Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

OBX headers for GTO?

This is a discussion on OBX headers for GTO? within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Nev3r_L8 i like this a lot, probablly will be my route in the near future. i was ...

Universal Pisser Offer Fester801's Avatar

Torrid Red
    05 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Nev3r_L8 View Post
    i like this a lot, probablly will be my route in the near future. i was thinking of going jba route only reason because headers were coated. but might go for obx and just wrap them.

hows the heat in the engine, are you going to wrap yours?

i just wonder how louder are LT with high flow cats compared to shortys without res??much louder or not much? anyone on this subject... i am a daily driver too and i do not want it to be much louder. we dont have the emission test so that is not the concern.

what's the difference in HP numbers and TQ of shorty vs LTs? big difference?
    I didn't plan on wrapping them, the heat hasn't been an issue so far. They sell cat'd LT's if want to keep the cats, but if you don't have to deal with emissions I'd go LT's. I can say these flow a lot better than the stock manifolds and are lighter, but you'll definitely get more power from the LT's. I have the SAP exhaust, which is different than the stock GTO's, but even with that the exhaust note is deeper and a lot smoother. It's sounds close to the same to me just driving around town, but at WOT I've been told it sounds louder and much better, but not obnoxious. It's been a much more pleasurable car to drive.

'06

thanks for the input faster. yes i want to get the LTs, but i do not want that car to tear my ears apart. i had a firebird and drove it daily and on long trips, 500+ miles it just gets anoying. i have a full exhaust on my sportbike and it is getting anoying. this gto is going to be my almost daily, and emissions are not enforced here in state so my only concern is the sound. i wonder what the difference in numbers is, 5/10/15/20 HP. dont know if it's worth it. tried youtube for sound but no luck and usually it's hard to tell on the net. i wish i had some real experience and i could see one live. but most likely i'll go shorties, just like you did and borla catback. i am thinking of wrapping the headers though, 25$ 50ft of wrap on ebay i saw the other day. save the engine in the long run at least a bit from the heat as obx is not coated.

'06

where did you get the x pip? and how much? i will do an x pipe and leave stock exhaust as cat back doesnt gain any hp but just changes the sound.

Torrid Red
    05 GTO M6

where did you get the x pip? and how much? i will do an x pipe and leave stock exhaust as cat back doesnt gain any hp but just changes the sound.
    $177 bucks from a guy on ebay. I comes with all the clamps and gaskets. I'll PM you the link. I think it probably gives a little power just because of the flow it changes. That resonator is a pig, be careful when you take it off.

'06

cool. well looking at the LTs OBX, it seems that they come as straight pipes, and not high flow cats. can anyone confirm this?

Quicksilver Metallic
    2005 GTO

They come with resonators instead of cats for $495 or so, but you can fnd them online with hi flow cats for $650

'06

i'm seeing ls1 04 for 690 only, catted, and not for ls2.

Quicksilver Metallic
    2005 GTO

Check sparktecmotorsports.

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Fester801 View Post
    $177 bucks from a guy on ebay. I comes with all the clamps and gaskets. I'll PM you the link. I think it probably gives a little power just because of the flow it changes. That resonator is a pig, be careful when you take it off.
    Fester would you send me the link for the x pipe also, would like to get rid of that weight and have a better sound. Thanks', Jack

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

i'm seeing ls1 04 for 690 only, catted, and not for ls2.
    Hawk is right on, Sparktec Motors has them for the 05-06 with cats for 690. Now I would like to know and have searched all over, do you have to put the steering shaft through the header, everyone who has installed them said it was simple and it took a couple of hours.... so that leaves me to believe you don't. If anyone could let me know sure would appreciate it.

'06

thanks, will look into it

Torrid Red
    05 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jack View Post
    Hawk is right on, Sparktec Motors has them for the 05-06 with cats for 690. Now I would like to know and have searched all over, do you have to put the steering shaft through the header, everyone who has installed them said it was simple and it took a couple of hours.... so that leaves me to believe you don't. If anyone could let me know sure would appreciate it.
    You have to take the rack loose, but they don't go through the shaft. I'll go ahead and post the link for the xpipe as long as the mods don't spank me. It's a well made unit and can be installed in less than an hour.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information