Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

More Meat in the Rear...

This is a discussion on More Meat in the Rear... within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO http://weldcraftwheels.com/ Originally Posted by cammed goat A few folks I met from the other site swear ...

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    A few folks I met from the other site swear by this company. They are having their wheels widened in the future.
    Okay thanks guys! I'll let my old man know... looks like I'm going to test the waters first and get my own set widened.

Thanks again!

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH.WS6 View Post
    I think people have made claims... just haven't backed them up. I don't think you can fit these tires with out having the proper rim size. I want 315's on the back of my T/A and some guy told me I could fit them on the stock 9" rims. It ain't happening, so Now I'm looking at getting a set widened
    it is worth noting that some tire companies widths run small..such as nittos ...that is why you hear people saying they can run 315s on stock rims ...however you have them run the goodyear GSDs in 315...they would realize they cant.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

No prob. Tell yer dad to post pics when done.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

No prob. Tell yer dad to post pics when done.
    We'll do!

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    it is worth noting that some tire companies widths run small..such as nittos ...that is why you hear people saying they can run 315s on stock rims ...however you have them run the goodyear GSDs in 315...they would realize they cant.
    I have heard that NITTO DR's do... but what about their street tires? I know most people don't even bother with them.

The set I tried was actually the NITTO NT555 street tire. I didn't have them mount them, but putting tire next to the rim you could see there was a big difference.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH.WS6 View Post
    yeah... I think OEM is 8"? I thought the smallest rim width a 275 will fit is 9"
    Not so ,,we have put many of a 275 40 17 nitto drag radials on stock GTO wheels no rub issues at all,you cant do that with a MT drag radial as the section width is about a inch wider ,then the nitto..and it will rub both inside and out on the fender lip,any wider I suggest having someone trim the lip,rolling them will lead to cracked paint.the backspace needs to be at least 7.5 on any wheel put on the GTO.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    Not so ,,we have put many of a 275 40 17 nitto drag radials on stock GTO wheels no rub issues at all,you cant do that with a MT drag radial as the section width is about a inch wider ,then the nitto..and it will rub both inside and out on the fender lip,any wider I suggest having someone trim the lip,rolling them will lead to cracked paint.the backspace needs to be at least 7.5 on any wheel put on the GTO.
    Mine are rolled. I replaced my rear KDW2s with G-Force Sports for my 18s(summer wheels/tires) last summer and they rub. I may cut my rear quarter panel lips. Still debating tho. Gonna try shaving the outer tread on the tires to see if I will have to cut the fenders.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Mine are rolled. I replaced my rear KDW2s with G-Force Sports for my 18s(summer wheels/tires) last summer and they rub. I may cut my rear quarter panel lips. Still debating tho. Gonna try shaving the outer tread on the tires to see if I will have to cut the fenders.
    This is why I posted ,I know people who have had them rolled by so called professionals,they ended up having the car quarters repainted because the stretching of the metal.
    I never even considered rolling mine,its alot simpler to just take some masking tape,draw a line on it and use a cut of wheel,beside not all of the wheel well lip needs cut,the GTO has a weird shape lip ,as its not even,one only needs to cut from the center of the wheel looking at the tire to say 12-15 inches both ways,towards the front of the car and towards the rear,then simply just use some good paint to cover where you cut,my cars black so I use POR 15,thats an expoxy paint,stuffs awesome.you also have to take a big hammer to a spot inside the wheel well,be it all my suspension is stock,the plastic inner fender needs trimmed,and I also took off the heat sheilds.I made my own shock spacers.the tire wheel combo in the pic are 275 60 15 MT drag radials,on a 10x15 billet wheel with a 7.5 BS

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Here are my street wheels they are 9.5 x17 with a nitto drag radial,this is the ONLY tire I will run on the street,simply because they work well,you can do alot of burnout on them and they last!,If you get stuck in the rain,you dont have to drive 10 mph to get home.here is a shot with the nittos on.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

This is why I posted ,I know people who have had them rolled by so called professionals,they ended up having the car quarters repainted because the stretching of the metal.
    I never even considered rolling mine,its alot simpler to just take some masking tape,draw a line on it and use a cut of wheel,beside not all of the wheel well lip needs cut,the GTO has a weird shape lip ,as its not even,one only needs to cut from the center of the wheel looking at the tire to say 12-15 inches both ways,towards the front of the car and towards the rear,then simply just use some good paint to cover where you cut,my cars black so I use POR 15,thats an expoxy paint,stuffs awesome.you also have to take a big hammer to a spot inside the wheel well,be it all my suspension is stock,the plastic inner fender needs trimmed,and I also took off the heat sheilds.I made my own shock spacers.the tire wheel combo in the pic are 275 60 15 MT drag radials,on a 10x15 billet wheel with a 7.5 BS
    Click for full size
    So you reduced the rear shock travel? I also gave that an idea. If I cut my fender lips I will use POR-15. These remedies seem so simple.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

So you reduced the rear shock travel? I also gave that an idea. If I cut my fender lips I will use POR-15. These remedies seem so simple.
    the shock spacer are to move the shocks inwards so they dont hit the wider tire,I have heard of some guy cutting off the shock sheild(part towards top )of the shock,easier to put a spacer on there with a longer bolt,Gforce makes same kinda spacers to move the shocks.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

the shock spacer are to move the shocks inwards so they dont hit the wider tire,I have heard of some guy cutting off the shock sheild(part towards top )of the shock,easier to put a spacer on there with a longer bolt,Gforce makes same kinda spacers to move the shocks.
    Ah. Gotcha.

Yellow
    2005 GTO M6 - One of 498

Interesting comments... Here are mine

I have an 05 GTO with stock 17s, I've been thinking about what to do with my rears now that the original tires are almost worn out (15k on car).

First, prior to my 05 Goat I had a 99 SS with stock 17s that normally run 275s, I wanted more grip so I researched my ass off and found that people were running Nitto 315s DRs on the stock rims. I was worried but I gave it a go, best thing I ever did, the 315s looked awesome, they bit so hard I thought I was going to snap my drive shaft, but most important they fit the stock rims. I have heard that the Nittos run small, don't know how true that can be since they are sold based on their dimensions, but either way, they fit and no "rim widening" operation needed, btw that sounds pretty hokey and possibly dangerous. I have also heard people running 275s on the stock GTO 17s , which are 8.5" wide. I have looked at all of the spacing around the tires in the rear and it looks like there is room for a 275. A 275-40 is almost the same exact diameter tire as the stock GTO 245-45s. If you think about it, 275 is only 30mm larger then stock, which is then split between each side (in and out), thats only 15mm wider on each side which is about a 1/2 inch, thats nothing, should work fine. With a little more research I hope to confirm that I can run the 275s and I will order next month, they will be Nitto DRs, which were quite good in the rain as well.
    Last edited by TheJudge05; 03-10-2010 at 07:50 PM.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by TheJudge05 View Post
    I have an 05 GTO with stock 17s, I've been thinking about what to do with my rears now that the original tires are almost worn out (15k on car).

First, prior to my 05 Goat I had a 99 SS with stock 17s that normally run 275s, I wanted more grip so I researched my ass off and found that people were running Nitto 315s DRs on the stock rims. I was worried but I gave it a go, best thing I ever did, the 315s looked awesome, they bit so hard I thought I was going to snap my drive shaft, but most important they fit the stock rims. I have heard that the Nittos run small, don't know how true that can be since they are sold based on their dimensions, but either way, they fit and no "rim widening" operation needed, btw that sounds pretty hokey and possibly dangerous. I have also heard people running 275s on the stock GTO 17s , which are 8.5" wide. I have looked at all of the spacing around the tires in the rear and it looks like there is room for a 275. A 275-40 is almost the same exact diameter tire as the stock GTO 245-45s. If you think about it, 275 is only 30mm larger then stock, which is then split between each side (in and out), thats only 15mm wider on each side which is about a 1/2 inch, thats nothing, should work fine. With a little more research I hope to confirm that I can run the 275s and I will order next month, they will be Nitto DRs, which were quite good in the rain as well.
    You're fooling yourself if you think a Nitto DR is going to grip in the rain. ... and welcome to Cleveland Pick-A-Part.

Yellow
    2005 GTO M6 - One of 498

Well I ran a Nitto 315 DR on my 99 SS for a year and a half before i sold it, the dry grip was fantastic, and the rain grip I would rate as good... Some of us know how to drive...

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Currently I am having an extra set of 17x9 speedline WS6 rims widened by WeldCraft wheels. They are currently running 2-3 weeks out, so its a waiting game. Its been a week since they called me to inform me that I am in line, so I figured I'm looking at 1-2 more weeks to go.

If you go to Weldcraft's site they will show you a few cars they have done work for. Out side of that I have talked with members of LS1 GTO about Weldcraft and they stand by them as well. From the looks of things there is no need to be worried. Some of the applications these rims have gone on have rediculous horse power and they are holding up. Now in my 2 years as a Mechanical Engineering student I can also verify through testing that welds can sometimes be stronger than the original metal, so again I am not worried about integrity at this point.

My wheels are the guinea pigs since it is an extra set. I will let you know how it turns out guys, then I'll post picks, and let you all know what my dad plans on doing... The one thing he's for sure about after he floored it in 1rst, rolling at 25mph, and the car got sidewise... HE NEEDS MORE TIRE lol

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

not one comment on the thread title. i'm disappointed in you guys.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    i just came in here to post about the title...

Yellow
    2005 GTO M6 - One of 498

I checked out the Weldcraft site, looks pretty neat, I didn't realize what they were doing until I looked. They definately produce some neat looking rims, good luck and post some pics when you are done. Oh yeah, about how much does it cost per rim?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    i just came in here to post about the title...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information