Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

OBX headers for GTO?

This is a discussion on OBX headers for GTO? within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; [IMG] [/IMG] Needless to say, I was quite happy when I opened these up. They probably weigh about 10 pounds ...

Universal Pisser Offer Fester801's Avatar

Torrid Red
    05 GTO M6

[IMG][/IMG]
    Needless to say, I was quite happy when I opened these up. They probably weigh about 10 pounds or so less.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Right side. Look how thick those flanges are, and yes I used the factory hardware with a nice little dose of anti-seize. This side had to come out the bottom because of the ABS block up top. You just have to loosen the Rack and drop it down.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    You can see the rack here that I had to loosen to get the units traded out. Also the heat shield/body brace to the right had to be taken out. Just 4 little screws and it's out.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Driver side. Unbolted the rack but did not undo the steering shaft. The unit moved just enough to get the passenger side free. That top bolt on the collector was a B*tch.
    Last edited by Fester801; 03-03-2011 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Pic didn't load

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Nice looking parts and a nice write up with pics, thank you very much. Less weight and better flow, was there a seat of the pants feel with power or response?

Torrid Red
    05 GTO M6

[IMG][/IMG]
    From the rear axle. X-pipe just slid over the pipes behind the old resonator. The tailpipes were kinda just hangin' out loose until the midpipes were re-installed. Once the mids were tight and the x-pipe was straight, I snugged up the tailpipe claps, eyeballed the alignment and clearance and tightened them down.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    From the engine. Once I hung the midpipes back up and bolted them to the header collector, I tapped the x-pipe forward into the correct position with a dead-blow mallet and bolted it up with the gaskets provided. In case you missed it, I got the x-pipe for $177 off of ebay.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Started to install the cold air system from Cold Air Inductions (again, off of Ebay for 179 bucks) but I ran out of gas as it was about 0200 hrs. I don't have numbers, but my butt dyno is guessing at 25ish Hp, and a great lift in torque. Needless to say it is much more fun to drive. I'll get more pics of the finished cold air and such this weekend. By the way I took all these pics with my iPhone camera and about half shot in the ass.
    Last edited by Fester801; 03-03-2011 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Forgot a line

Torrid Red
    05 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jack View Post
    Nice looking parts and a nice write up with pics, thank you very much. Less weight and better flow, was there a seat of the pants feel with power or response?
    Well, it feels kinda like sleepin' with a newer younger girlfriend if that tells you anything...

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Fester801 View Post
    Well, it feels kinda like sleepin' with a newer younger girlfriend if that tells you anything...
    LOL got you!!!

Torrid Red
    05 GTO M6

[IMG][/IMG]
    Pic of the finished cold air. I was patient, and kept searching ebay every day till I found some poor guy who had to sell his stuff to pay for reproduction. There's always a way. Hurst shifter install is next.....

Torrid Red
    05 GTO M6

[IMG][/IMG]

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Looking good Fester!

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Very good writeup. I am saving for either OBX or JBA. Did you have to change the spark plug wires, or are you using the factory ones?
    Last edited by cammed goat; 03-08-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Torrid Red
    05 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Very good writeup. I am saving for either OBX or JBA. Did you have to change the spark plug wires, or are you using the factory ones?
    Thanks!! I'm using the factory ones for now, the number 6 just barely touches, but it hasn't been a problem. The boots on those things are huge. I did change the plugs since I had to take them out anyway. I looked into the JBA but rolled the dice on the OBX just because of the cost and it turned out better then I'd hoped.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

OK. I was wondering if the stock wires would suffice since the OBX and JBAs are short. I have heard the wires have to be swapped with longtubes. This answers my questions.

blue
    2004 GTO

Dude im running the OBX's for 500.00 bucks the whole kit L/T the cans. all you need. changed it in 2/1/2 hours. Big thick flanges same as KOOKs but 500 bucks you missed out.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I run Kooks 1 7/8 L/T's on my GTO. I bought them used (< 1K miles) from a guy in our local club. I added a Corsa Touring C/B at the same time. Good seat of the pants upgrade until I did heads/cam/intake mod in January. OP, your install looks great, I like the CAI.

Scott

Torrid Red
    05 GTO M6

Well, I think I said before, I knew I'd catch a little grief on here because I went with shorties instead of L/T's, but I live in Tarrant county, which is an emissions county. Even with that, the turd who inspected it the other day had his book out to see if these were legal. I educated him and passed, but I know L/T's wouldn't have passed. Since I enforce the law, I figured I'd abide by it and not be a hypocrite.

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Well, I think I said before, I knew I'd catch a little grief on here because I went with shorties instead of L/T's, but I live in Tarrant county, which is an emissions county. Even with that, the turd who inspected it the other day had his book out to see if these were legal. I educated him and passed, but I know L/T's wouldn't have passed. Since I enforce the law, I figured I'd abide by it and not be a hypocrite.
    Did the OBX come with a carb rating? If I remember JBA is carb rated why not OBX?

Torrid Red
    05 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jack View Post
    Did the OBX come with a carb rating? If I remember JBA is carb rated why not OBX?
    Not that came with them, but I haven't really looked. Most of the time if you don't alter the factory configuration, they don't give you a hard time. I'll have to look into that Jack.

Black

I understand about being law abiding, a lot of guys here remove their cats or gut them. I am not a tree hugger by any means but want to do what is right for the environment.

Scott

'06

i like this a lot, probablly will be my route in the near future. i was thinking of going jba route only reason because headers were coated. but might go for obx and just wrap them.

hows the heat in the engine, are you going to wrap yours?

i just wonder how louder are LT with high flow cats compared to shortys without res??much louder or not much? anyone on this subject... i am a daily driver too and i do not want it to be much louder. we dont have the emission test so that is not the concern.

what's the difference in HP numbers and TQ of shorty vs LTs? big difference?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I don't think you will have any issues, Fester. You still run the factory cats in the stock locations. So you should be good. This is why I want to run the JBAs in the future. I can keep my mids/cats/resonators. OBXs should be the same.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Nev3r_L8 View Post
    i like this a lot, probablly will be my route in the near future. i was thinking of going jba route only reason because headers were coated. but might go for obx and just wrap them.

hows the heat in the engine, are you going to wrap yours?

i just wonder how louder are LT with high flow cats compared to shortys without res??much louder or not much? anyone on this subject... i am a daily driver too and i do not want it to be much louder. we dont have the emission test so that is not the concern.

what's the difference in HP numbers and TQ of shorty vs LTs? big difference?
    You can buy coated LT's. As for the loudness issue, I went with Corsa Touring because it has two mufflers per pipe (Corsa makes their Sport version that has one muffler per pipe and is louder) and I knew I was going to upgrade the engine with a more aggressive cam. The Corsa system works great. At idle the car has a nice lope to it, a old school muscle car sound, and while driving you can't tell I have done much beyond an exhaust. I have gotten many compliments at the track about the car's sound at WOT. I am not sure what kind of numbers the car made with just headers and an exhaust but a good rule of thumb is about a 10% gain in HP and TQ. This is with LT's, as for short style headers, most websites advertise around 5-10 HP gain. If an emission test isn't a concern and you plan on doing more with the engine later, I would spend the money and get the long tubes. Hope this helps.

Scott

PS I forgot to add that getting rid of the factory exhaust removes the resonator that has about 40 pounds of fiberglass in it!
    Last edited by NavyTATwo; 04-18-2011 at 05:10 AM. Reason: None.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information