Silver
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Problem with steering arm hitting my headers

I know there is a thread on this already, if i remember right just can't find it. My prob is when i get on it my steering locks up when im turning and i was wondering if i need to contact pasesetter about this or is there a way to fix it yourself? 2004 Gto

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

maybe stiffer motor mounts will help. it couldn't hurt any.

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by stephen02ws6 View Post
    maybe stiffer motor mounts will help. it couldn't hurt any.
    ^^ what i was thinkin'. i'd still contact pacesetter and give 'em a hard time see what they say. they shouldn't be sellin bolt-on parts that lock up steering components on a car that has no chassis mods.

only other thing i could say that would give you safe clearance would be to bust out the oxygen/acetylene torch and bend tubes yourself. this would be extensive work considering you already have a fitted y-pipe.
    Last edited by side2000; 01-13-2009 at 06:19 PM.

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Quick_burk_GTO View Post
    I know there is a thread on this already, if i remember right just can't find it. My prob is when i get on it my steering locks up when im turning and i was wondering if i need to contact pasesetter about this or is there a way to fix it yourself? 2004 Gto
    NO!! It has nothing to do with the headers..What you need to do is go back to the shop you had them installed in and ask them to move the steering column a little away from the headers...thats what happen to mine and i asked them to move it a couple of inches (i thing only like a inch and a half) and havent had any problems since..

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Quick_burk_GTO View Post
    if you have pacesetter 1 st series header they will hit drivers side boot bad pass alil,wraped mine with heat sheilds,contact pacesetter they will take care of you,the second series takes care of the issues,still sucks having to replace the boots on steering rack.i went to parts store got replacements and put em on.Opps its a late,didnt read it all right,,lol.. the steering locks up maybe the bolts in wrong cant see that but I would get that fixed right away,cant steer not good!
    Last edited by qwkgto; 01-13-2009 at 08:38 PM. Reason: added info
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Barbados Blue
    2004 GTO

Ok, I have discussed this with Mr Kook (Sr) of KooKs Headers. He has seen 1/2 of variance of where the engine sits in relationship to the body. I have installed about a dozen sets of these headers and seen all kinds of clearance issues. Here are your options:

1. Unbolt the steering rack.
    with the car on jackstands and the front wheels hanging, loosen the bolts (18mm bolt on bottom and 19mm nut on top) and pry the rack towards the drivers side, and tighten. This will require an alignment to straighten your wheel when done. This hurts nothing just requires the outer tierod adjustment to center the wheel, a normal alignment adjustment.

2. Grind the nut and bolt.
    There is a nut and bolt that holds the steering column together. !3mm wrench for the nut, bolt is held by the locking mechanism.

3. Poly engine mounts.
    This will hold your engine in place but unless you are into it, this will result in increased vibration in the cabin.

4. Drive like Grandma.
    Enough said.

So the real way to do this is move the rack. It will take longer to jack up the car than to move the rack. Your installer should have discussed this with you. I tell all the guys I install headers on they may or may not need a tune because the car might throw MAF and O2 sensor codes and they will need an alignment.

Jerry
    Last edited by bronko91; 01-14-2009 at 05:24 AM.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

there not that much adjust on that rack bolt,i would say ditch the jank ass pacesetters,i have installed 10 sets of stainless works and naver had a issue,you get what you pay for,those pacesetters were a bad design,thats the only reason they hit.

Barbados Blue
    2004 GTO

I have installed all brands, just on GTOs. I work on nothing else. You are right, there is not much movement, but not much movement is needed.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    there not that much adjust on that rack bolt,i would say ditch the jank ass pacesetters,i have installed 10 sets of stainless works and naver had a issue,you get what you pay for,those pacesetters were a bad design,thats the only reason they hit.

the ones we put on my brothers car were fine. They went in fairly easy and he hasn't had a single issue out of them. I've also read where people take that clip off the steering shaft to give it a little more clearance but the proper way would be to move the rack.

red
    2000 camaro ss

orion, you need some more posts before you have any credibility.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    orion, you need some more posts before you have any credibility.
    I'm new
    I have way more experience with the f-bodies than the gto. Some things carry over and some things don't. I just know that I've read quite a bit about this issue. My brother fortunately didn't have this problem when we did his pacesetters.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the ones we put on my brothers car were fine. They went in fairly easy and he hasn't had a single issue out of them. I've also read where people take that clip off the steering shaft to give it a little more clearance but the proper way would be to move the rack.
    well i know i was there,lol those were the series 2 thats why,the first series were not good they hit...the boots on the rack ,i had them on my car when i went 10.9s,not knocking them other then they had some setup problems at first,then again you get what you pay for,i also must add they at least made shit for our cars so thats a plus and they did send me a new set after i told them what happened to my boots.in my opinion stainless is the only way to go spend another few hundred buck do it once do it right,stainless will not rust,mild steel,coated headers always do,nothing too good for my bitch,i drive her hard!and she likes it..lol opps thats another bitch,then again they are kinda all the same treat em right they respond...my grillie freind always tells me she would get more attention,from me.. ifin shed put two shinnie turbos on her azz..lmao women ..

cgm
    gto

I have heard of cutting the shaft bolt down to cure this? I have read many threads on this in other forums. Dont start cutting right away but this is what I have heard

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by urnmygto8 View Post
    I have heard of cutting the shaft bolt down to cure this? I have read many threads on this in other forums. Dont start cutting right away but this is what I have heard
    I would not do that,has to be a better way,try the rack bolts first then id say look elsewheres,not good to cut things that hold together steering aperatises...

Thread Information