silver
    2005 silverado

New GTO owner w/ questions on car's capabilities

I bought it already modded.

It makes 468 to the ground via a whole bunch of stuff, mainly a Magnacharger.

anyways, I bought it w/o 2nd gear working.

I imagine the sun gear shell is toasted....1st gear 3rd and 4th work fine and hold the power.

Since I'm going to tear into the trans to fix it, and I see you can get a Transbrake for these little guys now..........

what's the general opinion on the rearends handling a transbrake?

I'm going to go with a 3500 stall.

Anyone making 500-600 HP (it's got a 100HP Harris N02 setup not completely installed yet) and hooking up w/ their stock rearend?
    Last edited by blowerguy; 04-12-2010 at 06:36 AM.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I have read in GMHighTech that there are some running ProChargers with the stock rear. Some will upgrade to an Eaton TruTrac differential with either the factory 3:46 or they will run with the 3:91s. Others will post their experiences and advice.

This will help me learn about my carrier as well as I have chewed up two rears and my car is N/A.

silver
    2005 silverado

well, if you've toasted 2 already, they can't be good.....so t-brake is probably a bad idea.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Well, I dunno if it is because of the mods the previous owner did to the car before I bought it(cam, harrop diff cover). But the guy who rebuilt the original rear told me the previous owner put too much RTV on the pinion shaft and the RTV got sucked into the rear gumming up the pinion bearings. The current rear started making noises after I drove through all the snowstorms earlier this year.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by blowerguy View Post
    I bought it already modded.

It makes 468 to the ground via a whole bunch of stuff, mainly a Magnacharger.

anyways, I bought it w/o 2nd gear working.

I imagine the sun gear shell is toasted....1st gear 3rd and 4th work fine and hold the power.

Since I'm going to tear into the trans to fix it, and I see you can get a Transbrake for these little guys now..........

what's the general opinion on the rearends handling a transbrake?

I'm going to go with a 3500 stall.

Anyone making 500-600 HP (it's got a 100HP Harris N02 setup not completely installed yet) and hooking up w/ their stock rearend?
    Ive ran 10s for 3-4 years on the stocker plus 9s as well,as far as the trans,it will just brake again 60-65s are junk dont give a shit who build the damn thing,its weak,broke many went to a 4l80e love it.as far as a brake forget it in those as well,last one I had with a brake let off button at 4000rpm broke the input shaft down the middle and it was a 65 which was built to the hilt...dump the money into it of you must but its still gona bust!
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

2006 GTO

One of the biggest limitations on the GTO s the lack of tires size. It is useless to have serious hp if you do not have the suspension and tires that can maximize on what you can put down.

So if you are running stock suspension with big hp, you are really missing out on a lot of unused, effective hp

mike
    dms

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by dms motorsports View Post
    One of the biggest limitations on the GTO s the lack of tires size. It is useless to have serious hp if you do not have the suspension and tires that can maximize on what you can put down.

So if you are running stock suspension with big hp, you are really missing out on a lot of unused, effective hp

mike
    dms
    Ok im all ears I have most of the stock stuff and run 9s at 144mph what do you suggest that I do to my car and what will I gain with these mods?

silver
    2005 silverado

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    Ok im all ears I have most of the stock stuff and run 9s at 144mph what do you suggest that I do to my car and what will I gain with these mods?
    he sells suspension parts.......................so.....

2006 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    To start, let me congratulate you on running in the 9's with stock suspension. I do have some knowledge about being in the 9's and still having independent rear suspension. My friend, Frank Beck of Rocksand Racing, has the fastest GTO in the country running 9.1 to 9.2. I know exactly what he has in his chasis in order for it to:
    1. not break
    2. handle the hp efficiently
    3. Requires a full role cage
    4. Requires a parachute

So I would assume you have done some things?

What have you done?

thanks
    mike
    dms

Thread Information