Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Rollbar Install Part I

Well that was a job. Hotter than hell yesterday and I just don't bend well anymore....but I wanted it so it is done. Some quick history of what and why.....
    I wanted to stiffen the body up and add some weight to the rear. You know we all bust ass to reduce weight then find we don't have enough weight to get the traction we need....and having the iron block up front I needed a little more weight in the rear to balance things out. And of course a little safety was in mind as I am having too much fun and don't feel like biting the big weenier anytime soon...so a roll bar doesn't hurt in any muscle car. I did not do this to pass spec at the track....so I did not care if it was NHRA legal or not frankly....I did it for the reasons stated above. Now some will argue a bolt and plate solution bolted to the floor steel will "punch through" in a roll over. I don't think so guys. The impact is absorbed to the four mounting points and the backing plates are 1/4" steel. 3/8" bolts and double nuts secure the plates and the mounting plates welded to the roll bar. Roll bar itself is high quality/excellent welds/stout stuff. I bought this one from Jim Gravana....it is made by AutoPower...they make cages/rollbars etc. for the GTO...so knock yourself out....but I went with the 4 point....cost like $450 and I paid $78 dollars when it was delivered.....here it is delivered....weighed 62lbs by the way....

All the backing plates and bolts/nuts....

I wiped it down with Mineral Spirits and painted it gloss black as there were a few scratches etc. from shipping.....

I went ahead and got Oprah black ass up in the air so I could work a little easier...aren't Rhino Ramps a deal at $20 bucks? I've had these for a few years and they are worth $20 bucks for sure Before disconnecting your battery...raise both front seats all the way up and put them in the middle of the rail.....

Disconnect the positive battery lead.....

Take the seats out...the front seats both have "covers" over the bolts....they just snap off....on the sides you have two that snap together in the middle....

Here are your 16mm bolts....disconnect the two wiring connections and remove the four bolts per seat and pull it out....

Back seats now...the lower seats have two quick release under the front of the seats...one on each side....

hugger orange

already got the roll bar? that was a pretty good turn around time for a small shop!
    I'll be watching your progress off and on today durning my breaks for gutting mine. you were right, it is amazing just how much weight you can easily take out of the goat... good luck to both of us!
    Oh hey Sarge, i'm in the process of helping my traction problem the old fashioned way, I'm pulling my quarters out few inches so I have more room for alot bigger tire. I've got her gutted and going to start the cutting next friday when I get home from work!
    Last edited by mark21742; 04-27-2008 at 05:44 AM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yeah....they took about 5 weeks from order to delivery....no complaints.....

Thread Information