my New 04

This is a discussion on my New 04 within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I just got an 04 GTO and Im looking for more power. Totally stock what's the first upgrade i should ...

black
    2004 Pontiac GTO

my New 04

I just got an 04 GTO and Im looking for more power. Totally stock what's the first upgrade i should look into?

Red
    2004 GTO

Depends on your budget. Longtubes and a dyno tune are the best bang for the buck $1800. Gains are about 30 hp at the wheels. Intake and catback will net you a few hp $800. A cam is a good power adder too $1500. I gained 50 at the wheels with mine. There is also a turbo or supercharger you could go$6000. The sky is the limit as long as your pockets stay full.

black
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Thanks I'll look into it.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

These cars are very fun.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 04torridm6 View Post
    Depends on your budget. Longtubes and a dyno tune are the best bang for the buck $1800. Gains are about 30 hp at the wheels. Intake and catback will net you a few hp $800. A cam is a good power adder too $1500. I gained 50 at the wheels with mine. There is also a turbo or supercharger you could go$6000. The sky is the limit as long as your pockets stay full.
    These ideas are a great start but I have to question the costs. LTH are 450 dollars and a good dyno tune is 100/hr. I figure total would be 800.00 tops. Intake and Catback is about right but a good cam is a few hundred dollars and a weekend with you buddies. If you can turn a wrench you can save alot of money to put towards more HP parts.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    If you can turn a wrench you can save alot of money to put towards more HP parts.

Red
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    These ideas are a great start but I have to question the costs. LTH are 450 dollars and a good dyno tune is 100/hr. I figure total would be 800.00 tops. Intake and Catback is about right but a good cam is a few hundred dollars and a weekend with you buddies. If you can turn a wrench you can save alot of money to put towards more HP parts.
    450 would be the cheapest you could go, anything other than OBX or Pacesetter is $1000. Not knocking pacesetter but stainless steel just appealed a bit more. Dyno tunes usually are $300. I usually dont take into consideration that there maybe a mechanical ability unless otherwise stated lol so there goes another 500 in install costs. Now a cam is more than your thinking there. Say $350 for a cam, $275 for springs locks and retainers, $50 for a timing chain, oil pump if the car has higher miles. Then back to the tuner for another $300 in a retune. I know turning the wrenches yourself does save alot, I do it alot too but I also make it a point to do as much insurance work so i dont short change my investment

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 04torridm6 View Post
    450 would be the cheapest you could go, anything other than OBX or Pacesetter is $1000. Not knocking pacesetter but stainless steel just appealed a bit more. Dyno tunes usually are $300. I usually dont take into consideration that there maybe a mechanical ability unless otherwise stated lol so there goes another 500 in install costs. Now a cam is more than your thinking there. Say $350 for a cam, $275 for springs locks and retainers, $50 for a timing chain, oil pump if the car has higher miles. Then back to the tuner for another $300 in a retune. I know turning the wrenches yourself does save alot, I do it alot too but I also make it a point to do as much insurance work so i dont short change my investment
    Well, if you want to add more parts to the install then you have a different figure. I was going by what he said, just a cam. Not every aftermarket cam needs you to change the springs, locks, keepers and so on. If so I would call it a cam kit. I always test the springs before I change them. Locks and keepers can be reused.

Thread Information