black
    2006 GTO

Thumbs up Question on Goat '06

Alright , I have a 2006 GTO, Automatic, and right now it's bone stock (except for these like "glass-pack" mufflers, but, still, that's bone stock), so I was wondering, is there any possible way one could LOSE hp or torque by putting on only the following with no other mods to go along with it: the K & N CAI system ? And would such a system void one's warr'y ? Probably that second question sounds dumb to you, but, it's something that's a bit of an issue for me, so, just wondering. Oh, also, does anybody here know basically what the actual (realistic) figures are for this car (again stock, and automatic) for 0 to 60 and quarter mile time ?? I"ve heard for 0 to 60 anything ranging from as low as high 4's to 5 flat or so. Sounds realistic, considering that the previous one, the 2004 with the LS1, supposedly had a 0 - 60 time of like 5.3 or 5.4 (so I've been reading on the 'Net at least)..... Thanks for any input...........

Black
    2005 GTO

Welcome!! . I would be very suprised if you lost power after a cai. However the gain of the cai by itself may not be 'felt'. This also cannot void your warranty. I have worked at Gm dealerships for the past 12 years, a lot of the old timer techs and service managers freek out whenever something is modded, however you are protected by the Magneson Moss act. However, and this is a big BUT, any damage to a factory component or system or circuit that is caused by an aftermarket product is not covered. They, Gm or your dlr cannot 'void' your warranty. installing a CAI has nothing to do with a bad power window motor for example. sorry 'bout that, i kindda went off a little. any way GM says 4.6 seconds 0-60 for the A4, 4.7 for M6, either way its about a half second to 5 flat. good luck with your car, and have fun.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Well I've seen people get hassled at the dealership over K&N's cold air depending on the service manager............. They said he caused damage by running a "wet" oil type filter........... But if your trying to make a Major warr. claim I would switch out the boxes any way....... The 05/06's here in the heat usually run high 13's.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Brazen Orange
    2006 GTO

Welcome

Hey, my name is Titus too...first or last?

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Well I've seen people get hassled at the dealership over K&N's cold air depending on the service manager............. They said he caused damage by running a "wet" oil type filter........... But if your trying to make a Major warr. claim I would switch out the boxes any way....... The 05/06's here in the heat usually run high 13's.
    And they will if over oiled, they'll coat the maf and skew readings, but again
    the warranty can't be voided, they may not cover the damage to the maf or other
    system. If you or someone you know is getting hasseled, it's time to find a dlr that wants your buisness. you work hard for your money and shouldn't have to put up with crap like that. There are enough dealers (around here anyway) that you have a choice where to go. IMO of course. Your dollar should be just as important as the next guys.

BOSSONNOS

Turismo Blue
    2005 Holden 502rwhp

How much oil are you putting on you air filters, a pre oiled K&n filter will not oil up your maf, never had it happen and K&N is all I use. If a dealer has a go because of an air filter change, tell him what's up and go somewhere else.

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by BOSSONNOS View Post
    How much oil are you putting on you air filters, a pre oiled K&n filter will not oil up your maf, never had it happen and K&N is all I use. If a dealer has a go because of an air filter change, tell him what's up and go somewhere else.
    I have never over oiled my filter. I am saying what I have seen at the dlr, some poeple will over oil the filter and start the car right away, and that will coat
    the heated element inside the maf.

black
    2006 GTO

Thanks for all the input guys. I will bear that in mind if I do indeed decide to buy a K&N (or Volant; I hear those are good too) CAI system. Oh, and to the gentleman who asked if my name is Titus, no it actually is not, neither first nor last. I'm a student of ancient history, and I happen to have a reproduction bust of a Roman general (who later became Emperor) Titus. That is where I got that username from. Thanks again.

Thread Information