Nero
    2006 gto

Ok Im an Idiot...

So I was driving around the other night in Boston, and some JACKASS decides to merge into my lane while directly side by side with me. I beeped and swore and did everything in my power, but he just kept coming. I had NO OTHER CHOICE then to ride up onto the sidewalk, so I did. I was doing about 10-15mph though, so its not THAT bad

So I went for another drive tonight, and my wheelshake from 60-80 has become waay more pronounced. It mostly only happens during braking, and when it does, the steering wheel shimmies left to right about 5 degrees very quickly. It totally feels like a warped rotor, but Im also wondering if I could have knocked the wheel out of alignment/off balance. Money is really really tight for now, so Im wondering if anyone else has experience with this situation. The damage to the wheel (stock 17, front passenger side was only one to hit the curb) is quite minor, just a couple of scrapes along the outer edge, nothing sharp near the sidewall. There are slight gouges in the metal, but nothing big. (The word 'gouge' always makes me think of a huge slash in something) Ill post up a picture tomorrow once the sun comes back out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Many possibility's. You could have broke a belt or two in the tire,knocked it out of alignment,and bent the wheel.

Did you at least manage to get his plate number...........
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

You fucked up the tire or the wheel or both. Go to Jimmys Pub in Mansfield, Mass and tell George I sad to give you a free beer.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    You fucked up the tire or the wheel or both. Go to Jimmys Pub in Mansfield, Mass and tell George I sad to give you a free beer.
    good man!
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

red
    04 pontiac GTO

I did the same thing except it was slidig in the snow. Same shake. It was a bent wheel.

Nero
    2006 gto

Ok here are some pictures of the wheel in question. Dont know if this makes a difference, but at least you can see the scrapes

2004,2008 triumph 675 SE

Sounds like a bent wheel or lower a-arm.

Nero
    2006 gto

What do I do? Lets says its the worse case scenario for this situation. Busted wheel, tire, screwed up rotor and brakes, and the A arm is shot. What kinda prices am I looking at?

Ok so heres an update... I jacked up the right front side and spun the wheel for a bit, listening and feeling for any signs of resistance from the brakes, and Ive come to the conclusion that I dont have a warped rotor. I may be wrong, im not a pro, but it would seem that the rotor is fine. So im leaning towards bent wheel, Im gonna take it to the dealership where I bought it and have them check it out. Thanks for all the help guys! And Sarge, thanks for the beer...
    Last edited by PatrizioD; 04-23-2008 at 11:58 AM.

red
    04 pontiac GTO

I had a bad rim and priced a new one. After the small heartattack I called a junk yard and they got me a rim that was like brand new. No problems with it. I do not remember what I payed for it. If they do not have one in stock most junk yards are tied together over the computer and they will find you one. If you do not like it you do not have to take it.

Green
    1996 Chevy Camaro

I'd say its a bent wheel. Take it to a shop and have them balance the wheels. They will be able to tell then whether it is bent.

Thread Information