Pedderizing on a Budget

This is a discussion on Pedderizing on a Budget within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Ok I would like to pedderize my car, but doing so on a lean budget. What pieces do you guys ...

Ripshifting

Black
    2004 GTO

Pedderizing on a Budget

Ok I would like to pedderize my car, but doing so on a lean budget. What pieces do you guys consider a complete necessity beginning with the cheapest on up to the most expensive?

-

Quote Originally Posted by TyeMug View Post
    Ok I would like to pedderize my car, but doing so on a lean budget. What pieces do you guys consider a complete necessity beginning with the cheapest on up to the most expensive?
    What do you want to do to the suspension? There a lot of options.

Do you have strut rub? Inside of the tire is rubbing on the strut.

Are the springs collapsed? Check your ride height. Measure the ride height from the bottom lip of the rim to the lip of the painted fender. It should be 604mm on a OE 17" wheel, 617mm on and 18". (mm = inches x 25.4).

Is anything damaged that we need to consider first? Check for oil on the struts (leaking srut). Do a 5 MPH brake check to check the radius rods. Have someone drive the car @ 5 mph and stomp on the brakes and hold them in front of you. Wait a second then release the brakes. If the wheel "pops" or "springs" forward, then the radius rod bushes are shot and need to be replaced.

Post back on the strut rub & condition, ride height & radius rod (brake check) test. As far as the bare necessities? Get the car safe first and go from there.

Cheers,
    Dan
    Pedders USA

Impulse Blue Met.
    2005 GTO

Certainly, if you're on a budget you can break out the suspension project into phases. I did mine in two phases starting with the Street I setup and then later going up to the Street II. The only exception is that I went with Hotchkis F-R swaybars because Pedders didn't have anything available at the time.

The street I setup will give you a good base to start thinking about your next step. Do you want a setup mostly for the street, the track or a road course?

I am very happy with my setup and think that it is money well spent if you plan on keeping the car for a while.

Regards..

-

Breaking it down in stages can be done easily. You need a plan on what to do when so you're only taking things apart one time. The radius rods bushes (EP9166) can be done any time. Strut mounts and bearings can be done alone or when replacing the struts. The differential insert (EP1145) and the x member bushes ( EP1157) should be done at the same time so you only drop the rear cradle one time.

Rear springs and the Rear shocks can be separately at any time.

I'd suggest doing the front struts and springs at the same time and add the mounts (5851) and bearings (5030) while it's apart. No extra time involved, because they're already apart.

Cheers,
    Dan

Ripshifting

Black
    2004 GTO

PartsGedder, thanks for your advice. I have a nice set of parts picked out I'm about to order. Your time and advice, as well as other members of this site whom contribute time and knowledge make it so worthwhile. Thanks again, not going to get this from the local mom and pops repair shop.

-

Quote Originally Posted by TyeMug View Post
    PartsGedder, thanks for your advice. I have a nice set of parts picked out I'm about to order. Your time and advice, as well as other members of this site whom contribute time and knowledge make it so worthwhile. Thanks again, not going to get this from the local mom and pops repair shop.
    You're welcome. Let us know if you have any questions on the install.

Dan

Thread Information