Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Nitrogen in tires

This is a discussion on Nitrogen in tires within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; We use Nitrogen to service all our air in the aircraft industry, mainly becuase its "DRY" and prevents corrosion. You ...

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

We use Nitrogen to service all our air in the aircraft industry, mainly becuase its "DRY" and prevents corrosion. You would see no difference at all in the amount of nitrogen placed in a 17, 18 or a 19 x 8 inch tire.

Its a scam, when I bought my wheels, they wanted to charge me 30 bucks to fill my tires with nitrogen.

black
    1980+2000 Trans Ams

on my 80 t/a, i got a new set of BFG radials at costco and they filled my tires with nitrogen for free, never had to refill them once since, still at 35 psi

rednari
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    Sounds like a good idea, Red. Some Paintball supply stores have it too... I used to fill up my M4 Paintball Marker (gun) with it. What I'd like to know is, what is the weight difference between a tire with nitrogen and a tire with air (at the same pressure, obviously). Anyone have any info on this?
    I do not have the actual weight difference for a given tire, but I do know that air is 79% nitrogen, 20% oxygen, and 1% other gases. On the table of atomic weights, nitrogen is 14 and oxygen 16, so oxygen is slightly heavier. It probably does not add upto more than an ounce or two for the average tire fill.

But that is not the true purpose for nitrogen. The oxygen in air attracks water from the atmosphere and compressing equipment. When racing at high and sustained speeds, the water turns to steam and affects handling and could cause a blow out, as mentioned above. It also prevents rim rusting as pointed out by Spieldawg for aircraft rims, which do not operate at sustained high speeds where steaming is a factor.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

I've thought about switching to nitrogen in my tires for a while now...

There ARE benefits to switching over to nitrogen, as people have previously stated...cost & availability seem to be the only disadvantages. However, it seems more auto places/dealerships/tire stores/repair shops are carrying nitrogen....I know of numerous places that carry it in only a couple-mile radius from my house.

Actually, though I've been thinking about putting nitrogen in the tires on my car for some time, I've been even more so thinking about putting it in the tires NOT on my car. I have some rims in storage that have new tires on them and I've thought it'd be good to put nitrogen in those...one reason being that the nitrogen will help prevent the insides of the rims from corrosion...

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by rednari View Post
    I do not have the actual weight difference for a given tire, but I do know that air is 79% nitrogen, 20% oxygen, and 1% other gases. On the table of atomic weights, nitrogen is 14 and oxygen 16, so oxygen is slightly heavier. It probably does not add upto more than an ounce or two for the average tire fill.

But that is not the true purpose for nitrogen. The oxygen in air attracks water from the atmosphere and compressing equipment. When racing at high and sustained speeds, the water turns to steam and affects handling and could cause a blow out, as mentioned above. It also prevents rim rusting as pointed out by Spieldawg for aircraft rims, which do not operate at sustained high speeds where steaming is a factor.
    Well we use it in strut servicing too.. its truely Dry. as far as heat, aircraft tires will get hotter than any automotive tire due to excessive brake heat... etc.. Tire pressures can raise as much as 30-40 PSI on tires that have just taxi'd.

The main point of this is, you will see minimal if no gains in anything using nitrogen over air.

rednari
    So you are saying even though aircraft tires get hot after taxi, the steam created, if air filled for instance, is not a factor because the plane is not required to race through turns at 200 for several hundred miles.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I have never heard that before ever. I never heard of tires exlpoding due to excessive amounts of steam..

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Here's a few quick links to read..... pretty much just supports what's being said here though.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question594.htm

another one

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Primarily the reason we use it in aircraft is to prevent corrosion on the inside of the pistons, in the precharged accumulators, and actuators.. that are air precharged.

For the average joe, driving a GTO.. unless he is running an endurance race at redline for 8 hour around a road coarse, where the tire pressure is critical, this would have very minimal impact period. Save your money and buy some other mods down the road.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=37788&dateline=120321  7751
    2004 M6 Phantom Black with Red Interior.
    13.4 @ 104 MPH 1/4 mile
    www.teamgto.org
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2653972
    http://www.fquick.com/spieldawg

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i'm confused air is made up of 78-79% nitrogen already..i see no real big benefit from switching to nitrogen
    Mainly getting the water out of your tires Shady....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I still dont understand why some places do it for free as a service to their customers and some people here are being charged for it. It is all free here...that is why I said what the hell....

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

if i could find it for free around around here I would say sure what the hell, but I dont think I would pay for it

I f@#ked the prom queen RoadWrath04's Avatar

drivers' morale daily.
    Destroying Mustang-

ive got a friend who restores late '60s to early '70s muscle-cars...he swears by nitrogen in the tires, and his reasons are 1) better wear on the tires over their lifespan and 2) they can sit for longer periods of time without use and have less "ill effects" from neglect...he's got probably 7 or 8 cars now...i have no idea if they are true effects, or if they might just be in his head...but then again, he's one of the few around here that seems to have his shit together with his autos...

I f@#ked the prom queen RoadWrath04's Avatar

drivers' morale daily.
    Destroying Mustang-

update

ok, so my dealership is looking at getting the nitrogen setup for tire inflation, and i got curious, so i volunteered to help with the selection...turns out, getting a tank of nitrogen and hookin it up through a line for your tire inflation isn't gonna get you all the benefits...mostly because the special nitrogen machines they use have multiple filters, because air lines will allow moisture and oxygen to seep into the hose itself, so you still get all of the nasty stuff if you don't have filtration on the line to clean out impurities...you need 93% pure nitrogen for the max benefits of the fill...not sure how to do that without the machine...just in case you were curious...oh, and the machines are close to $5K on the low end...

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I just got a used oxygen tank/regulator and had it filled with 300lbs all for the one time cost of $85 bucks.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I apologize for resurrecting this old thread, but our dealership just bought one of these $8000 nitrogen filling machines and so I'm trying out nitrogen in my WS6. I actually thought I was experiencing the same thing Sarge did with the smoother ride, but wasn't sure if I was fooling myself.
    I've heard a few stories through coworkers and friends about nitrogen filled tires. One guy said his 1st set of (air filled) tires on his Volvo lasted 30k, 2nd set (same exact tire, nitrogen filled) has lasted 70k. I find that hard to believe but....IDK??
    Another guy said he didn't have to add air to his tires for 12 to 13 months...hmmm??
    Sounds neat.
    I ran a test on my car. Air filled tires increased in pressure about 3 to 3.5 psi on my ride home from work. Nitrogen filled (and on a warmer day) increased in pressure 1.5 to 2 PSI. So there was a difference there, although I expected(was hoping) the nitro pressure to stay within 1 psi, but whatever...

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yeah it is different than air. So it will return different results in ride/maintenance refilling time lines/tire wear etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information