Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OEM Radio Tweak

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

OEM Radio Tweak

Friend of mine has an 04 up in Austin told me this......I assume it is the same for 05's and 6's.
    Our radios aren't all that I admit. But man this tweak made a HUGE difference.
    Crank up the amp....(you guys probably already know about this....trunk/drivers side/under the carpet/4 screws/amp comes out/turn it all the way up. Simple as hell...takes three minutes.....)
    Turn the car on...turn the radio off.....hold ON and 4 down at the same time for about 2 seconds...the radio comes back on.....set the Bass to -2 and Treble to -1....holy cow...sounds fricking great...
    Do a before and after at like sound level 45 with your favorite CD and see for yourself.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I bumped mine to half or a little past half I think. There's been issues with those amps overheating and shutting down so that's why I didn't go all the way up. Test it out for us the next time you're cruising and crank it up for a while and see if it overheats and shuts down.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Most can just reach around and turn the amp up without even removing the carpet by the way....but the carpet is no big deal...just 2 plugs....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I bumped mine to half or a little past half I think. There's been issues with those amps overheating and shutting down so that's why I didn't go all the way up. Test it out for us the next time you're cruising and crank it up for a while and see if it overheats and shuts down.
    I've had my amp cranked up for three years and I do blast away...no problems at all. I just had never done this on+4 (turn off the shit EQ) before and it sounds great.....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you can also hit the EQ button a few times and turn it off that way. I had mine overheat 1 time on me about 2 years ago but that's been it.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yeah but that doesn't reset all the other factory/dealer/shop tech/salesman settings.

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Yeah but that doesn't reset all the other factory/dealer/shop tech/salesman settings.
    Set mine already, i did notice a difference but how a about if i bump the bass a little, will it give me problems with overheating or anything like that??

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Did mine today and could tell a difference, it's a shame they didn't do a better job on the radio.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by pmolina0436 View Post
    Set mine already, i did notice a difference but how a about if i bump the bass a little, will it give me problems with overheating or anything like that??
    No.

Impulse Blue
    2004 GTO

I've had mine like this for years. Never once have I had a problem with mine. Good idea to bring the info on this site if others haven't seen it yet.

I actually think the stock radio gets a bad rap. Is it the greatest, no. But its not that bad. Its little tweaks like this that really bring it to life.
    Rob
    04 GTO
    96 WS6

PMB
    2004 GTO

another thing you could do is buy a cleansweap unit...I had one in mine for awhile before i bought a aftermarket headunit and o man it totally changes everything. its louder. bolder and most of all clearer, which was huge for me. they're a little expensive but def worth it if you wanna keep the factory unit.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    04M6 GTO

Pics.

We did I post just liek this a few days ago on our Myspace GTO Group.
    I posted some pics there, i'll share with LS1! Always happy to help where I can.
    ---

Pr0ject GTO. wrote:
    There’s a very simple OEM radio tweak for the GTO. Applicable to all years.
    04, 05, 06, on both M6 and A4.

This tweak supplies more power from yoru amp to your sound system, thus giving you more sound quakity and volume clarity.

Steps:

As with all electrical repairs, start by disconnecting the battery - Better safe than sorry.

Move to the trunk of the car. Remove the carpet from the bottom of the trunk, and the backing, infront of the fuel cell.
    If done properly, there should be no carpet in the trunk of the GTO. Or, at least removed enough so you can reach the location of the amp.
    There are 4 or 5 press pins holding each of the carpet pieces in place.

Now, look on the driver’s side of the trunk. On the wall of the trunk, you will see 4 screws. Don’t remove them, just losen them enough to break the bond.
    Now, slide the amp upwards, positioning the screws in the hole areas.
    Pull back on the amp, freeing it from the trunk metal.
    Slide the amp tward the rear of the car. The amp comes out.

Leave the wires alone. Look for a dial on the end of the amp, and turn it all the way up. You’re done!
    Replace the amp, tighten. Replace the carpet and pins. Shut the trunk.

Replace the battery cable(s). Shut the hood.

---

Now to reset the radio...
    Move to the driver’s seat and put the key in the ignition. DO NOT START THE ENGINE. Simply turn the key to the ON position and turn the radio OFF.
    Now, turn the key off.
    Now, turn the key to the ON posistion again, and press and hold the number four (4) button on the radio, and the ON button. The radio will reset and turn on, after about 5 seconds. You’re done! Enjoy your better, louder sound!

---
    Notes:

It’s important to remember, the GTO’s radio is equiped with a safety mechenism that will shut the sound system off if it should get hot. So enjoy your radio in moderation after making this tweak. Personally i’ve never had any trouble with an overheating occurence.

There are no markings on the dial on the amp, so if you lose yoru place when turning it up, just try to feel the click when you turn the dial. The click feeling is the center mark, or half-way position on the amp.

Results will vary. Do a before and after test with your favorite song when applying this tweak.

Tools

Start by removing the pins.

The screws holding the amp in.

Just losen the screws. Removing them will not be necessary.

Slide the amp up to free it. Then out.

See my notes about the dial position...

Remember the reset procedure with the ON and FOUR (4) buttons.

Done!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Nice post...thanks man!

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

damn this is nice ill try it,I do like the factory stereo,best new car stereo ive ever had then again the GTO is the first new car I have ever bought,had 1-2 yr old ones lol. anyways thanks ill do it,nice to know the lil tricks to do.

Nero
    2006 gto

Ok I did this and noticed HUGE improvements in the quality of music coming through the speakers. Here's my dilemma...
    I havent driven the GTO in about 2 months, so my memory is a bit foggy. I could have sworn that when I used to turn the car off and remove the key, the radio would keep playing until I opened a door. Since I've tweaked it per this thread, as soon as I take the key out it turns off. Am I imagining the way it used to be? Or did this tweak remove that factory setting?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

mine turns off as soon as I turn the key off or pull the key or somewhere around there...it doesn't wait on the doors.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Another reason I want a goat.. lemme guess the f-bodies dont have this nice feature

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

Damn...i did this last week and didnt notice a difference.....because i didnt reset the radio. Im glad i looked on this thread. Thanks Sarge!

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

I beleive when you pull the key it always turns off,I did the mod/turn up and mine plays just as before you open door with radio playing it turns off,mine is on the lift,freakin winter and doing mods,so i listen to radio while in garage what better way to maintain battery lol and need to charge ..any ways radio works just turn the power button on even with key not in ignition,just as before..

Black
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    mine turns off as soon as I turn the key off or pull the key or somewhere around there...it doesn't wait on the doors.
    +1 Mine has always shut off when I turned the key off. Mine is a 2006

Thread Information