll post it again. http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

FBJ - Go to that link. Shell is on there. Andy didn't copy and paste correctly
    An American Shell and not Canada right??? I use Shell sometimes but usually Chevron out here now. Since it seems all the Shell stations bump the price 15 cents a gallon if you use your debit card (which is the only way I pump gas anymore) Where as the other stations don't do that. Pretty lame on Shells part if you ask me.
    Used Sunoco exclusively before I moved. Don't have those out here in AZ though.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It states "Shell" and "Shell Canada" as two separate entities.

We have 1 Shell station in my immediate area that is still left standing. A few of the others have closed down. They are typically 10 cents or more higher than the surrounding gas stations. Their lot is usually empty.

Thread Information