sarge.....boat question

This is a discussion on sarge.....boat question within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I started tackling my boat today. I've already had it out once this year but I want to get the ...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sarge.....boat question

I started tackling my boat today. I've already had it out once this year but I want to get the gas tank issue fixed. My brother had the boat before me and his gas gauge quit working. He thought it was a sender issue so he just cut the main line and started using a portable tank so he'd know how much gas he had. The only problem was the gauge was sticking so now I'd like to get the on board tank working....it's 16 gallons and beats the hell out of wagging around the 6 gallon portable. Today I looked at what it would take to pull that tank out and it looks like a real pain in the ass to get out of there. I'd for sure have to drill 20 or so rivets and then depending on the orientation of the tank I might have to take the whole floor out of the damn thing. I don't want to do that if I can get away with it.
    I pumped all the old gas out of there today. It was rank too. Been in there for 2-3 years. That's where my question comes in. Any ideas/tips on how to flush that tank without having to pull it? I'd thought about putting 10 gallons of kerosene in it and pumping that out followed by 10 gallons of gas and pumping that out. There was ~7 gallons of the old shit in there. It has 2 automotive fuel filters in line before the engine which has a filter on it before the carbs. After the flush I was going to change out those filters. Think that flush plan would work? Know of anything other than the kerosene I could flush with prior to the gas flush or should I just do a gas flush?
    I know pulling the tank is ideal and probably what I should do but it really looks like a pain in the ass to get out of there. I'm 99% sure I'd have to pull the floor out of it to get the tank out which would mean all the pedestals in the back would have to come out and a ton of other stuff not to mention all those damn hard to reach rivets I'd have to drill out and replace. If the flush method won't work I'll just continue using the portable tank.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Beat the shit out of your brother.
    Make sure the tank vent is clean and operational and unobstructed.
    Get it in a open area. I use 5 gallon plastic buckets.....siphon all the gas out. You can use one of those cheap siphon (hand) pumps or a cheap 12v pump. The hardware store will sell you gallons of alcohol. Put that( couple of gallons) in there and when you siphon it out siphon it through paper coffee filters. Repeat this a few times until your coffee filters are clean. I have been through this a few times. The alcohol just instantly melts "gel" and crap. Blow through your fuel lines and replace your in line fuel filter after you have done the alcohol tank flush thing.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Make sure the tank vent is clean and operational and unobstructed.
    Get it in a open area. I use 5 gallon plastic buckets.....siphon all the gas out. You can use one of those cheap siphon (hand) pumps or a cheap 12v pump. The hardware store will sell you gallons of alcohol. Put that( couple of gallons) in there and when you siphon it out siphon it through paper coffee filters. Repeat this a few times until your coffee filters are clean. I have been through this a few times. The alcohol just instantly melts "gel" and crap. Blow through your fuel lines and replace your in line fuel filter after you have done the alcohol tank flush thing.
    thanks Sarge. I figured your old ass has done this before. Just regular rubbing alcohol then? Should I try to put enough to get up to the level it was sitting at? I had also thought about just putting 3-4 gallons in there and hooking the boat up to the truck and driving it around a bit and let that shit slosh around in there.
    I do like the coffee filter idea. I may slip those back in the box when I'm finished. The gas/alcohol/coffee combination might make my wife a little more agreeable.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

...and beat the shit out of your brother.

What kind of boat?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO View Post

What kind of boat?
    he knows he screwed up. The sad thing is he paid a guy to look at it when it first messed up and the guy he paid never thought to tap on the gauge or even ohm it out.
    It's an 18ft sea nymph. Decent fishing boat. Has casting decks, live wells, blah blah blah. 50HP evinrude on it.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    thanks Sarge. I figured your old ass has done this before. Just regular rubbing alcohol then? Should I try to put enough to get up to the level it was sitting at? I had also thought about just putting 3-4 gallons in there and hooking the boat up to the truck and driving it around a bit and let that shit slosh around in there.
    I do like the coffee filter idea. I may slip those back in the box when I'm finished. The gas/alcohol/coffee combination might make my wife a little more agreeable.
    Shit I did leave the "haul the boat around town for a bit to slosh all that shit around" out of my comment. It is not rubbing alcohol but they call it something like industrial alcohol. Beat the shit out of your brother.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

l
    Orion...after you get it all done put a bottle of sea foam in the gas run it through the motor till gone,shit works awesome...

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO View Post

What kind of boat?
    fishing boat,what else is there?lol
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    fishing boat,what else is there?lol
    I meant to call you today and never got around to it. Depending on the weather do you want to go flathead fishing Saturday night? Head out down there around 4 or 5pm and fish until midnight or so depending on if they're biting. The biggest deal is the weather. Looks like it might be ok Saturday afternoon/night though.

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

Well be out on the river almost every weekend! Took her out last week. Ran like a top! I was raised on the water and my dad was one of teh top techs at MMI....its in my blood! HEHE

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I meant to call you today and never got around to it. Depending on the weather do you want to go flathead fishing Saturday night? Head out down there around 4 or 5pm and fish until midnight or so depending on if they're biting. The biggest deal is the weather. Looks like it might be ok Saturday afternoon/night though.
    sounds good to me !

Thread Information