Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718 ... LastLast

PCV/Catch Can/Crank Pressure

This is a discussion on PCV/Catch Can/Crank Pressure within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I did mine the cheap and temporary way on my small block. Two purolater clear plastic with paper element fuel ...

Impounded
    gmcheviac

I did mine the cheap and temporary way on my small block. Two purolater clear plastic with paper element fuel filters inline. The first one fogs up with vapor everytime I run it, the casing has alot of oil caught in it for only 30 or so miles of running already. The line between the two filters, the second filter itself, and the line to the carb are all bone dry now. The truck stinks alot less and I'm guessing oil consumption will be cut way down. Though I probably still need to slap some valve seals in there. My valve covers are baffled but I guess they let alot of oil vapor by. Helluva catch can so far for maybe 7 dollars. I'll just have to keep replacing the first filter. The restrictive filters cut down on the vaccuum leak from my pcv being the wrong one, way smoother and more responsive now. Every pcv i've gotten at an auto parts store is a different letter designation and runs differently. My service and owners manuals don't recommend one either. It ran way better with a capped port on the carb and my current setup is second best.

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06 View Post
    Very nice engine you have there. This type of crank case ventilation is typical for many forced induction applications. The current PCV system looks nice, vents to atmosphere, but is not good at evacuating blow by contaminants from the crank case.

Did you reconfigure your PCV system yet? Do you have any available ports on the blower bonnet after the throttle body?
    No I don't but I'm thinking about getting bigger cans with mesh in them and porting into the bonnet aft of the TB.

Would this help with blow by issues?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Interested in doing an LS6 valley cover soon, but will a catch can still be necessary?
    I was told i wouldn't need it after the swap.

thanks

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

You do not "need" a CC. A CC is a preventative measure but not required.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    You do not "need" a CC. A CC is a preventative measure but not required.
    Gotcha, probably gonna save a little extra for the swap then
    Worry about a CC later on

thanks sarge

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Oh, and one last thing, with the LS6 PCV system, to get rid of the breather line off the throttle body, all i need is a breather for the oil cap right. Might do that as well. Wanted to know the advantages to that setup.
    thanks

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Sarge I have a question for you. I see you have what I am guessing is the LS6 valley cover in your pics. What about us LS1 guys that are not ready for the LS6 valley swap? Here is what I was thinking.

What if I wanted to redo my PCV lines by replacing the old hard plastic stuff with the rubber stuff, add a catch can and vent it at the same time. Instead of venting the passenger side with the breather on the fill cap. Bring both lines to a brass T fitting, and then run the out to a hardware store air compressor separator thingy, and then to a breather?

Just like your driver side, but bring the passenger side into the mix too. What would this do? Anything awful? This means I wouldn't have a PCV valve, and I would have to plug the port on the front of the intake area.

What do you think? I am already thinking about adding the hardware store catch can. I'm a stock LS1 and didn't think it was worth my tiny budget to pony up all that cash for an aluminum catch can. Then I started thinking why not go a little farther and throw in that cheap breather.

Am I nuts, missing the point, or just plain forest gump here?

thanks

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

any thoughts on my crazy idea? guess sarge is napping in the islands again, .

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

any takers? good idea, bad, silly enough for a laugh?

black
    1998 Formula LS1

Installing catch can set-up

I have a 98 firebird and am installing catch can. There is something bolted to the head where my catch can goes. Im thinking that its something to do with the pcv/emissions? Can anybody help?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by joshua26 View Post
    I have a 98 firebird and am installing catch can. There is something bolted to the head where my catch can goes. Im thinking that its something to do with the pcv/emissions? Can anybody help?
    That is the EGR pump. You can get rid of it but you have to block off the flange at the manifold and the hole in the intake manifold. Doing this also sets off your check engine light.

black
    1998 Formula LS1

Got the block offs...thanks
    Last edited by joshua26; 12-18-2009 at 06:59 PM.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by joshua26 View Post
    Got the block offs...thanks

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

since I see Sarge surfing other posts i thought i would bumped this one to his attention for my #267,

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by kool-aide View Post
    Sarge I have a question for you. I see you have what I am guessing is the LS6 valley cover in your pics. What about us LS1 guys that are not ready for the LS6 valley swap? Here is what I was thinking.

What if I wanted to redo my PCV lines by replacing the old hard plastic stuff with the rubber stuff, add a catch can and vent it at the same time. Instead of venting the passenger side with the breather on the fill cap. Bring both lines to a brass T fitting, and then run the out to a hardware store air compressor separator thingy, and then to a breather?

Just like your driver side, but bring the passenger side into the mix too. What would this do? Anything awful? This means I wouldn't have a PCV valve, and I would have to plug the port on the front of the intake area.

What do you think? I am already thinking about adding the hardware store catch can. I'm a stock LS1 and didn't think it was worth my tiny budget to pony up all that cash for an aluminum catch can. Then I started thinking why not go a little farther and throw in that cheap breather.

Am I nuts, missing the point, or just plain forest gump here?

thanks
    Well the idea is to allow the crank pressure to drop (drag racers use pumps) as this allows the rings to seat and less resistance on the piston down stroke.....folks introduce the catch can to filter oil mist out as it is routed back into the intake.....many vent to the atmosphere and this pisses Al Gore off something fierce....you want to accomplish a few things for your hot rod here.....
    1.Relieve crank pressure....get to your power band quicker
    2. Not throw codes
    3. Not piss off Al too much.....

your plan meets those requirements......

black
    1998 Formula LS1

Yup...out of the valley to the top of the can into the TB from the bottom.
    I have read this through and through again. I ordered everything that I needed.
    Bought sealed catch can Thunder Racing
    Oil neck breather that you suggested
    EGR block offs

I ran into a page in this write up that stated this was for GTO? I have 98 F-body LS1 and never knew there was a problem until the first cold day this year and my car wouldn't stay running. I know there has been a little confusion from which set up some have from LS1 to LS6. Looks like your running a sealed can, then toward the end of the post I seen that you recommended a vented can, so which should I be using with my setup? Sorry if you are repeating yourself. I have read and researched this for a week.
    I did exactly as you said in the quote above, caped eveything and used the breather you recommended. Does that sound right for my setup? Thanks for the writeup!

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

2. Not throw codes

What if i dont mind pissing off Al? What would be the best setup?

black
    1998 Formula LS1

I deleted PCV all together....do you have ls1 or ls6??

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    What if i dont mind pissing off Al? What would be the best setup?
    Most folks who have a "Blow Me Al" bumper sticker on.... vent the crank by replacing the oil fill cap with a filtered vent....

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Well the idea is to allow the crank pressure to drop (drag racers use pumps) as this allows the rings to seat and less resistance on the piston down stroke.....folks introduce the catch can to filter oil mist out as it is routed back into the intake.....many vent to the atmosphere and this pisses Al Gore off something fierce....you want to accomplish a few things for your hot rod here.....
    2. Not throw codes

Sarge what about that tube that runs from the front of the passenger valve cover to the top of the throttle body?

thanks for the help. I thought my idea was ok. Taking my idea into account. Vent both valve covers through a catch can then to a breather filter and not going back into the intake. Would an LS6 valley cover still provide any benefits?

I haven't done any work yet. I didn't want to tear into all that junk under the hood more than once. I just can't get my fat fingers back there without removing a few items, .

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 02-13-2017, 02:04 PM
  2. 10-07-2016, 03:32 PM
  3. 04-26-2016, 05:35 AM
  4. 03-02-2015, 10:11 PM
  5. 06-14-2014, 07:04 PM
  6. 03-24-2014, 10:00 PM
  7. 01-09-2014, 08:18 PM
  8. 11-21-2013, 09:35 AM
  9. 08-13-2013, 05:55 PM
  10. 08-13-2013, 12:37 PM