Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 370

PCV/Catch Can/Crank Pressure

This is a discussion on PCV/Catch Can/Crank Pressure within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 0rion you can make do with an inline water filter for air compressors. Not the optimum set ...

  1. #61
    Senior Member qwkgto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    OHIO"S only 9 second GTO
    Posts
    1,464

    Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you can make do with an inline water filter for air compressors. Not the optimum set up but it'll work.
    yep thats the same thing I did,ran it down under the battery tray could not see it,worked great only cost me $20bucks
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

  2. #62
    TJEA Retirement Home Dr.Crash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    U. S And A Greatest country in all of world
    Posts
    3,383

    Stock
    2002 Camaro

    this is a great write up!

  3. #63
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Information sharing is why we are all here. Well....that and the titties.

  4. #64
    Senior Member qwkgto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    OHIO"S only 9 second GTO
    Posts
    1,464

    Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    yep thats the same thing I did,ran it down under the battery tray could not see it,worked great only cost me $20bucks
    maybe I should post up my old setup bascially oil seperator from lowes/parts store one they use on air compressors,and two barbed fittings 3/8 pipe on one end to screw into filter,and a few feet of 3/8 rubber line.simple and sweet works just as well at that $100 shiny ones.

  5. #65
    TJEA Retirement Home Dr.Crash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    U. S And A Greatest country in all of world
    Posts
    3,383

    Stock
    2002 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Information sharing is why we are all here. Well....that and the titties.
    how could i forget!!!!

  6. #66
    Member fxgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Camp Hill, Pa
    Posts
    719

    Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Information sharing is why we are all here. Well....that and the titties.
    Quick question Sarge, regarding the brake vacuum canister, is there a particular reason you ran the vacuum canister as far from the brake booster as you did?

  7. #67
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    No place too put it any closer. Under/over/sides////

  8. #68
    Member fxgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Camp Hill, Pa
    Posts
    719

    Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

    Sarge, any comment on this, regarding breathers when deleting pcv.
    This was a statement posted from another section:

    "the reason breathers arent the best or looked favorably with the ls1s is that it introduces unmetered air into the system."

    (P.S. Here's some titties for you..................)

  9. #69
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Appreciate the tits for sure.
    Yeah I hear that crap all the time. Un-metered air.....we'll lets see here.....
    Piston goes up and compresses air/fuel....it goes kaboom.....and out the exhaust...right? Well sorta....not all of it does.....you get some blow by passed into your crank (yes you do)....then the piston goes down and forces pressure into your crankcase.....now the GM smart boys said hey let's recirculate that back into the intake...we be smart as hell! So they rigged a hose from the valley to the intake tract.....and this is metered how? If your argument is the MAF I aint gonna buy that as the MAF reads not only air flow but air pressure and is calibrated for the PCV....if it is there or not.....
    Few issues with the stock setup.....Firstly we all know about oil mist/condensation being sucked back into your intake.....Secondly the pressure in the crank does not allow your rings to seal as good as with the pressure removed (vented)......and you do get resistance to the piston on the down stroke....so we put breathers on to vent the pressure and route the valley tube through a filter and then back to the throttle body.....
    I think some of the "un-metered air" folks also sometimes are talking about when you decelerate you do suck some air back into the crank via the filtered vent....OK....little silicon may show up in your UOA.....never been a issue and I submit it is less than a K&N filter anyway.......
    So after a kabillion tuning sessions with a gazillion LSX motors running MAFS...I have yet to see a negative from a vent/catch can/
    I have only seen positives.

  10. #70
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by fxgs View Post
    Sarge, any comment on this, regarding breathers when deleting pcv.
    This was a statement posted from another section:

    "the reason breathers arent the best or looked favorably with the ls1s is that it introduces unmetered air into the system."

    (P.S. Here's some titties for you..................)

  11. #71
    Member fxgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Camp Hill, Pa
    Posts
    719

    Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Yeah I hear that crap all the time. Un-metered air......................after a kabillion tuning sessions with a gazillion LSX motors running MAFS................I have yet to see a negative from a vent/catch can/I have only seen positives.
    One last question, if I may, regarding the brake vacuum canister set-up....
    one hose runs from the booster to the canister, where are you running the other one from?

  12. #72
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Back side of the passenger head.....

  13. #73
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Appreciate the tits for sure.
    Yeah I hear that crap all the time. Un-metered air.....we'll lets see here.....
    Piston goes up and compresses air/fuel....it goes kaboom.....and out the exhaust...right? Well sorta....not all of it does.....you get some blow by passed into your crank (yes you do)....then the piston goes down and forces pressure into your crankcase.....now the GM smart boys said hey let's recirculate that back into the intake...we be smart as hell! So they rigged a hose from the valley to the intake tract.....and this is metered how? If your argument is the MAF I aint gonna buy that as the MAF reads not only air flow but air pressure and is calibrated for the PCV....if it is there or not.....
    Few issues with the stock setup.....Firstly we all know about oil mist/condensation being sucked back into your intake.....Secondly the pressure in the crank does not allow your rings to seal as good as with the pressure removed (vented)......and you do get resistance to the piston on the down stroke....so we put breathers on to vent the pressure and route the valley tube through a filter and then back to the throttle body.....
    I think some of the "un-metered air" folks also sometimes are talking about when you decelerate you do suck some air back into the crank via the filtered vent....OK....little silicon may show up in your UOA.....never been a issue and I submit it is less than a K&N filter anyway.......
    So after a kabillion tuning sessions with a gazillion LSX motors running MAFS...I have yet to see a negative from a vent/catch can/
    I have only seen positives.
    that is all gravy ..i have no problem with catch cans..good catch cans like revextremes and Saikou Michi's ...that actually filter the air are great..i just have a problem with breathers since the pcv system is closed and has a vacuum..anything opening up that syytem will cause a moderate vacuum leak...(the reason why no one ever can tell the difference is because the pcm can adjust the a/f to compensate ..so most will never be able to tell the difference...where the problem lies is that the cushion for other vacuum leaks or any other abnormal event where fuel needs to be added is severally limited..with those kabillion tunning sessions i am sure you have seen the a/f ratio shoot around when a breather was installed ..and then uninstalled ...of course a pcm can be tuned for the breather and you might never be able to tell...but the pcv system will be open and suffer in efficiency..and as you know without that vacuum those harmful gasses will be hard on the oil leading them to be changed more often..not quite a problem since most change in 3k....i have been playing around with my pcv and reading up on the pcv system for the past month seeing what my options are for changing. ...the air is metered ..if it wasn't then why would any pcv leak cause the a/f to jump and the car to idle higher/act funny

  14. #74
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Shady!!!! Think about what you just said.
    You are saying the PCV system is sealed vacuum?
    Come on man!!!!!!

  15. #75
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Shady!!!! Think about what you just said.
    You are saying the PCV system is sealed vacuum?
    Come on man!!!!!!
    i thought i said its a closed system ?

  16. #76
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    i am sorry the pcv doesnt create its own vacuum its engine vacuum ..sorry if i posted otherwise since i did not mean too

  17. #77
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    hmm well lets simplify this...for best operation if your going to slap a breather on you better get it tuned..and secondly you shouldnt need a breather with a good/properly set up catch can.

  18. #78
    Member 6.0LiterImportEater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    187

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

    I see that the breather that is mentioned is for LS1/LS6 applications. I have an LS2, will this work? If not does anybody know where I can find one for a LS2? Thanks!

  19. #79
    Member 6.0LiterImportEater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    187

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

    Oh yea regarding what Shady has posted.......

    Manifold vacuum, or engine vacuum in an internal combustion engine is the difference in air pressure between the engine's intake manifold and Earth's atmosphere.

    Manifold vacuum is an effect of choked flow through a throttle in the intake manifold of an engine. It is a measure of the amount of restriction of airflow through the engine, and hence of the unused power capacity in the engine.

    *Cough, Cough* Vacuum sucks! Only time I care about vacuum is when your brakes work off of it!!! Your A/F ratio does jump up by why need the tune? You eliminated restriction or choked flow thus more air into your engine which also needs more GAS! A/F should go up! Thanks to smart ECM's you don't need a tune!! It's such a small modification that your ECM should be able to correct itself no problem. Now once you starting adding more modifications (i.e. headers, exhaust, pulleys, intake manifold, heads, CAI, etc...) then a tune is probaly required.

    Don't pay for tuning either! A Dyno does not mimic "true" factors (rolling forces, drag, etc...). If you have a tuner (i.e. Diablo Sport) just rip it at a track (best case scenario) or a good open road and make your adjustments after each run! Cheap, easy, and better results! NHRA teams tune on the track and not in a shop!

    ^Best for N/A applications. If you are boosted and just finished your install then a Dyno is probaly the best thing unless you know what your doing! Unless you get a base map from the manufacturer !
    Last edited by 6.0LiterImportEater; 03-18-2009 at 11:52 AM.

  20. #80
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by 6.0LiterImportEater View Post
    Oh yea regarding what Shady has posted.......

    Manifold vacuum, or engine vacuum in an internal combustion engine is the difference in air pressure between the engine's intake manifold and Earth's atmosphere.

    Manifold vacuum is an effect of choked flow through a throttle in the intake manifold of an engine. It is a measure of the amount of restriction of airflow through the engine, and hence of the unused power capacity in the engine.

    *Cough, Cough* Vacuum sucks! Only time I care about vacuum is when your brakes work off of it!!! Your A/F ratio does jump up by why need the tune? You eliminated restriction or choked flow thus more air into your engine which also needs more GAS! A/F should go up! Thanks to smart ECM's you don't need a tune!! It's such a small modification that your ECM should be able to correct itself no problem. Now once you starting adding more modifications (i.e. headers, exhaust, pulleys, intake manifold, heads, CAI, etc...) then a tune is probaly required.

    Don't pay for tuning either! A Dyno does not mimic "true" factors (rolling forces, drag, etc...). If you have a tuner (i.e. Diablo Sport) just rip it at a track (best case scenario) or a good open road and make your adjustments after each run! Cheap, easy, and better results! NHRA teams tune on the track and not in a shop!

    ^Best for N/A applications. If you are boosted and just finished your install then a Dyno is probaly the best thing unless you know what your doing! Unless you get a base map from the manufacturer !

    i never said the pcm couldnt adjust and handle it..but then you loose some of the pcm's ability to adjust for other abnormal events..its better to be safe then sorry..a properly functioning pcv system with a FUNCTIONAL(key there) catch can will eliminate any oil/gases getting recirculated..and relieve excess pressure

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 02-13-2017, 02:04 PM
  2. 10-07-2016, 03:32 PM
  3. 04-26-2016, 05:35 AM
  4. 03-02-2015, 10:11 PM
  5. 06-14-2014, 07:04 PM
  6. 03-24-2014, 10:00 PM
  7. 01-09-2014, 08:18 PM
  8. 11-21-2013, 09:35 AM
  9. 08-13-2013, 05:55 PM
  10. 08-13-2013, 12:37 PM
  11. 10-22-2012, 12:55 AM
  12. 03-22-2012, 11:47 AM
  13. 11-10-2011, 06:49 PM
  14. 10-17-2011, 02:29 PM
  15. 10-17-2011, 10:33 AM
  16. 10-03-2011, 06:14 AM
  17. 09-05-2011, 01:58 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. PCV Catch Can
    By Orcus79 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-24-2013, 02:17 PM
  2. C6 Corvette Catch Can - Catch Me If You Can
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Corvette
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-29-2009, 03:00 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-01-2006, 04:59 PM
  4. Looking for gauges! nitrous pressure, fuel pressure!
    By texasss in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2005, 10:05 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •