Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

my first oil change for the GTO

This is a discussion on my first oil change for the GTO within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Pulse Red GTO Just thinking of this, my light NEVER came on it mine as long as ...

6 Speed / Spice Red

Spice Red
    06 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Pulse Red GTO View Post
    Just thinking of this, my light NEVER came on it mine as long as I owned it!! I had it 20 months & sold it w/ 5,100 miles on it! Although I changed the oil at 800, 2,500 & again at 4,500 w/ synthetic!! But was just thinking my light never came on, I guess I need to start keeping my cars longer!
    The owner's manual says the light might not come on even after a year, but to change the oil at least once a year regardless of that and reset the oil life monitor.

How did you have such an awesome car for almost 2 years and put only 5,100 miles on it?

Torrid Red
    2004 GTO

I have an '04 GTO and I have changed the oil about 8 times on it myself. I bought it new from the dealership and I changed the oil as soon as I got it back but recently the change oil light came on and I have done the procedure to reset it with the gas pedal and turnin the key in the on posistion but no luck. What could I be doing wrong or is this something that I should take to the dealership?

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Tom 06 GTO View Post
    So... why, then, would the engineers at GM do all the research to program the computer (based on rpm's, speed, engine temp, time, etc.) to tell you when to change the oil?

I know the conventional wisdom... I always changed the oil on the 5's with synthetic... 5k, 10k, 15k, etc. until my 02 Z28 with the computer. Is it time to jettison that and just go with what the experts say?

I'm all for good maintenance, but just the same for not wasting money.
    You have to keep in mind GM, being the huge auto maker that they are, also have to be environmentaly friendly as well. The under lying driving force when the initiated the change oil soon thing 15 years ago was to decreese the amount of wast oil being produced, and lower the annual operating cost # at the bottom of the window sticker. I have seen the difference in the internal engine after 50-60k miles and there is a very substantial differnece in the wear indicators of an engine that went the minimum change interval and one that has had oil changed every 5k miles. $50.00 a pop for an oil change is cheap inssurance if you plan on keeping your ride.

6 Speed / Spice Red

Spice Red
    06 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    You have to keep in mind GM, being the huge auto maker that they are, also have to be environmentaly friendly as well. The under lying driving force when the initiated the change oil soon thing 15 years ago was to decreese the amount of wast oil being produced, and lower the annual operating cost # at the bottom of the window sticker. I have seen the difference in the internal engine after 50-60k miles and there is a very substantial differnece in the wear indicators of an engine that went the minimum change interval and one that has had oil changed every 5k miles. $50.00 a pop for an oil change is cheap inssurance if you plan on keeping your ride.
    You may be right, but I'd counter that with the fact that oil is recycled (if you do it yourself, you're supposed to do that), the costs GM would incur in warrantee (original and extended service plans) costs by making oil change intervals longer than they should be and that JD Powers (Consumer Reports, or whoever) ratings for long term repair costs and dependability would hurt GM sales from premature engine failures.

Sorry... I'm not convinced yet that I shouldn't just go by the oil life monitor regardless of what the odometer says (or one year, whichever comes first).

Anyone else want to take a stab at it? I'm open to having my mind changed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information