IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Nitto NT-01 or 555r's?

I do mostly street driving but plan to take the car to the track 1-3 times a year but i still want to be able to hook good on the street. I usually only drive the car on weekends and every now and then during the week so its by no means a DD. I was wondering what you guys think the best tire would be for me?
    Thanks
    Braydin
    2006 IBM GTO A4
    20% sides/rear 35% Windshield,SAP Repos,Ruff 278s Staggered 18s,LT's,Catless mids,Spintech Mufflers/X pipe,Torquer v.2,Vig3200 Stall,HPTuned,AEM CAI,SLP Thermostat,IAT relocate,BMR Drag bags, P4000DVD HU.

2000 TA WS6 NBM A4 Full Bolt-Ons-Gone

98 Formula
    06 duramax

how much driving in the rain do you do? I ran nitto's on mine and got caught in the rain a few times with zero issues then one time several years ago I was doing 55mph and it was sprinkling. I was just cruising along and all at once the back end kicked out and got me sideways at 55mph. Wasn't a fun time and scared the crap out of me. Worries me to death now. I don't drive the car period if there's even a chance of rain. I think I'm a very low percentage of people that's had this happen because I rarely read about it but it only takes once to make you a believer. I think I had about 9k miles on the tires at that point so they were by no means new.
    Nitto's are great on the street but not so great at the track. The biggest selling point for nitto's is the miles you get out of them. I get about 13k out of a set vs 6-7k out of most other drag radials. It sounds like the 555r's would fit your needs, just be careful in the rain.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

do the nittos they are the best all around i use them on the street,mine is NOT a DD but i take it out all the time when weather is good,i have near or over 800hp the the rear tires,with race tune on street over 700 so if hey work on mine with traction control tuned for it,of course...for shits and gigles ill post up a video what mine did with street tune and traction control at track..i did have MT drags on that day but this is still tune with traction on,no burn out either before run just to prove my point..enjoy

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    how much driving in the rain do you do? I ran nitto's on mine and got caught in the rain a few times with zero issues then one time several years ago I was doing 55mph and it was sprinkling. I was just cruising along and all at once the back end kicked out and got me sideways at 55mph. Wasn't a fun time and scared the crap out of me. Worries me to death now. I don't drive the car period if there's even a chance of rain. I think I'm a very low percentage of people that's had this happen because I rarely read about it but it only takes once to make you a believer. I think I had about 9k miles on the tires at that point so they were by no means new.
    Nitto's are great on the street but not so great at the track. The biggest selling point for nitto's is the miles you get out of them. I get about 13k out of a set vs 6-7k out of most other drag radials. It sounds like the 555r's would fit your needs, just be careful in the rain.
    I have ran them on interstate in a pour down at 80mph,as with any tire you have to give them respect,they are not the best track tire but are damn close ,you can burn the shit out of them and they wear well,best 60 ft times i get with them are 1.71,they do work great on the street and you can fit a 275x40x17 under the stock fenders with stock 17 wheels on a GTO,cant say the same for MTs you gotta cut the lips fo them.. Ive done several on freinds cars,one of my freinds has a 06 with tune,stainless works LT and drag bags car has ran best of 12.8 on the street from a dig its hard to get them to even turn taking off.I use em go through two sets a summer and I have other tires for track.when i run car at track i usually get 1.8 60ft times with nittos turning 104-106mph in 1/8 mile.bottom line they are best all around they last even after hard repeated burn outs,damn i should be a dealer of nittos lol..extreame drag 555s
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

yah my car doesn't get driven unless there's 30% or less chance of rain. So you guys think the 555r's? i do mostly street driving so should they hook? and I have drag bags and fenders rolled you think i should be able to squeeze the 285/35-18 in there?

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

not sure on the 18s I took them off soon as i got the car ,damn things cost $100 each more then the 17s,more side wall more bite thats a rule of thumb

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

yah i was used to buyin tires for the TA with 17's looked at tire prices for my 18's and...

Thread Information