hugger orange

rear gto springs

im getting ready to install springs all around on the 04 goat tonight. I looked at the front install and was wondering if there are any secrets to the rear springs, or if you unbolt the shocks and srings pop out?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

I would guess once you have the rear lifted and the suspension fully extended you just need to compress the springs to remove/install them. Same on the front to remove them from the strut. Just grab a spring compressor and you will be good. Be careful though don't want those springs shooting towards ya!

hugger orange

it took me about 3 hours last night to swap both front and rear springs, with 3 or 4 smoke breaks and just taking my time. I used Eibach 1.2 drop springs to replace the stock originals. if anyone questions stock rear spring sag, just ask me. the new springs lower the front by a hair over an inch, but raised the rear over a half inch which meant the rear of my car sagged about two inches stock.

1) i jacked the back of the car up
    2) knocked the car in neutral and unbolted the the axles ( 6 8mm allen head bolts)
    3) unbolted the top swaybar end link bolts (13mm nut and bolt on each side)
    4) unbolted the bottom of the shock (19mm bolt)
    5) then jacked the car up another 6-8 inches and the rear springs just slide right out with the top rubber

6) then lowered the rear enough to get the bottom shock bolt back in and reassembled

the whole rear swap took about an hour with smoke break between assembly and reassembly......this was the easiest spring swap i have ever done

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    im getting ready to install springs all around on the 04 goat tonight. I looked at the front install and was wondering if there are any secrets to the rear springs, or if you unbolt the shocks and srings pop out?
    remove the shocks let car suspension drop and also the sway bar bushing ,then simply just reach up and reasle them out. why are you changing them?
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    . why are you changing them?
    bushing and tierod ends were wore out so I'm replacing them. the rear springs were sagging almost 2"s. and I wanted a better feel to the ride

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

I hear ya Mark. My rear is sagging baadd! Looks like I'm slammed in the rear but the front is all hoisted up.

I won't get to it til August though. I ordered Whiteline Components that are coming from down unda! Going to take a little over a month to get all the parts. Also the ES subframe bushings are on backorder til July too. Doing a bit of mix and match but going with the Pedders Drag Springs in da rear and the 3/8" drop for the front for a more aggresive stance.

Sick of reading these suspension threads! I think that is the biggest downfall for our vehicle and can't wait to fix mine! Going to be a grreeaat day when she rides like she is supposed too!!

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 6.0LiterImportEater View Post
    I hear ya Mark. My rear is sagging baadd! Looks like I'm slammed in the rear but the front is all hoisted up.

I won't get to it til August though. I ordered Whiteline Components that are coming from down unda! Going to take a little over a month to get all the parts. Also the ES subframe bushings are on backorder til July too. Doing a bit of mix and match but going with the Pedders Drag Springs in da rear and the 3/8" drop for the front for a more aggresive stance.

Sick of reading these suspension threads! I think that is the biggest downfall for our vehicle and can't wait to fix mine! Going to be a grreeaat day when she rides like she is supposed too!!
    I ordered Energy Suspension poly bushings for all the rear and front control arms through Autozone shipped for $161 to my door, took 6 days from the time I placed my order.
    Eibach 1.2" drop springs from Summit $230 2days shipped
    Pedders poly radius rod bushings and tie rod ends from My1stGTO $310 4 days shipping

hugger orange

I would guess once you have the rear lifted and the suspension fully extended you just need to compress the springs to remove/install them. Same on the front to remove them from the strut. Just grab a spring compressor and you will be good. Be careful though don't want those springs shooting towards ya!
    lol I've had springs shoot pass my head before... that's no good.
    I have the compresser for struts and the rear slid right out without compressing......this weekend I'm finishing the rear suspension bushings so if you need a hand with yours just let me know

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Yea I ordered a bunch from Whiteline (competitor to Pedders):
    Front/Rear Radius Rod Bushings
    Front Strut Bushing w/ Bearings
    Front/Rear Endlink Bushings
    Rear Shock Absorber Bushings

They offer Poly Motor Mounts but holding off on them.

I'm also getting the ES subframe bushing kit and SLP sway bar bushings.

All that w/ Pedder Springs, Konis in the rear, and Monroes in the front will complete the suspension.......oh and a Harrops Cover!

Not sure about the control arm bushings. I'm going to see how this build goes and if I think they are neccesary I will replace later.....they are cheap compared to the others so no big deal.

I'll let ya know about the build. Its always good to have an extra hand. Thanks man!

hugger orange

Yea I ordered a bunch from Whiteline (competitor to Pedders):
    Front/Rear Radius Rod Bushings
    Front Strut Bushing w/ Bearings
    Front/Rear Endlink Bushings
    Rear Shock Absorber Bushings

They offer Poly Motor Mounts but holding off on them.

I'm also getting the ES subframe bushing kit and SLP sway bar bushings.

All that w/ Pedder Springs, Konis in the rear, and Monroes in the front will complete the suspension.......oh and a Harrops Cover!

Not sure about the control arm bushings. I'm going to see how this build goes and if I think they are neccesary I will replace later.....they are cheap compared to the others so no big deal.

I'll let ya know about the build. Its always good to have an extra hand. Thanks man!
    I've got Monroes in the front and rear. lol my wallet isnt deep enough for Konis right now

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I assume you used Sensa-Tracs Mark? I have used them in the past and they are really good. I will use them in my GTO when the OEMs go. I'll prob hit up eBay for a set of OE springs when mine go as well.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

I will make my wallet deep enough for the Koni's since Sarge credits them alot for reducing wheel hop.

I hate when my ass skips on the seat!!!!!!!

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I will make my wallet deep enough for the Koni's since Sarge credits them alot for reducing wheel hop.

Mine hasn't done that...yet.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I assume you used Sensa-Tracs Mark? I have used them in the past and they are really good. I will use them in my GTO when the OEMs go. I'll prob hit up eBay for a set of OE springs when mine go as well.
    I love the Eibach springs, they progressive rate.....give firm sport very well planted ride but not harsh.

hugger orange

they are on my wish list for alittle later down the road

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

I love the Eibach springs, they progressive rate.....give firm sport very well planted ride but not harsh.
    I would go with the Eibach springs if they didn't lower it in the rear. I already need to roll my fenders with my 18x8.5 rims so lowering it would cause problems. I also want my rear to stand tall and the nose to be down....just mean looking haha.

hugger orange

I would go with the Eibach springs if they didn't lower it in the rear. I already need to roll my fenders with my 18x8.5 rims so lowering it would cause problems. I also want my rear to stand tall and the nose to be down....just mean looking haha.
    just do what I did......cut your fenders and quarters into about ten piece each and build a widebody lol I could fit a 14" rim/tire combo under the rear now

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I had them on my last car. On a windy day with the factory springs, my car would wander all over the place. Once I installed the Eibachs, car rode a straight line.

Thread Information