Black
    2004 GTO

Question Problem With STEERING WHEEL

Just wondeing if this is normal!! When I Floor it for a dead stop, The steering wheel tightens up, or like locks up and gets HARD..even if im turning and floor it, the steering just locks up and it gets very hard to turn..Only happens when i FLOOR it, and only happens like 0-30 i would say??ANY INFO ON THIS??

98 Formula
    06 duramax

do you have headers? I've heard of this happening to people after header installs. The engine torques over and lets the headers hit the steering shaft. There's a clip around that knuckle on the steering shaft that people sometimes remove to help with this problem. I would probably try to move the rack and get as much space as possible and then get an alignment done.

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    do you have headers? I've heard of this happening to people after header installs. The engine torques over and lets the headers hit the steering shaft. There's a clip around that knuckle on the steering shaft that people sometimes remove to help with this problem. I would probably try to move the rack and get as much space as possible and then get an alignment done.
    yea, i actually noticed it after i got my LT headers!!would it cause any problems if left alone..

Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

Quote Originally Posted by pmolina0436 View Post
    yea, i actually noticed it after i got my LT headers!!would it cause any problems if left alone..

You could die! If you needed to make an abrubt steering movement to avoid a collision and it "locks up" how handy is that, get it looked at! I'm sure in any case it will be cheaper than your life.

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 05gtoautoX View Post
    You could die! If you needed to make an abrubt steering movement to avoid a collision and it "locks up" how handy is that, get it looked at! I'm sure in any case it will be cheaper than your life.
    ok!!it only locks up when i put the pedal the the medal!!and only like form 0- 30...anything

98 Formula
    06 duramax

get it fixed.... It's not a hard fix by any means. You can either loosen the 2 bolts holding the rack and shift the rack over to give you more clearance and then have an alignment done or pull that clip off that's on the steering shaft. Did you do the header install or did someone else do it?

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    get it fixed.... It's not a hard fix by any means. You can either loosen the 2 bolts holding the rack and shift the rack over to give you more clearance and then have an alignment done or pull that clip off that's on the steering shaft. Did you do the header install or did someone else do it?
    ^^^^Will do^^^ill get it looked at for sure...i Actually got it done at a shop...should they have done this...im still going to look at it ASAP thanks

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by pmolina0436 View Post
    ^^^^Will do^^^ill get it looked at for sure...i Actually got it done at a shop...should they have done this...im still going to look at it ASAP thanks
    easy fix for you then. Take it back to the shop and tell them that when the engine torques over a primary is hitting the steering shaft knuckle. They should be able to see scratches on the primary where it's hitting. Just ask them to move the rack over a little bit and then take it somewhere and get a good alignment done. There's not much play in that rack but hopefully they'll be able to give you a little more clearance. As a last resort they could take that clip off as others have done that.

Thread Information