Results 1 to 8 of 8

Problem With STEERING WHEEL

This is a discussion on Problem With STEERING WHEEL within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Just wondeing if this is normal!! When I Floor it for a dead stop, The steering wheel tightens up, or ...

  1. #1
    Member pmolina0436's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    528

    Black
    2004 GTO

    Question Problem With STEERING WHEEL

    Just wondeing if this is normal!! When I Floor it for a dead stop, The steering wheel tightens up, or like locks up and gets HARD..even if im turning and floor it, the steering just locks up and it gets very hard to turn..Only happens when i FLOOR it, and only happens like 0-30 i would say??ANY INFO ON THIS??

  2. #2
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    do you have headers? I've heard of this happening to people after header installs. The engine torques over and lets the headers hit the steering shaft. There's a clip around that knuckle on the steering shaft that people sometimes remove to help with this problem. I would probably try to move the rack and get as much space as possible and then get an alignment done.

  3. #3
    Member pmolina0436's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    528

    Black
    2004 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    do you have headers? I've heard of this happening to people after header installs. The engine torques over and lets the headers hit the steering shaft. There's a clip around that knuckle on the steering shaft that people sometimes remove to help with this problem. I would probably try to move the rack and get as much space as possible and then get an alignment done.
    yea, i actually noticed it after i got my LT headers!!would it cause any problems if left alone..

  4. #4
    Member 05gtoautoX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    riverton
    Posts
    556

    Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

    Quote Originally Posted by pmolina0436 View Post
    yea, i actually noticed it after i got my LT headers!!would it cause any problems if left alone..

    You could die! If you needed to make an abrubt steering movement to avoid a collision and it "locks up" how handy is that, get it looked at! I'm sure in any case it will be cheaper than your life.

  5. #5
    Member pmolina0436's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    528

    Black
    2004 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by 05gtoautoX View Post
    You could die! If you needed to make an abrubt steering movement to avoid a collision and it "locks up" how handy is that, get it looked at! I'm sure in any case it will be cheaper than your life.
    ok!!it only locks up when i put the pedal the the medal!!and only like form 0- 30...anything

  6. #6
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    get it fixed.... It's not a hard fix by any means. You can either loosen the 2 bolts holding the rack and shift the rack over to give you more clearance and then have an alignment done or pull that clip off that's on the steering shaft. Did you do the header install or did someone else do it?

  7. #7
    Member pmolina0436's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    528

    Black
    2004 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    get it fixed.... It's not a hard fix by any means. You can either loosen the 2 bolts holding the rack and shift the rack over to give you more clearance and then have an alignment done or pull that clip off that's on the steering shaft. Did you do the header install or did someone else do it?
    ^^^^Will do^^^ill get it looked at for sure...i Actually got it done at a shop...should they have done this...im still going to look at it ASAP thanks

  8. #8
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by pmolina0436 View Post
    ^^^^Will do^^^ill get it looked at for sure...i Actually got it done at a shop...should they have done this...im still going to look at it ASAP thanks
    easy fix for you then. Take it back to the shop and tell them that when the engine torques over a primary is hitting the steering shaft knuckle. They should be able to see scratches on the primary where it's hitting. Just ask them to move the rack over a little bit and then take it somewhere and get a good alignment done. There's not much play in that rack but hopefully they'll be able to give you a little more clearance. As a last resort they could take that clip off as others have done that.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted: Steering Wheel
    By MrMasterCraft in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-13-2010, 02:58 AM
  2. Steering wheel
    By Corpsman in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-13-2009, 05:40 AM
  3. WTB Steering Wheel
    By enjun in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-05-2007, 03:56 PM
  4. steering wheel pop
    By derck_mullin in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-02-2007, 12:31 PM
  5. Power steering wheel problem!
    By Musclefan21 in forum General Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-21-2006, 06:02 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •