Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Which oil?

This is a discussion on Which oil? within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Hahahahaha....I love them Aggies man! HGH Exile huh? You should wear that like a badge of honor.....or you could get ...

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Hahahahaha....I love them Aggies man! HGH Exile huh? You should wear that like a badge of honor.....or you could get a job behind a parts counter or a part time magazine job and run around programming shift lights....I hear tell those jobs are what all royalty has these days

txcosmos
    Now THAT'S some funny shit!

We need to get together and roam those hill roads, we can even invite the aggie. Since we are all castaways...

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Your on....They are having a car show in Blanco coming up.....few of us Austin/San Antonio GTO's will be there....these are good folks that think by themselves and are not required to ask permission to speak or think like some "car clubs"
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

txcosmos
    Total thread hijack, sorry...

let us know, we would like to see ya again, bring the "old" ladies on a trip...

z06vette

Synthethic Oil

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    Define ash please....good to see another "senior gearhead" around by the way Welcome man....we take oil fairly serious here.....
    TO make it short and sweet "sulfated ash is how much solid material is left when the oil burns" A high ash content will tend to form more sludge and deposits in the engine, particulary on the valves becasue of the temps there.. Low ash content also seems to promote long valve life. Look for oils ( if you use Dino oil) with a low ash content.
    Last edited by z06vette; 01-18-2006 at 11:26 AM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by z06vette
    TO make it short and sweet "sulfated ash is how much solid material is left when the oil burns" A high ash content will tend to form more sludge and deposits in the engine, particulary on the valves becasue of the temps there.. Low ash content also seems to promote long valve life. Look for oils ( if you use Dino oil) with a low ash content.
    I just wanted to make sure you knew Man you are gonna have to go back to the SJ/API rated oils to get ash......the add packs and VOA's on the SL/SM's are much much different now....

z06vette
    Well I have not used anything but pure Synthetic in like9 years..

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I hear ya man....many do not realize todays dino's have excellent add packs and the line between synthetics and dino's is almost vanished...

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

this might be a stupid ? but then no question is a stupid question, so what is DINO oil?
    Borla XR-1 energy bushings UMI B&M Spohn suspension techniques eibach edelbroc K&N Richmond Eaton F.A.S.T FlashTuner NGK MSD SLP J&M - I owe it all to my mentor- my dad.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

No such thing as a stupid question...just Mustang drivers....Dino oil is conventional...or Dinasaur oil thus Dino....

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    No such thing as a stupid question...just Mustang drivers....Dino oil is conventional...or Dinasaur oil thus Dino....
    yeah you said it, "Mustake" drivers I call em. Thanks, I had a feeling it was non-synthetic but i'd rather ask then assume. I appreciate it!!

red
    2004 gto

Additive analysis

I read the interesting discussion (threads) concerning which type of oil to use in our GTOs (LS1). Most arguements presented are with merit, but a second look at "oil Bob's" additive analysis is necessary. In his analysis, he added Lucas oil treatment to conventional motor oil and compared it to Scaeffer"s synthetic oil. As the test machine spun its gears, it showed the Lucas treated oil beginning to foam from air entrapment, while the Schaeffer oil remained foamless with good climb.

Please be advised that I have a high regard for Scaeffer's oil. However, the test machine gears operated in the open air and thus mixed in excessive air thereby causing the foaming we witnessed in the Lucas treated oil. As we all know, oil enters the engine through the pickup and then to the pump where no air is present, and hence, no foaming occurs except for the brief moment immediately following a cold start up.

Thus, air entrainment should not be at issue in Lucas treated oil. While Scaeffer's oil would not benefit from additional additives, too many inferior oils on the market today would. I also make this point about the validity of Lucas lubricants through experience where these fine lubricants have made sluggish tranmissions shift and noisey motors to quiet down.

Your thoughts on the subject are welcome. In addition, I enjoyed reading "Sarge's" threads the most, since he supported his statements with facts based upon sound oil analysis. From one former Staff Seargent to another, good work GI.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Thanks man...and the Amsoil 4 ball test is bullshit...pour bleach in there and get better wear numbers than Amsoil....dont mean I'm pouring bleach in Oprah anytime soon....research....turn up ones internet bullshit filters....dont follow the crowd...ask questions...ask for defensable data and not Internet hearsay.....and change your oil and use a good filter......

Quote Originally Posted by txcosmos
    Now THAT'S some funny shit!

I heard that a parts counter guy saved you some serious coin once. They must not be all bad...lol.

txcosmos
    Quote Originally Posted by 05VZ
    I heard that a parts counter guy saved you some serious coin once. They must not be all bad...lol.
    You know, for someone that didn't want anyone to know, and didn't want me to let it out, you sure do talk about it alot! Yeah, Joe you are the man, I owe you my life, my soul, my first born whatever. I thanked you over and over again, even gave you a heartfelt gift of appreciation, but you still seem to never let me forget the fact that you helped me out.

See, a friend does a good deed and forgets about it, he doesn't hold it over your head and keep reminding you about it, so it can't be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by txcosmos
    You know, for someone that didn't want anyone to know, and didn't want me to let it out, you sure do talk about it alot! Yeah, Joe you are the man, I owe you my life, my soul, my first born whatever. I thanked you over and over again, even gave you a heartfelt gift of appreciation, but you still seem to never let me forget the fact that you helped me out.

See, a friend does a good deed and forgets about it, he doesn't hold it over your head and keep reminding you about it, so it can't be forgotten.
    1 post = over and over again. lol.

Hey it's cool. I never said you owe me anything. I just thought it is funny that I'm such a bad guy but when you needed help, I just handled it. Yeah, you gave me a heartfelt gift of appreciation, but I tell ya, what I would have preferred is for you to give me the benefit of the doubt recently. I'm not holding anything over your head. All I'm saying is I came through for you when you needed me, so I bet I'm not such a bad guy.

I'll drop it. That's all I have to say about it. You won't hear about this from me again.

1 of 396 T/A Conv 2001 Wayah-bird's Avatar

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

Chevy dealer says....

Regular oil is fine if you change it every 3,000 miles. He also said something interesting about WS6's 325 HP vs regular 310 HP indicating that the additional 15 HP might be worth the switch to synthetic, according to a GM manual he was looking at. I wonder the thought process behind that in the manual?

Quicksilver
    2004 Pontiac GTO

I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic since 1500 miles, and have changed the oil religiously every 3K since. 18,400 on it now. She doesn't use a single drop between changes.

Torrid Red
    05 GTO

Machine Silver
    04 Corvette

I use Amsoil 5-30W year round since GM recommends 5-30W for its LS2. In addition, I add 16 ozs. of molybdenum disulfide aka moly to reduce engine friction. I notice that the moly is working after I start the engine. Normally it idles at 500 rpm, after the moly, it idles between 700 to 800 rpms for several minutes until the CPU brings it down to 500 rpms again. After about 3000 miles, the moly gets old since it doens't idle at 700 to 800 rpms anymore but goes back to 500 rpms. That is when I change the oil and the moly.

I like the K&N high flow oil filter since it circulates more oil through the engine than the stock GM oil filter.

I used the same oil and moly treatment on my Subaru that I traded in for the GTO. The Subaru had 52,000 miles on it and it ran better than the day I bought it new.

Regards,

Chuck

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information