hugger orange

Seat Removal and Replacement

I want to put racing buckets in my 04 GTO. Do I have to do anything special to stop the airbag light from coming on after I hook the battery back up?

Yellowjacket
    2004 Pontiac GTO M6

Seat removal...

you don't have to unhook the battery to remove the seats. Just be sure the key is removed from the ignition. Then remove the seat(s). Then, if you plan to insert your key before re-installing the seat(s), BE SURE to remove the seatbelt receptacle from the seat with a T50 torx bit and plug the receptacle back into the wiring harness.

The key to NOT setting off the airbag light is in the seatbelt receptacle.

Every time I go to the track, I remove my passenger seat. I've got it down to about 5 minutes for the whole process. Then, I tuck the plugged-in seatbelt receptacle under the carpet and out of the way.

hugger orange

Thank you georgiarocker!

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I have made a new thread for your seat replacement seeing that it was under the rollbar install topic.

This way it is much easier for anyone interested in the seat issue to find answers.

PLEASE don't be affraid to start a new thread if you have ?'s that aren't in the GTO area yet.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Black
    2004 GTO

I take the passenger seat out when I race so the key thing didn't work for me. What I ended up doing was simply unbolting the seatbelt from the seat and stuffing it under the carpet. That way you never unplug the airbag sensor. It takes an extra two minutes to do it and I don't have to find someone with a Tech II to reset the light.

Yellowjacket
    2004 Pontiac GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Wavydavy View Post
    I take the passenger seat out when I race so the key thing didn't work for me. What I ended up doing was simply unbolting the seatbelt from the seat and stuffing it under the carpet. That way you never unplug the airbag sensor. It takes an extra two minutes to do it and I don't have to find someone with a Tech II to reset the light.
    That's strange Dave. So, you still threw an airbag light, even after hooking the seatbelt back into the yellow wire harness?

hugger orange

what if i'm taking the seats and belts out for good? I'm going with racing buckets and 5point harnesses..... I know, it's mainly for the look and my car isn't that fast yet lol

Black
    2004 GTO

Rick, I meant if I unplugged it to take the seats out to race I would have to start the car with the seat out so I threw the light. If I kept the seatbelt plugged in it wouldn't throw it. So by removing the seatbelt from the seat and leaving it in the car while I raced I had no issues. That's either clearer than I had it before or even more convoluted, hope it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgiarocker View Post
    That's strange Dave. So, you still threw an airbag light, even after hooking the seatbelt back into the yellow wire harness?

hugger orange

I just might pop out the light, and pull out the air bag sytem altogether. I'm not going to sell it and doing as much to it as I can to lose weight. It's just going to be a play and weekend car and not going to be a daily driver any more... Plus since I have no rear seats (had to lose them to mount the five point harnesses) I would be able to SAFELY mount my son's rear facing car seat in the front (if the need would arise)

Yellowjacket
    2004 Pontiac GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    I just might pop out the light, and pull out the air bag sytem altogether. I'm not going to sell it and doing as much to it as I can to lose weight. It's just going to be a play and weekend car and not going to be a daily driver any more... Plus since I have no rear seats (had to lose them to mount the five point harnesses) I would be able to SAFELY mount my son's rear facing car seat in the front (if the need would arise)

Stripped down, caged race car with a contingency plan for the baby seat...
    Spoken like a true Pennsylvanian.
    Makes me homesick.

hugger orange

lol and just think georgiarocker, I have only lived here in PA for around a year... don't take long to get settled in here

Thread Information