Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Nasty Front End Shake 65-85 MPH

This is a discussion on Nasty Front End Shake 65-85 MPH within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; OK, it's Friday and I am going to make more time to fix this fucking shake. Sarge - U got ...

Black
    2004 GTO A4

OK, it's Friday and I am going to make more time to fix this fucking shake.

Sarge - U got any other ideas on what this could be?

Bueller?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Stand by....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

How close is Eastpointe?

Black
    2004 GTO A4

Sarge - eastpoint is close enough. What you got cooking?

Black
    2004 GTO A4

Sarge - any other ideas? The shake is much better than it was before I cleaned & rotated the wheels & rotors, but it is still there. Sometimes it is worse than other times. It also changes based off acceleration/deceleration and sometimes is present when cornering.
    Last edited by surfinjoe; 04-30-2008 at 05:31 AM.

Black
    2004 GTO A4

Is there a better way to check for bad wheel bearings?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

EastPoint has a Pedders dealer.....
    Victory Racing Engines
    23205 Gratiot Ave.
    Unit #385
    Eastpointe, MI 48021

Eric@VictoryRacingEngines.com
    www.VictoryRacingEngines.com
    O 586-741-0158
    F 586-203-8408

I'm wondering about the cradle/steering rack now.....but we need to get this thing in the air at a Pedders Dealer to at the least find out WTF is going on man.....I've seen one Goat with a shitty steering rack do this....but far and away we should have fixed this bitch by now.....Gotta be that wheel bearing....cheap ass POS from the factory probably warped........

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    EastPoint has a Pedders dealer.....
    Victory Racing Engines
    23205 Gratiot Ave.
    Unit #385
    Eastpointe, MI 48021

Eric@VictoryRacingEngines.com
    www.VictoryRacingEngines.com
    O 586-741-0158
    F 586-203-8408

I'm wondering about the cradle/steering rack now.....but we need to get this thing in the air at a Pedders Dealer to at the least find out WTF is going on man.....I've seen one Goat with a shitty steering rack do this....but far and away we should have fixed this bitch by now.....Gotta be that wheel bearing....cheap ass POS from the factory probably warped........
    hey sarge. i know someone gave me info on a dealer in an earlier thread way back but i cant find which one cause theres soo many on the gto section..i live in burbank, il. south suburb of chicago. you know where the closest one is by me and a number i can call??
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke View Post
    hey sarge. i know someone gave me info on a dealer in an earlier thread way back but i cant find which one cause theres soo many on the gto section..i live in burbank, il. south suburb of chicago. you know where the closest one is by me and a number i can call??
    From what I see this guy is for the Chicago area/Pedders...
    Michael McBride
    Waukegan Tire & Supply Company, Inc.
    3444 Washington Street
    Waukegan, IL 60085

mitch@waukegantire.com
    http://www.waukegantire.com
    O (847) 336-5305
    F (847) 249-3959

Black
    2004 GTO A4

OK sarge, I'll get her to Eastpoint and see WTF is going on. I got a friend who works at Timken and he is going to try to find me a couple of new wheel bearings. If I get them for free I'll fucking change both of them regardless of them being good or bad. Thanks for all the help. I hate this kind of shit!

hey guys or sarge. would i need to clean the wheel bearing or just the hub and rotor??

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

hey guys or sarge. would i need to clean the wheel bearing or just the hub and rotor??
    The wheel bearing is a sealed assembly.

Your wheels are hub centric meaning they are centered on the hub ring. So you would want to clean that surface rust off that ring on the hub and the flat surface area that the rim seats against.

And believe it or not TQ wrenches do need to be re calibrated. So so yourself a favor and use a quality one that isn't 20 years old and in accurate as hell.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    The wheel bearing is a sealed assembly.

Your wheels are hub centric meaning they are centered on the hub ring. So you would want to clean that surface rust off that ring on the hub and the flat surface area that the rim seats against.

And believe it or not TQ wrenches do need to be re calibrated. So so yourself a favor and use a quality one that isn't 20 years old and in accurate as hell.
    icic...soo i did a pretty good job cleaning everything. i woulda done a better job cleaning it if i knew it was that important but all n all... what i did def cut the shaking down by 50%...soo what your saying is that i dont have to take the caliber (assembly) off at all and just clean the back of the wheel and front rotor part (hub) that the rim sits on right??? excuse me for i do not know these terms so well,lol...also i didnt use a torque wrench, but my friend has a good one soo i'll prob clean it once more and use the torque wrench. But what ft/lb again 90 or sumtin?? and in a triangular pattern??

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

icic...soo i did a pretty good job cleaning everything. i woulda done a better job cleaning it if i knew it was that important but all n all... what i did def cut the shaking down by 50%...soo what your saying is that i dont have to take the caliber (assembly) off at all and just clean the back of the wheel and front rotor part (hub) that the rim sits on right??? excuse me for i do not know these terms so well,lol...also i didnt use a torque wrench, but my friend has a good one soo i'll prob clean it once more and use the torque wrench. But what ft/lb again 90 or sumtin?? and in a triangular pattern??

Yes make sure all surface rust and debris are clean around the hub "ring" which is the center where it protrudes into the wheels center.

And yes the TQ is 100ft lbs. I have found best luck doing a 3 step TQ 50,75,then a 100. You want to go in a star pattern.
    It will also help if you are doing this with someone holding the brake and NOT with the weight of the vehicle keeping the wheel from rotating.

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Yes make sure all surface rust and debris are clean around the hub "ring" which is the center where it protrudes into the wheels center.

And yes the TQ is 100ft lbs. I have found best luck doing a 3 step TQ 50,75,then a 100. You want to go in a star pattern.
    It will also help if you are doing this with someone holding the brake and NOT with the weight of the vehicle keeping the wheel from rotating.
    awesome. im gonna do it exactly the way you told me and honestly i think its gonna be bye bye to wheel shake. i mean i cant hardly feel it as it is and that shit was ddddirty. Can you believe i couldnt get the friggin wheel off??? (mind you the lug nuts are off) ...it was like rusted or corroded on there... i used a rubber mallot, i even lowered the car half way with the jack thinkin the weight would break the seal..eventually i just started fore-arming the shit out of it and after multiple sprays of brake cleaner and ass whoopin it came off after 20 minutes...it def needed a clean,lol

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

awesome. im gonna do it exactly the way you told me and honestly i think its gonna be bye bye to wheel shake. i mean i cant hardly feel it as it is and that shit was ddddirty. Can you believe i couldnt get the friggin wheel off??? (mind you the lug nuts are off) ...it was like rusted or corroded on there... i used a rubber mallot, i even lowered the car half way with the jack thinkin the weight would break the seal..eventually i just started fore-arming the shit out of it and after multiple sprays of brake cleaner and ass whoopin it came off after 20 minutes...it def needed a clean,lol
    I usually lay on the ground towards the middle of the car and give it one or two good boot's from the inside and it breaks loose most of the time...........
    Also the trick to getting the rotors off is to pound on that hub ring while pulling on the rotor and rotating 90* and doing the same.

Black
    2002 T/A WS.6 -- ASC#12

Have you at least had the tires checked for balance? AT LEAST 95% of people that come in to my shop complaining of that is a balance issue or bad tire... that NEEDS to be your first step, its also very cheap...

(if that has been said already I am sorry, didnt feel like reading all the posts)

Black
    2004 GTO A4

Sarge - So I finally got around to checking my hub's. I followed the instructions in the shop manual (remove rims, torque rotors down and apply 10 KG force - pushing and pulling). Both hubs are well within spec. I measured 0.002" total movement (the spec. is 0.008" max.). I still have the shake. Every time I remove the rims, it seems better for a while, but with some driving it gets worse. This makes me think that it has something to do with the rims and rotors. Maybe my torque wrench is bad? I will take my car to pedders, but I was wondering if you had any other ideas? Is there a better way to check for bad struts?

Black
    2004 GTO A4

One word of advice on eliminating frozen rims/rotors. I place some wheel grease on the hub/rotor/rim contact surface. So far, everything comes off very easily everytime. I don't see any reason not to do this, but make sure you use wheel bearing grease and not WD40 or something. You need a grease that will not burn off with some heat.

ok soooo the shake is back..it came back after a hour n a half drive to michigan. keep in mind my buddy with a i/e s2k went too n we raced soo speeds for me were round 140-150+ for awhile..(buslengths) lol. he was like " i knew you were gonna beat me but i couldnt believe how much your car pulled past 100mph) lol..but neways u think this because i didnt use a torque wrench??

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information