New 04 GTO need help

This is a discussion on New 04 GTO need help within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Hi all I just bought a 04 GTO and I need help. What modifications should I do first, and what ...

silver
    2004 GTO

Question New 04 GTO need help

Hi all I just bought a 04 GTO and I need help. What modifications should I do first, and what brands are good.

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

This all depends on several of factors; 1.)How much do you want to spend? 2.)What are you going to do with the car? Race it? Daily driver?

The first thing I would do is make the car breathe better. K&N cold air induction (CAI) retails for @$300. Ebay CAI $230-$250 shipped new in box.

Next, I would look at headers, preferrably ceramic coated long-tube. Stainless works, SLP, or Kook headers are good brands. I have SLP long-tubes on my '04 GTO. They were $1300. The ceramic coating decreases heat, so there is no need to heat wrap them but the cost is more.

Next, open up the exhaust. I have SLP loud mouth II on my car. It sounds wicked! A different MAF sensor will also increase air flow. Having the car dyno tuned will increase horse power without any mods. If no one near you has a dyno tuner- you can get a Diablo Sport Predator which will give you a basic tune. They sell for @$300 on ebay. I don't know if your car is an A4 or an M6, but if it is an A4 you can also change the shift points, adjust for different sized tires, etc. with the Predator.

These are a few good starters. As far as handling and ride, a solid drive shaft will help as opposed to the factory split drive shaft. A harrop rear diff cover will help with wheel hop. I recommend the BMR drive shaft, 3 1/2 inch aluminum which retails at about $900.

But, all these mods depend on your goal for the car?

Click on my avatar to see what I have done to my GTO.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

A good cat-back and headers are the first step you wanna go. Maybe Kooks headers, and borla,corsa, or spintech cat-back. Also a tune on the Goat will help alot.The factory tune just isnt geared toward Horsepower. There is 10 HP or so you can get from a tune. Also tune out torque management. Maybe a pair of drag bags and all the bushings for your suspension to help your wheel hop issues. A sway bar and a strut tower brace will help alot also. The factory strut tower brace is little more that eye-candy really.

Hope that gets you on your way!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Beat me to it SCBgto

04 GTO QuickSilver
    95 MarkVIII wifey white

Well, you could've bought an 05 and gained 50 ponies instantly jk. I know that aside from my K&N + Magnaflow catback and a tune, any other mods will come a little at a time but I'm not in the position to be self indulgent.
    Enjoy your goat and whatever mods you make to her.
    04/A4 Quicksilver
    Magnflow catback-Resonator delete
    K&N drop in
    SAP front Grills and 05 hood
    Limo tinted windows-Gets me pulled over alot
    Diablosport Predator (RWTD) tune.

Whats the price diff going for on a 04 compared to an 05. Lets say the mileage is the same, I just want to know if the 05 is thousands more cuz of just the engine.

Thread Information