Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil service

Oil service

If the oil service screen comes on a few times will it shut down the car. It did on mine. When I reset the service indicator the car started

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

First I have heard of this.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

I never heard of that happening on any car, I was probably just a coincidence.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Never heard of it and I've had mine for almost six years. Have your car scanned. Could be a body control module issue.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

It could be some type of engine protection code but I have never heard of this on any car. I would have it scanned just to be on the safe side.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Obdii

I did scan it with an ODBII scanner but you know thats an emmission code scanner for the most part and those issues wont cause the car to stop running. ie if your water pump goes out do you think an obdii scanner will tell you? People also have told me that these cars dont have a panic alarm but I know they do. I pressed the buttons one day a certain way and the alarm went off. So I tried to start it 3 times, pausing each time, would not start, rest the oil indicator then it starts. Coincidence? The dealer replaced the BCM about a year ago and have had no problems except for this incident.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Call your GM dealer.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Was the security light on while cranking?

BCM

I am thinking when you are cranking all the lights come on as a test. Not sure which one is a security light. When I was cranking the car over, it felt like it was trying to start but died. One time I pressed the accellerator down when cranking and nothing happened. Are you thinking the BCM and when it causes trouble does the entire BCM functions go out. ie should I have tried the remote door locks?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I'm wondering if when you pressed the buttons on the fob, you possibly wiped the memory from the fob. I know the fob contacts the ring on the lock cylinder to permit coding/starting. You might have reset something when you reset the service light. I could be wrong as I have never pressed the buttons like you did. Our security light is a flashing padlock on the lower left hand side of the gauge cluster.

alarm

The alarm incident happened a year ago and the fob still worked fin, along with the car. I dont think anything got wiped out. Next time it happens I will put a timing light on a spark plug wire to see if its a firing problem. I heard a bad BCM can prevent the car from starting. I thought the body control module would be for things like the door locks and lighting.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Might have an ignition relay going bad.
    Callies 383, Trick Flow 225, Rapid Motorsports Dominatior 2 X cam, ls6 ported oil pump,42lb injectors, FAST 92/92 , ASP underdrive pully, eletric water pump, Pacesetter LT's, Pacesetter ORY, Magnaflow catback, e-cutout, Yank SS 3600, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60e, Strange S60 ,4.10s, Detroit Truetrac, (UMI) - Adj. LCA, Adj. tunnel mount torque arm, Adj. panhard bar, Drag bar, subframe conectors, shock tower brace. 465rwhp-438rwtq 11.09@119.90.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Bad BCM will disable the ignition system on our cars. Our BCMs run a lot of other systems on our cars.

Ignition
    Interior/exterior lighting
    ABS/Traction Control
    Anti-theft
    Radio
    Gauges
    Air Conditioning

The BCM allows all the different on-board systems to communicate with each other. It goes bad and the car can be rendered pretty much useless.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just curious, other than a super salty Tech II, is there a reasonably priced BCM scanner out there?

BCM

Well, it looks like the BCM, although its new. Called the dealer who has the full history on the car and had replaced the BCM and they said its a security issue, security light is blinking when its not starting. Its under an extended warranty and its covered (they said) so I hope it can be fixed and my starting problems ended.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just do the VATS bypass and be done with it.

Vats

Bypass a VATS on a GTO, never heard of that, how is that done?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I was posting mobile when I replied and did not see that we were in the GTO sub-forums.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Just curious, other than a super salty Tech II, is there a reasonably priced BCM scanner out there?
    I believe a Solus/Modus or Autell scanner can scan BCMs.

Quote Originally Posted by johnfin View Post
    Well, it looks like the BCM, although its new. Called the dealer who has the full history on the car and had replaced the BCM and they said its a security issue, security light is blinking when its not starting. Its under an extended warranty and its covered (they said) so I hope it can be fixed and my starting problems ended.
    Good to hear you don't have to pay out-of-pocket. Once the replacement BCM goes in and is coded to the new fobs, you'll be back on the road with no further worries.

BCM

Not really, its been done recently, new BCM, keys and programming, no luck. For the most part the car is ok, 2 times it has not wanted to start.

Thread Information