Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819 LastLast

PCV/Catch Can/Crank Pressure

This is a discussion on PCV/Catch Can/Crank Pressure within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; thanks sarge, I have one question for you though. I won't have a breather in place of the oil fill ...

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

thanks sarge, I have one question for you though. I won't have a breather in place of the oil fill cap, do you still think I'll get enough ventilation with my expected hp?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvers View Post
    thanks sarge, I have one question for you though. I won't have a breather in place of the oil fill cap, do you still think I'll get enough ventilation with my expected hp?
    You should be OK. If you blow your dipstick out you'll know to add a breather But seriously you should be OK.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    You should be OK. If you blow your dipstick out you'll know to add a breather But seriously you should be OK.
    alright thanks Sarge.

Red
    98 Trans Am

ANybody got a diagram of a PCV set up with a catch can for turbo setups? Need alittle help visualizing it

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Red
    98 Trans Am

LOL thanks Sarge, thats awsome! THats by far the best diagram for a PCV ive seen so far Seriously though, thanks. THat helped alot. Now to get the pieces to it. Got the catch can, now jus tneed a few other items, like the check valves. I thought the oil return didnt actually run throught the catch can? is this a turbo thing? I take it the throttle body gets caps?
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 01-20-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well I cannot take credit for drawing it up. I saved it quite awhile back....as I get drug into these things out in the shop.......I do not remember where I got it from frankly....but glad it helped you as it did me.

Black
    2004 GTO A4

Update on my catch-can set-up. I seem to be collecting a TON of oil in my catch can. I am also blowing a ton of oil out of my valve cover breather that I installed. I am loosing about 1 qt. every 3K miles. As a counter measure, I have removed the valve cover breather and re-installed the factory 'cap'. Anyone have a clue what is going on here? WTF?

Sarge - You are my only hope!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Your crank is not vented. Is your catch can vented to the atmosphere?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Help me here....what power adders etc. What is the motor? Do you have your valley tray vent reversed into your catch can?

Black
    2004 GTO A4

Help me here....what power adders etc. What is the motor? Do you have your valley tray vent reversed into your catch can?
    I have bolt-ons only Sarge (CIA and Cat-back) - stock 5.7L LS1. I do not think I have my valley tray vent reversed into my catch can, but I will check. I get a fair amount of oil in my catch can, so it is working.

My catch can is the home depot (Husky) air/water seperator made for an air compressor.

Please remind me what the correct way to hook-up the valley tray vent to the catch can?
    Last edited by surfinjoe; 02-01-2011 at 06:13 AM.

Black
    2004 GTO A4

Your crank is not vented. Is your catch can vented to the atmosphere?
    My catch can is not vented to the atmosphere. It is pluged into the throttle body vac port!
    Last edited by surfinjoe; 02-01-2011 at 06:22 AM.

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by surfinjoe View Post
    I have bolt-ons only Sarge (CIA and Cat-back) - stock 5.7L LS1. I do not think I have my valley tray vent reversed into my catch can, but I will check. I get a fair amount of oil in my catch can, so it is working.

My catch can is the home depot (Husky) air/water seperator made for an air compressor.

Please remind me what the correct way to hook-up the valley tray vent to the catch can?
    Joe, That does not make a very good catch can. The good ones or a good home made one has the valley tray vent comming in the bottom side of the can, the can has a plate with filter material in the middle to keep oil from comming into the top half and that is where the clean line goes back into your intake. You should have a value in the botton to drain the can. Hope this helps.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Get a real catch can friend. It has to filter and flow both.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Sarge I will be installing my billet valve covers and use -10an fittings and hose, I guess run a vent catch can. Which I havent found one with a dual inlet for -10 fittings yet. But will this system work good? and will I have to change the oil more often?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yes the system (when properly installed and with the proper CC) will work.
    No a catch can/vented crank has nill efffect on OCI's. As long as you get your oil up to temp to burn off the moisture/fuel from time to time your good man.

Black
    2004 GTO A4

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jack View Post
    Joe, That does not make a very good catch can. The good ones or a good home made one has the valley tray vent comming in the bottom side of the can, the can has a plate with filter material in the middle to keep oil from comming into the top half and that is where the clean line goes back into your intake. You should have a value in the botton to drain the can. Hope this helps.
    Maybe that is the issue. I will get a better catch can and see if it helps. I am getting a crap load of oil in the can, so it is working.

Yesterday I got rid of my valve cover breather. There seems to be a lot of pressure in the valve covers. I blew my dipstick out of the tube

I will remove the catch can today and see if the problem goes away. If it does, I know it's the catch can causing the issue.

Thx!

Hey sarge I am going to do what you did when the weather gets nice out but I have a quick question. It sames to me everyone is doing this to 99 and up models (catch can, and breather's). Is there anything different for a 98 ls1? Don't really feel like screwing something up and not being able to fix it. It looks simple. So I understood you, you removed the pvc system entirely and just have catch can and breathers?

Thanks

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Maybe that is the issue. I will get a better catch can and see if it helps. I am getting a crap load of oil in the can, so it is working.

Yesterday I got rid of my valve cover breather. There seems to be a lot of pressure in the valve covers. I blew my dipstick out of the tube

I will remove the catch can today and see if the problem goes away. If it does, I know it's the catch can causing the issue.

Thx!

Joe, It takes a lot of pressure to push anything through your setup, the catch can is very full flowing so you won't have the same issues with the dip stick and oil every where, if you do there is a big problem.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by GOR1LA View Post
    Hey sarge I am going to do what you did when the weather gets nice out but I have a quick question. It sames to me everyone is doing this to 99 and up models (catch can, and breather's). Is there anything different for a 98 ls1? Don't really feel like screwing something up and not being able to fix it. It looks simple. So I understood you, you removed the pvc system entirely and just have catch can and breathers?

Thanks
    Hey man.....now I'll admit to not being all that familiar with the 98 PVC. If I recall the PCV is on that tube running along the pass side correct? Are you changing your valley tray?

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 02-13-2017, 02:04 PM
  2. 10-07-2016, 03:32 PM
  3. 04-26-2016, 05:35 AM
  4. 03-02-2015, 10:11 PM
  5. 06-14-2014, 07:04 PM
  6. 03-24-2014, 10:00 PM
  7. 01-09-2014, 08:18 PM
  8. 11-21-2013, 09:35 AM
  9. 08-13-2013, 05:55 PM
  10. 08-13-2013, 12:37 PM